How soon is too soon?

I am planning on taking the MCAT in April '07. When should I start studying for it, and how should I go about setting up a study plan? I already have Gen Bio/Chem finished and am taking Orgo I and Genetics this fall, Orgo II/Cell Bio Spring '07, electives Summer '07, Physics I/Biochem Fall '06, Physics II/elective Spring '07. (I already have a B.S. and M.S. so all of my gen ed and math are complete)
I’m sorry if this thread is a recent duplicate, but I want to MAKE SURE that I am as prepared as can be!
Thanks for any help you can send my way!
Meg

This question is very common. The best answer I can give is that it varies from person to person.
I started studying in October for the April test. But because of school, work, and family obligations I was not prepared and postponed until this august. You may find that you will be able to handle your school work and MCAT studying as well as any other obligation you may have. You may feel that this would be too much for you to handle.
In any event, before you start studying, ask yourself this: "will I be able to devote sufficient time to everything and still have good grades and maintain my sanity?"
If you have not done so, go to the AAMC website and take a look at the MCAT and see what it is all about. You would not buy a car or a house without doing the research, why take the test this way.
But since you are 2 years away from taking the test I would say that you have plenty of time. Concentrate on your classes and do well in them. The MCAT will be no good to you if you do poorly.
Understand the test, take a mock MCAT from Kaplan or TPR, but with 2 years before your planned attempt, you have time to decide.

Quote:

I am planning on taking the MCAT in April '07. When should I start studying for it, and how should I go about setting up a study plan? I already have Gen Bio/Chem finished and am taking Orgo I and Genetics this fall, Orgo II/Cell Bio Spring '07, electives Summer '07, Physics I/Biochem Fall '06, Physics II/elective Spring '07. (I already have a B.S. and M.S. so all of my gen ed and math are complete)
I’m sorry if this thread is a recent duplicate, but I want to MAKE SURE that I am as prepared as can be!
Thanks for any help you can send my way!
Meg

Hey Meg. Here are links to two of the many forum discussions which cover MCAT preparation. These cover the “how to” as well as when to begin preparation.
http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showpost.php?post//
http://www.oldpremeds.org/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/27021/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all
Have fun!
Larry