Hi there.

Hello! Until a few days ago, I was a regular at another popular forum for pre-meds, but found a link to this forum in a post, and after reading around for a bit I can say that it’s good to be here! The “other forum” is ripe with a very cynical, and for some reason jaded, younger crowd, such that I usually have to sift through threads to find appropriate/informative answers to questions. So far it seems like OPM doe not quite match the cynical magnitude of the other said forum.

For anyone who feels like commenting:

I am a veteran (two tours with 3rd bn, 1st mardiv, L co, as a navy corpsman), 26, and almost 2 years into my time in college. I am a cell/molec bio major (I’ve heard all the hype about why you should NOT choose biology as a major, but honestly it is what I am most interested in…I love studying the cell!!), plenty of experience as a pcp for a platoon of marines, and maintaining a 3.8 GPA right now.

As of lately, I figured out that I am horrible at calculus (I have nearly no background in math…I came close to failing out of high school and the college I just transferred to pushes its students really hard…I think they call it “academic rigor,” whereas I call it a fantastic over-expectation for a bachelor’s degree…here I am though and here I will have to stay) so my overall GPA will suffer, but I chose to push through it instead of taking a W because it is revealing my weaknesses as a student, which I intend on using to better myself for the big day when I start med school classes. That, and if I withdraw the VA will want their money back, which I cannot afford, with a wife and all.

My school and program of choice would be U of Minnesota @ Duluth, in the rural/reservation medicine track, hopefully on the flexible-MD program. I completely understand the dynamics of admitting out-of-state students, but hopefully being a registered member of the Navajo Nation will persuade their decision in that regard. I also understand that it is, in some ways, a complete roll of the dice. Other choices include anywhere that is rural and really cold, with NW @ Chicago thrown in there by virtue that I love Chicago.

So, that is me! I appreciate thoughts and thank you to OPM for letting me join.

-J

welcome aboard, rather appropriate phrase in your case, though I am sure that you spend much more time on the ground than on a ship.

Several former military abound on our site. SDN can be full of snot nosed young undergrads who they think they know absolutely the only right way to do things and knock you down like a truck going full speed. Here you get knock down by what we all go thru (like calculus) and then help each other up.

SDN does have a lot of good people and info and we have been partners with them for many years.

Welcome to OPM! I’m so glad you have found this site, and have found it to be a welcoming and helpful place.

I just wanted to let you know that I live in Chicago, so if you have any questions about Chicago med schools, or about Chicago in general, feel free to PM me. I’ll be applying to most of the Chicago schools, and have done some research on them.

Best wishes with your degree, and keep us posted on your progress!

• Jfowler Said:
I figured out that I am horrible at calculus (I have nearly no background in math...I came close to failing out of high school and the college I just transferred to pushes its students really hard...

First, welcome to OPM! All of us are happy to have you and to answer any questions you may have.

Secondly, math is pure evil. I am the unofficial OPM cheerleader for Khan Academy and highly recommend it for getting help in that arena. It's free, there are more practice problems than you'll ever do and great, short videos to explain the problems. Also, again, FREE. I love free stuff.

Good luck!

Hi Jfowler,

It’s good to finally see some more military people over here on OPM. Welcome!

• Jfowler Said:
The "other forum" is ripe with a very cynical, and for some reason jaded, younger crowd, such that I usually have to sift through threads to find appropriate/informative answers to questions. So far it seems like OPM doe not quite match the cynical magnitude of the other said forum.

Yeah, I feel you on this. Since OPM doesn't have a milmed forum of its own I sometimes have to go over there, though I hold my nose when I do.

• Jfowler Said:
I've heard all the hype about why you should NOT choose biology as a major, but honestly it is what I am most interested in...I love studying the cell...

Actually what really matters is that you pick a major that you find interesting and enjoy; it sounds like you have done that.

My 2¢ is that it looks like you have a fantastic background (both academic and personal) that will be an asset for medical school when the time comes. Sorry about calculus - it seems like we all have at least one class that's an Achilles heel. Good luck with everything and keep up the good work.

@ all: Thank you much for the encouragement and welcome; it’s a nice change of pace from what I normally hear. Hopefully I’ll be able to contribute my share to this community in the time to come.

• Jfowler Said:
My school and program of choice would be U of Minnesota @ Duluth

Acutely aware of the program there and it's directors, faculty, and program administrators; oh, and of course, the city itself!

B-U-L-L-D-O-G-S!!!

Send me a PM if you have any questions and I'll try to help. The director of admissions there is awesome and helped me create my own path toward rural family med.

Cannot say enough great things about the school up there (I'm in Minneapolis now; have been for almost 20 years).