How much easier to get into your state's schools?

Dear friends,
Is it substantially easier to get into the state supported medical schools where you reside? What do you think?
As always, thank your for the advice. I hope to one day meet all of you on the other side of this fence.
Bill

In my opinion, YES as long as you are in the competitive range.

Except for us folks here in California sad.gif

For NC I can quote some statistics for you right from the MSAR. For the 2002 entering class: (160 spots)
In state:
Applicants 744
App Interviewed 435
Accepted 143

Out-of-State:
Applicants 2280
App Interviewed 103
Accepted 17
Therefore, ergo and hence as an NC resident I have a 1 in 2 chance of being interviewed and a 1 in 8 chance of being accepted. If I was not a resident of NC, I would have a 1 in 23 chance of being interviewed and a dismal 1 in 135 chance of being accepted. Tell me where you live and/or would like to go and Ill give you the stats for your state.
DRD

The Univ of Maryland give preference to Maryland residents only if thet meet their standards and makes it clear to students who do the admissions lunches that they will take out-of-state students if they are better qualified. The stats that I pulled from the school's website is:
# states represented by student body: 49 (plus several foreing countries)
Class of 2006 In-state/Out-of-state: 87%/13%
I have been pleasantly suprised at the diversity of places my classmates come from considering that I go to a state school.
Tara

It really depends on which state you’re in.
Some states are much easier than others. It usually comes down to a numbers game.
(Number of schools in the state vs. number of applicants).
Here’s a link to AAMC’s site listing applicants by state of legal residence and
their in or out of state matriculation status based on 2002 data. AAMC Data

Jeff in Seattle

For my state school in Oklahoma, they accept 50% of all in-state applicants.
For out of state its something like 15%

On an interesting side-note, I read this afternoon in the latest Texas Medical Association magazine that they've thrown their support to the idea of increasing enrollment slots at the state's (Texas) medical schools. Mind you, this comes in the midst of a huge $9 Billion state revenue shortfall for the fiscal year, so it remains to be seen if it will come to be. That said, I've heard that my incoming class this year at UT Health Science in San Antonio increased their slots by 10% to 220 MS-1's. The article said that the smaller schools in Texas (Tx. A&M, Tx. Tech, and UNT in Ft. Worth) would see their slots rise in number. The article gave the reasons for the increases in seats to include 1). large numbers of current physicians leaving practice (either early retirement or moving out of state) and 2.) and rather large drop in the number of IMG's coming in to take residency slots. Being a new MS-1 I'm still kind of new to all of this, but I find it fascinating! Can't wait till July 7th!

Thanks to all for your timely and insightful replies.

Bill

QUOTE (MD/PhD slave @ Jun 23 2003, 10:14 PM)
For my state school in Oklahoma, they accept 50% of all in-state applicants.
For out of state its something like 15%

Oh Great, just my luck - I'm in CT where of all those who applied, 21.6% matric. were in state and 32.4% of those matric. were out of state - hmmmm, maybe I should move.
One question: CT accepts 80 new students, but the chart says 66 in state and 99 out of state as the numbers for 2002. I'm I reading something wrong?

Here’s my spin on the AAMC data looking specifically at Connecticut.
306 Connecticut residents applied. 66 Connecticut residents matriculated to instate schools,
99 Connecticut residents matriculated to out of state schools and 141 Connecticut residents did not matriculate anywhere.
This data refers just to people who have matriculated (enrolled).
It does not list acceptance data. For example, a resident may have been accepted
to their instate school but decided instead to enroll in an out of state school.
Therefore they would be categorized under “out of state matriculants”.
I do feel your pain……only 17% of Washington resident applicants matriculated
to our state’s only medical school in 2002. sad.gif
AAMC Data

Jeff in Seattle

QUOTE (drd @ Jun 19 2003, 10:55 PM)
For NC I can quote some statistics for you right from the MSAR. For the 2002 entering class: (160 spots)
In state:
Applicants 744
App Interviewed 435
Accepted 143

Out-of-State:
Applicants 2280
App Interviewed 103
Accepted 17
Therefore, ergo and hence as an NC resident I have a 1 in 2 chance of being interviewed and a 1 in 8 chance of being accepted. If I was not a resident of NC, I would have a 1 in 23 chance of being interviewed and a dismal 1 in 135 chance of being accepted. Tell me where you live and/or would like to go and Ill give you the stats for your state.
DRD

One of the most useful statistics is NOT published in the MSAR (nor anywhere else easily available that I can determine). It is "How many acceptances were offered?" Without that data, it is very difficult to put the "Accepted" stats into any perspective at all, including the ratio of in-state vs. out-of-state offers.
In 2001, the "consortium schools" (the 13 [private med school] "Ivies" of academic research medical institutions) had yield rates (percent offered that matriculated) ranging from 33% to 68%. In other words, for every 3 offers made at the one institution, only 1 person matriculated. The top "yielding" school was that institution that captured Joe Wright. :-) The others in that group are more clusterd in the 40-55% range.
Cheers,
Judy

These are valid populations, and valid percentages. But since the populations consist overwhelmingly of traditional applicants, you should consider the percentages applicable to you only if you are a traditional applicant. There are not enough non-traditional applicants in these populations to draw statistically significant conclusions. (Can you tell I'm a statistician?)
Most of the state medical schools here in the Midwest assign points to rank candidates. Some state schools (Indiana, Michigan State) assign a lot of points to state of residency. But each school also weights other characteristics very highly. And you may get enough points for the other factors to tip the scale in your favor.
You don't know unless you apply. Make them reject you. Come on, you're already at least two standard deviations out there, hopefully on the good side.
Susan - Chicago/Minneapolis

Many thanks for the different perspectives. We should all get together and start a company. With your brains and my brawn (joke) we will go far!
Bill

FYI,
From usnews, 2002 UNC stats were

Enr/Acc/Int/App
142/183(26%)/429/703 In state
18/41(2%)/72/2166 Out of state

But keep in mind that the 183 does not include all the NC residents who got into another school such as Duke and either withdrew pre or post interview. Does anyone know how many of the 703 were actually rejected?
More stats: In 2001?, four out of five applicants over the age of 38 do not get into any medical school. (MSAR 02)