How old is too old...

A word about “they cannot reject you because of age”. It should be worded: “they cannot use the stated reason of age as the reason for rejecting you.” I have found that “they” can find many, many reasons for rejecting you because of your age using other reasons. In my case (if you can believe this) because I already had a PhD!!! Another was “because of the mix of students already selected”. Still another was “no response” (that is no reason was given because they pretended not to get my application. And on and on. My reason for adding this comment is to let you know that the age criterion is VERY MUCH a concern of review committees. Get a strong, well placed champion for you inside the committee. I was 56-57 while applying. I was turned down by the medical school that I was teaching at as a professor in anatomy, physiology and radiology! Go figure. It all is good though. I am now doing what I love in my private practice in Monterey, CA.

Yes, you are crazy, but no crazy than any one else here. I’m sure it has been mentioned before but how old are you going to be in 10 years if you don’t go to medical school? The same age!

I think that one of the things that is in our benefit is that while yes, we (I’m 43 too) will have to wait to be in our 50s before we are full-fledged attendings, we can also find that each step can be fun and enjoyable…even when we are up to our necks studying and stressing. Most traditional students are just looking to finish not realizing half the fun is in getting there!

Keep going! You’ll do it!

I was in your shoes!! I celebrated my 45th BD in June and have one more pre-req to complete before starting the doctorate in January. We are on trimesters here, with no break for summer, so I will finish in December 2012, at 49.5 y.o.!

If you plan to be 50 anyway, you might as well be 50 and in a position to do the work you love.

One more thing to consider: the return on investment at our age is more important than to the younger students - I want to be able to support myself now and in my later years (I don’t plan to retire!) as well as have some money to spoil my grandchildren. The insurance costs impact ROI significantly. They are low for doctors of chiropractic medicine, which is one of the reasons I selected DC instead of DO or MD.

Keep working toward your dream!!

–Lisa

Wow, you and Presse are definitely my heroes! I have been searching on the Internet and elsewhere for assurance that it is not too late to go to med school. The world is full of naysayers and it’s so easy to let them get to me.

I am so glad I found this forum today!!

I am currently 47 and am planning on applying to med school when I’m 50. I am going to print out your post and look at it whenever I need inspiration. Thanks!