How do you guys battle procrastination?

• Doc Gray Said:
A quote from one of the largest brands in the world - "just do it."

Often times we sit down to schedule everything we have to do and then never actually take action, until the last critical moments.

Unplug from the distracts and just START. You'd be surprised how much you actually do by just starting SOMETHING. Don't think to much about it, because you just end up with no action.

A small trick I have been trying recently in my personal life is writing a small list before bed of tasks that I need to accomplish the next day. So far it's been working pretty well.

Good luck and get going!

Wonderful reply! Even I’m the great follower of the phrase - “Just do it”.
  • ktgk Said:
I realized that I don't have time to act like an 18 year old college student?

Procrastination affects lots of OLD pre-meds, and isn't about immaturity, as so many have posted - it's about chasing perfection, and avoiding projects that look too big to start.

Since this thread got a bump, I endorse the post from Kate aka Licia - her advice is solid, and is actually what our school trained student mentors to teach failing students. The best thing is to break things down. Write your scary giant thing and then write 3 things it could be split into. For example, "Prep for Physiology Final" could be split into:

• Skim notes from review session
  • Review topics I bombed on prior exams
  • Review material from last 2 weeks that will take up a huge portion of exam

Each of those can be further broken down into 3 things, until you have tiny pieces to act on, rather than huge chunks.

Additionally, if you're a visual person invest in that giant to-do list whiteboard, or a really annoying app if you have a smartphone (OmniFocus for iPhone is both a blessing and the most infuriating thing ever).

Everything I plan uses lists on whiteboards. If I don't cross them out, my husband teases me. It's excellent motivation, and works well with my competitive side.

In my field, we call it “partializing”. Breaking down a treatment goal to tiny enough chunks so that patient is assured to succeed at some level and build confidence to move on.

I’ve found that Pomodoro technique is the best anti-procrastination antidot for me.

Plus I found Pomodorium , it’s kind of rpg game based for pomodoro technique makes pomodoro technique less boring .:smiley: