How did you choose?

How did you finally come upon choosing a major?

My main plan as of now is to apply to medical school, but I’m still early on in knocking out my pre-reqs at a community college in California. I understand that I can major in anything I want and to choose what I am passionate about, but I am asking more about realistic logistics than just passion as I am passionate in many things. I’m somebody who tends to want to do it all and not be pigeon-holed, so choosing a major for me is difficult . Shadowing is something I have done and being a physician is amazing, but I also want to keep my options open. A part of me wants to major in Kinesiology - Exercise Science as it sounds the most interesting to me and it’ll allow me to do Physical Therapy or PA if those end up being more appealing to me in the next couple years as the KIN major pre-reqs involve microbiology, anatomy, physiology, etc., but that’s also a lot more classes to have to do. I’ve been considering nursing recently as a major as that would allow me to have an employable job (for a year until I reapply) in case I don’t get into medical school whereas kinesiology may not. If medical school is the ultimate goal, a part of me says why take all the extra classes in a Kin major? Instead do something in a human biology major that will get me to my ultimate destination faster. Every school and every major has a different classes that are required so I am becoming extremely anxious and just sick and tired of trying to line up all my ducks in a row to be able to choose from different majors. Does anyone have any advice? Been through something similar? I am exacerbated beyond belief at the amount of energy I’ve put into figuring majors, classes that transfer, costs, and all the other logistical BS.

I answered this on tomorrows (Session 113) of the OldPreMeds podcast!