How many courses in a semester?

SO - if one can afford a year without a job and studies full-time + 10 hours volunteer work … where to draw the line?

Is it wise to register with this plan…

Spring-2011

Gen Chem I and II (if they let me)

Gen Phy I

Gen Bio I

Math I(Which one is advised? Calc or Algebra?)

I had Chemistry in HS and I just picked a book and I do remember a lot of it or it is coming back to me. I will brush it up before Jan-11. Also, I would need to brush up Algebra (was my strong point). I cannot seem to remember much of Calculus.

Summer-2011

Org Chem I

Eng I

Fall-2011

Gen Phy II

Org Chem II

Gen Bio II

Math II

Eng II

Looking for lots of feedback please.

Chicbrownie, I’m in chem I and bio I and that requires a lot in and of itself. Granted, I work every third day as a fire paramedic, but still, you’re biting off quite a lot! This is particularly true considering that the science courses require labs as well!

The general consensus I’ve heard is that it’s better to take fewer classes and do well in them. Just my opinion, hope it helps…

Thanks GuitarDan77. Always helpful to know…

• ChicBrownie Said:
SO - if one can afford a year without a job and studies full-time + 10 hours volunteer work ... where to draw the line?

Rule 4: Don’t Bite Off More Than You Can Chew

Rule 5: Do Not Risk Bad Grades By Taking Too Much

Rule 7: Learn To Be a Student

Jumping in with both feet and not knowing how deep the water can be, is a common mistake made by non-trads. The question I always ask is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly?

• ChicBrownie Said:

Is it wise to register with this plan...

Spring-2011

Gen Chem I and II (if they let me)

Gen Phy I

Gen Bio I

Math I(Which one is advised? Calc or Algebra?)

Taking Chem II without having completed Chem I, no matter how much you remember from high school (how many years ago was high school) is extremely ill advised, not too mention the simple time factor of having both courses at once. Additionally a good solid grasp of algebra is needed for chemistry and is REQUIRED for Physics and Calculus. And if you haven't been in school for a while, and have those skills such as studying, taking notes, and taking exams, up to highway speed, you are more likely than not to crash and burn.

• ChicBrownie Said:

Summer-2011

Org Chem I

Eng I

Assuming you do not take both chem semesters as I suggested above, then taking Organic is ill-advised. If your school runs the typical short summer term, taking Organic in the summer putting 15 weeks of schooling into 5 weeks. I did it, it aint pretty and I was only doing lecture. The kids who took both lecture and lab, were dropping were flies. People can do it, but it is more than a full time job for those few weeks. Luxuries like eating, sleeping will have to given up.

• ChicBrownie Said:

Fall-2011

Gen Phy II

Org Chem II

Gen Bio II

Math II

Eng II

Assuming for a minute that you actually were able to take all the previous and now come to this term. This is extremely a full schedule that doesn't mention the labs for Physics, Bio, or Organic (ask someone about the 6 hour afternoon organic labs especially when you get no product to hand in)

Just to make sure that my view is clearly understood, your proposed schedule is at best foolhardy and will likely lead you to disaster.

I am not a fan of any post-bacc (formal or informal) that tries to complete all courses in a single year. That is because you have twp pairs of chemistry sequences with lab (general and organic), and two pair of biology sequences with lab(general and advanced). If you try this from a "dead start" finish in a single calendar you either start with a summer of general chemistry and general biology or end with a summer of organic chem and advanced bio. The latter greatly impacts your resources and timing to take MCAT and the former could overwhelm before you even had a chance to start.

Lastly, most students ignore the fact that MCAT should be considered a full term by itself. Not a single full term course, but a full term of courses. It is not an exam that your regular coursework will prepare you for.

There is one good thing about your proposed scheduled. It is still only proposed and needs to be reconsidered and placed within your overall strategy

My DIY post-bac looks like this:

Fall 2009: Chem I, Bio I, Physics I (all with labs), ~20 hrs/week work

Spring 2010: Chem II, Bio II, Physics II (all with labs), ~20 hrs/week work

Fall 2010: OChem I, Cell Bio, Physiology, Research, ~10 hrs/week work

Spring 2011: OChem II, maybe Genetics or BioChem, MCAT

I also volunteer about 2-3 hrs/week during all that. It was/is pretty stressful and I consider it quite a full load. My GPA is 4.0 so far but I haven’t had many weekends free. In fact, I’m studying for an OChem test all this weekend.

So perhaps you can use my experience so far as a guide when making your decision.

Your view is completely understood.

Good luck on your test and thanks for sharing your schedule.

Were you also working part-time? or only school and volunteer work.

ChicBrownie -

I did it in a post-bacc and we did NOT do a general and an advanced biology series. We did Gen Chem I and II in the summer (with lab) and nobody worked. That wasn’t pretty, but much better than organic chemistry. I’m not sure it’s viable without a really fabulous instructor - (which we had), who will invest lots of extra time to help you (which he did). Then we did Bio I, Organic Chem I, and Physics 1 (algebra based) in the fall, with three labs, and Bio II, Organic Chem II and Physics II in the spring with bio and physics lab, but most of us put off organic lab till the summer because it truly was too heavy a schedule with all three courses and labs. Organic lab IS the biggest/most time consuming lab, particularly 2nd semester.

It is important to triage one’s schedule to give one the best possible chance to excel. Continuing to work and taking only Chemistry I and algebra prior to the start of your proposed schedule, and then doing only one Chemistry in the first full semester might at least make the beginning more viable. You’d have an opportunity to see how much time Chemistry takes so you could judge how much additional you could take with the second semester of chemistry.

Kate

ChicBrownie, do you already have an undergrad degree? If so, consider doing the math NOW as self study or via a tutor. Unless you absolutely have to take calc-based physics, an algebra and trig review will be enough to get you through chem and physics. Devote enough time to the courses that have lab requirements. The labs are tedious, and IMHO worthless in the long run, but you still have to check them off the list. I agree with the other posts that you will probably need more time to complete all the prereqs. A sense of urgency is good to keep you motivated, but don’t let it set you up for burnout.

This is helpful Kate. I get the picture. I will take lighter load for the first sem to test the work load.

Kate - Advanced Biology series was recommended by the pre-med advisor at local University … and they said it helps with MCAT. It is not a requirement for the local med school though. What do you think about that?

jmdmd, I do have an undergrad and post-grad but they are not from US … so I have to repeat the math. Interesting thing is according to the University - I do not need to repeat Physics… but I really do not remember much of Physics, so I plan to take it anyways.

I have checked out the Algebra and Calculus books from library to brush them up anyways.

yes, i worked part-time (and still am). in my post, the “~20 hrs/week work” meant i was working part-time about 20 hours per week. so it’s school, work (~10 hrs/week), volunteer, and research right now for me this semester.

Thanks for confirming. You are doing very well. Good Luck once again.