How suddenly things can change

I got accepted to Oklahoma State COM in November after interviewing on their second date. The phone rang just five days after my interview, and the pressure was off - or so I thought.

In January I interviewed at the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine and was placed on their wait list. I all but wrote them off. Then two weeks after spring finals, I got an acceptance letter from OU. Again, having given lots of serious consideration to both schools, I nearly threw it out without much further thought. But, my own committment kept taunting me. I had said that if I were accepted to both schools I would have to make a very difficult decision. So, I started over talking with my trusted advisors again - family, faculty, physicians of various backgrounds.

Ultimately, it came down to this. It’s a wonderful dilemma to have to choose between medical schools. Both are very good institutions, and I have made pages of lists regarding the benefits and drawbacks to each choice. But, by staying at OU I will be going to class in Oklahoma City, just 30 minutes from my house. That means coming home to my wife and son every night instead of just on weekends.

So, this week I have been getting everything in order. And, now both schools have been notified of my decision. The guilt I felt for pulling out at State this late in the game is gradually being replaced by the pleasant thought of some other worthy man or woman getting a letter after languishing on their wait list.

Once again, I feel relieved. Any question that lingered in my mind about whether it was the right decision was put firmly to rest by my lovely and perpetually supportive spouse when she burst into tears at the news.

• ViceroyPlain05 Said:
I got accepted to Oklahoma State COM in November after interviewing on their second date. The phone rang just five days after my interview, and the pressure was off - or so I thought.

In January I interviewed at the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine and was placed on their wait list. I all but wrote them off. Then two weeks after spring finals, I got an acceptance letter from OU. Again, having given lots of serious consideration to both schools, I nearly threw it out without much further thought. But, my own committment kept taunting me. I had said that if I were accepted to both schools I would have to make a very difficult decision. So, I started over talking with my trusted advisors again - family, faculty, physicians of various backgrounds.

Ultimately, it came down to this. It's a wonderful dilemma to have to choose between medical schools. Both are very good institutions, and I have made pages of lists regarding the benefits and drawbacks to each choice. But, by staying at OU I will be going to class in Oklahoma City, just 30 minutes from my house. That means coming home to my wife and son every night instead of just on weekends.

So, this week I have been getting everything in order. And, now both schools have been notified of my decision. The guilt I felt for pulling out at State this late in the game is gradually being replaced by the pleasant thought of some other worthy man or woman getting a letter after languishing on their wait list.

Once again, I feel relieved. Any question that lingered in my mind about whether it was the right decision was put firmly to rest by my lovely and perpetually supportive spouse when she burst into tears at the news.

First, a hearty congratulations...that is great!!!!

Second, no guilt...it is not like you took a spot in two classes, you earned both of those spots...but unless you suddenly become 2 people, you can only go to the one...and believe me...somewhere out there you did make someone happy.

Congrats! Believe me, the ability to come home to and interact with your support network will pay you back in spades! From what you have said, it sounds like you made the wise choice.

Thanks. I haven’t come across anyone, including OSU alums, who has thought I didn’t make the right call. I appreciate the confidence, and I am looking forward to tagging up with my most valued cheerleaders daily.

Believe me, someone on the waitlist is very happy today because of your decision.

Congratulations!

No guilt. Admissions folks have very short memories. They’ll be thrilled to make another offer. And someone will be ecstatic to get “that phone call.”

Cheers,

Judy