Hi, I am new (almost)

Hi, I am (almost) new to this forum - signed up a couple of years ago, but did not keep up and could not even remember my username.

Well, here I am again, with my AMCAS application in the works, fresh from MCAT (just completed today, still on adrenaline from 8 am test, at 10 pm!).

A little about myself:

41, originally from Ukraine, undergrad in Linguistics/English, MBA, community college prereqs (Biochem left) taken over the course of 3.5 years one at a time, 3.8 SGPA, Kaplan prep for MCAT. No volunteering/shadowing exp - I am pretty much a single mom (husband lives 4 hours away), and with two kids, a full-time job and classes there is little (no) time left…will have to work around/harder or somehow explain on the application…

Was so nervous this morning during chem/physics section of the MCAT that have little hopes for high/decent score…I swear my pulse was around 180…but calmed down mid-way and Verbal and Bio/Orgo went well, or so I feel. So, we shall see.

Two kids, separated from husband.

Working full time, not sure how it all is going to work out financially and otherwise, but going for it because if I do not I will regret for the rest of my life. Friends et al. tell me I should go for a PA degree, but I want to go for the moon and pick up a few stars on my way, hence I am here.

Glad to be back and I am looking forward to contributing and reading the inspirational stories

Lena

• Mooltipas Said:
No volunteering/shadowing exp - I am pretty much a single mom (husband lives 4 hours away), and with two kids, a full-time job and classes there is little (no) time left...will have to work around/harder or somehow explain on the application....

As one of a few Moms on this site, here's my take on your app.

You should definitely try to get some volunteering/shadowing experience on your application as ADCOMS will be expecting you to have the same credentials for admission as traditional students.. Being a Mom with a family and full-time job won't be acceptable an excuse for not having any. Also, shadowing and volunteering in clinical settings not only demonstrates your interest in the medical profession, it also shows you know a little about what you're getting into.

Good luck!

I agree that you’re expected to show the same credentials, but I think that life experience goes along with that. My app had literally zero clinical or non clinical volunteering with a mere 50 hours of clinical shadowing. The leadership and experience I gained in the military and family life helped me immensely. Every non trad premed’s path will be slightly different. Just don’t feel that you necessarily need the ungodly amount of “experiences” of the standard SDN-type applicant, like a billion hours of volunteering and living in a hospital for 4 years, to get into school. By no means am I saying that you don’t need to do things to show you have the drive, brains, etc like everyone else though.

• kennymac Said:
My app had literally zero clinical or non clinical volunteering with a mere 50 hours of clinical shadowing......Just don't feel that you necessarily need the ungodly amount of "experiences" of the standard SDN-type applicant, like a billion hours of volunteering and living in a hospital for 4 years, to get into school.

I agree 1000%.

However, some clinically relevant experience >>>>>>& gt;> no clinical experience whatsoever.

I also learned a LONG time ago that the SDN isn't an authority on med school admissions for nontrads, Oldpremeds IS.

Thank you!

I will search the forum to see how most oldpremeds got their clinical exp. I am not sure where to start. I would like to actually be doing something at the hospital as opposed to just watching.

I work at a wound care management company…but in finance. However, I know how wound care centers work, what procedures are done, etc. I visited a center and watched MDs debride wound patients…and those wounds are really bad, and smelly. I can get more of that and I can figure out other shadowing opportunities. But again, I’d rather be doing something…and how do I get to doing if I am not a nurse/nurse aid, etc.

…will figure out

Thanks!

Hi there! Like you, my friends and family were encouraging me to go for the PA program rather than Med school at this stage in my life; I have two little girls and a hubby with his own law practice, so our family isn’t very portable. But I got my official acceptance into med school last week, and I’m shooting for the moon. Hey, if a Music teacher can make it, so can you! Congrats on finishing your MCAT, and don’t let the world stop going after what you want. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

Lena- yes we know it’s a mooltipass!

Ideas for volunteering. … Free health clinic. It is not about getting clinical skills. It’s about interacting with patients and (shadowing) about seeing the physician roll. Also, some hospitals use “scribes” in the ER - often one of the best ways to get experience.

Shadowing ideas- ask you personal physician, or your kids pediatrician about shadowing. I got some great support from the family practice docs our family used.

Kate.

Lena- yes we know it’s a mooltipass!

Ideas for volunteering. … Free health clinic. It is not about getting clinical skills. It’s about interacting with patients and (shadowing) about seeing the physician roll. Also, some hospitals use “scribes” in the ER - often one of the best ways to get experience.

Shadowing ideas- ask you personal physician, or your kids pediatrician about shadowing. I got some great support from the family practice docs our family used.

Got Togo cook supper. Chickon! Good Chickon!

Kate.

Hi Lena,

I am in a similar situation to you–divorced with kids, working full-time and finishing off pre-reqs. It is definitely not an easy choice, but you have to contemplate what you want to do with your education at the end of the day. PAs serve a very important role, but there is a ceiling in terms of income and autonomy. On the other hand, their field is expanding internationally as well–UK has PAs. They are also easily able to change specialties, but I am hearing that may be changing in the future.

It seems very appealing, and for the right person and goals it is. After 28 months of medical school, you’d be in your clinical years. Can you imagine just studying and not having to work for a change? I feel like I have answered my own question by replying to you. Medical school it is. Thank you!

Musa