How does dropping a second bachelor's (for FASA) look to medical schools?

I’m enrolling in a state university nearby to take my prerequisites and would love to get some feedback on this. I’m a 29 year old, non-trad. I just got a job as a Health Care Assistant at the university’s hospital to get patient contact hours and healthcare experience. In six months I will be able to get a reduction in tuition there. However, this position pays barely anything and with it, I can’t afford the cost of my classes. I’m just taking this job for the experience. Since I have my bachelors already and I’m not enrolled in a program, there is no post-bacc program at this school, I’m not eligible for FASA. From reading various forums, some have recommended enrolling in a second bachelors, in order to gain access to FASA, and not actually finish the second degree. My question is, does this looks bad to medical schools? Particularly does this look bad to not finish a second degree at one of the medical schools I plan on applying to. I need the student loans but I don’t want to look like one who doesn’t finish things.

Thanks in advance to all the feedback! :slight_smile:

@itsjess wrote:

I’m enrolling in a state university nearby to take my prerequisites and would love to get some feedback on this. I’m a 29 year old, non-trad. I just got a job as a Health Care Assistant at the university’s hospital to get patient contact hours and healthcare experience. In six months I will be able to get a reduction in tuition there. However, this position pays barely anything and with it, I can’t afford the cost of my classes. I’m just taking this job for the experience. Since I have my bachelors already and I’m not enrolled in a program, there is no post-bacc program at this school, I’m not eligible for FASA. From reading various forums, some have recommended enrolling in a second bachelors, in order to gain access to FASA, and not actually finish the second degree. My question is, does this looks bad to medical schools? Particularly does this look bad to not finish a second degree at one of the medical schools I plan on applying to. I need the student loans but I don’t want to look like one who doesn’t finish things.

Thanks in advance to all the feedback! :slight_smile:

I don’t think it will reflect on your med school applications at all. That’s what I did when I went back for my pre-reqs, and I never heard anything about it.

Hi there,

I don’t think it will reflect on your transcripts that the classes you took are ‘from a program you didn’t finish.’ They just see grades. Do well =) and don’t rush. I feel like as premeds everyone is under a lot of pressure to spread ourselves thin. I was reading a post that one non-trad also took 3 years or so to take pre-reqs because financially that was all he could afford. He did very well in them and it wasn’t looked down upon or brought up at his interviews.

I am 28 yo non-trad, looking to take my prereqs all over again. it’s been about ten years for me but I also cannot quit my day job in case I don’t get it the first time around. I would be left unemployed with no income. If I keep my day job and take my prereqs, I will still be able to have a job while trying again for the 2nd time. Although, the goal is to do well enough in my post bacc and MCAT as to NOT HAVE TO REDO my MCAT or re-apply.

:smiley:

Welcome to oldpremeds.org fellow non-trad!!!

This is a nonissue. When you load up your transcripts it’s going to ask you if these classes are for a degree where you’ll check the box that says “No”, or have a drop down menu where you pick “Post Baccalaureate, Non-degree” and that’ll be it. Having to declare a “degree” in order to get a preferential registration for classes is pretty common, don’t stress. Good luck to you on your journey!