Hidey Ho Neighbors

Hi…whew…I haven’t told anyone except my spouse and a few very close friends that I am even considering this…

Currently I am a 35yr old Stay at home Mom of 5. 2 years ago I went back to school with a goal of a nursing degree sometime in the last 12 months as I aced science and math pre-reqs without really trying I began to let that old childhood dream of being a Dr. flicker awake. I am just finishing Micro, and planning to enter my 2nd semester of nursing school. I have requested information about completing a Human Bio degree at my local 4yr university hoping to be able to complete the ADN so I can pay for more school LOL. Feeling apprehensive and excited and just a little crazy. HA

Anyway glad I’m not the only “non-trad” working towards a dream.

Good luck to you! It can’t be easy to do all that school with all your responsibilities. It’s great that you have support from your inner circle.

It’s so scary saying it out loud, isn’t it? Because the WHAT IF I DONT GET IN premature shame sets in. Kudos for saying it out loud here, and I hope you get to say it out loud to people who can support you in person. As a mom of littles, having someone willing to take them to play for a bit so I could do homework would be a dream. You got this, Mama.

@NarcissticBalogna wrote:

It’s so scary saying it out loud, isn’t it? Because the WHAT IF I DONT GET IN premature shame sets in. Kudos for saying it out loud here, and I hope you get to say it out loud to people who can support you in person. As a mom of littles, having someone willing to take them to play for a bit so I could do homework would be a dream. You got this, Mama.

It’s TERRIFYING! I’m currently saying all the extra science courses are so I’m in a good position academically for MSN :shock: Which I guess is where I’ll end up if Med school doesn’t happen (The What if I don’t get in!!!)

Three of my kiddos are special needs and 2 are typical so there are a lot of balls being juggled through the air all the time. Add in possibly having to move or Commute long distance and I’m just…gah (there are only 2 med schools in my entire state)

Hugs-- you are taking on a lot! I hope you can get support. You have shown that you can do hard things, and I am rooting so hard for you. Also in the limited med school option boat-- just one in my state. Fingers crossed!

My husband is very supportive, as are the friends who know. They have no doubts that I have the chops for this. If only I didn’t let my doubts chip away LOL!

I told a professor yesterday…He seemed excited (and a little disappointed because he hoped I was jumping ship from nursing program to Lab tech program which is his baby LOL) Slowly increasing my pool of people who are at least vaguely aware of my dream.

Told my Gen Chem professor she was so excited she was nearly vibrating. LOL.

I guess maybe I’m an impressive student haha.

1 more lecture and then a final for Microbiology this next week. Currently holding a 91% Lecture exams I earn 93% on average…lab exams are 82% average. Oh well. So if all goes well I"ll keep the A giving me a 3.8gpa

I’m meeting with an admissions adviser on Monday at the university see what I need to do to transfer in a year. (wow scary)

That’s got to be such a confidence boost! That’s fantastic.

Finished Microbiology last week. Received an A Current GPA 3.8.

Decided to take abnormal psych this fall along with the classes towards ADN So I’ll have 13 credits plus 12 hours of clinicals this fall. Yikes.

I guess maybe I’m an impressive student haha.

ฝึกภาษาอังกฤษ

Rock on! It was encouraging to read your post. I’m in the same boat (sort of). Stay at home mom. 13 hours this semester, and trying to fit in my ECs. 3 kids, the youngest being special needs and a high gpa. My husband’s career keeps us city locked, so I’m only able to apply to 4 med schools. And then I’ll also need to match here! Scary stuff. I’m the epitome of ‘old premed’ at 43, but it took me forever to realize that this didn’t have to be a pipe dream. As I’ve finished each prereq, the plan becomes more real. Every time you finish a class with an A, you will become more confident that YOU CAN DO THIS. It becomes less scary as each semester goes by. You obviously have the ability to juggle huge amounts and still rock your classes, you got this!

Congrats on the high GPA! As someone who doesn’t have kids and is in his 30s, I can’t imagine how you do it, but it’s inspiring nevertheless. Are you applying to allopathic (MD) schools?

@Dombarb wrote:

Congrats on the high GPA! As someone who doesn’t have kids and is in his 30s, I can’t imagine how you do it, but it’s inspiring nevertheless. Are you applying to allopathic (MD) schools?

Undecided…I have 2 years of undergrad stuff yet. There are only 2 school in my state both allopathic. I however am drawn to osteopathic as it tends to be more holistic in approach.

I’m at an allopathic school but have had some interactions with DOs on the floor. In the grand scheme of things, everyone practices the same style of medicine. It’s all about the evidence-based algorithms/plans/treatments while treating the “whole person” (for both good practice as well as reimbursement reasons). Of the DO students I’ve spoken with, even they said that through their rotations they haven’t noticed really any difference between MDs and DOs in practice. There are some DOs at schools that are gung-ho osteopathic manipulation technique (OMT) stuff, but the reality of it is that only a very small percentage actually carry those techniques into daily practice. Caveat to my statement is that I’ve never first-hand seen how an all-DO hospital is run.

With residencies merging, insurance driving medical practices, and an increasing demand without matching increase in supply of doctors, I would guess MD vs DO will all be a wash in the end. One thing for pro-MD track is that there is a LOT of time dedicated to OMT during DO school which MD students can put to other use. Another thing to think about is whether the school is tied with a teaching hospital (aka will you have to travel a ton during 3rd and 4th year for required rotations). DO schools, in general, seem to be more mobile during those years.

Lots of things to consider in where you want to go to school. Philosophy and education style are definitely among those, but I think there is a much smaller gap in the philosophies of MD/DO than DO recruiting may lead you to believe (I can’t back that up with data).

Hi! New here, just found this site from a link on sdn. Glad I did. I am a new-grad RN (little over a year working acute care). Nursing is what made me decide medicine. Like you, breezed through my classes with A’s and wanting to know more! Now that I work in acute care alongside physicians, I am so passionate about medicine and really enjoying this “pre med” cycle. I started my BSN (RN-BSN bridge) the summer after I graduated and will be done in March; at the same time I’ll start taking the pre req science classes that’ll fulfill med school requirements and also help me to prepare for the MCAT.

I honestly am so fortunate that life turned out the way it did for me. I am an RN making good money that gives me the ability to pay for school, while working in the environment that I hope to work in someday as a physician and gaining so much clinical experience. I graduated at 17 years old and the “younger” me had no clue what she wanted out of life. I turn 24 this year and I feel like I’ve matured into myself so much that I can actually enjoy it for what it is now as a nontrad, versus straight through the pipeline or however you want to look at it.

I say, if you like the nursing thing then do it! If your med school dreams don’t work out (which they will) then you will have a stable career in a field that is always in demand and that offers so much opportunity for advancements, like nurse practitioner. But no matter what, do what you truly want to do and don’t be ashamed of it! :smiley:

Hi

Just a quick update. Almost done with my first “real” clinical for the nursing program I’m in. Orthopedic Post Surgical Holy crow that was fun…repetitive Total knee total knee total knee. Oooo Total Hip. That was basically my experience LOL. Next two rotations are shorter community clinics and OB at the end of this semester I am eligible to take the LPN NCLEX If I do that I can work, and just focus on my science courses. I’m not sure what I want to do as far as the nursing program I’m in goes.

I talked with my Dr. about Medical school, and what it’s like to be a Dr. He invited me to shadow for a few days. I may take him up on that. He encouraged me to start studying for the MCAT Now if I plan to take it in 2019 So That’s the plan. I’m doing free study right now, but will get in a class in January and spend a year prepping.

A lot to think about, mull over, and weigh.

Great, sounds like you are having fun with the process!

Finished first block of Classes. 2 A’s Onto second block of classes. 7 more weeks.

Nothing really worked for science with my schedule for the Spring Semester so I signed up for an Online Math course which will hopefully help me prepare for Physics.

I know Physics 1 is offered during the summer. IF Chem 1 is also offered I’m set. Otherwise I’ll try Advanced Microbiology or Principals of Sustainability.

They won’t open the summer classes for perusing until January. We’ll see. LOL

I’ve done Gen Chem, Intro to Biochem, and Principals of Microbiology. The former two will not count towards the Bio Science degree which rather stinks. But hey. Whatcha gonna do.

Hyperventilating…I may have a stroke…Just planning my schedule for the next 2 years. It’s all good…