How to ask for recommendation letters to Profs?

Great, I need just some more quick advice guys…

My Chemistry professor, who is wonderful and knows me quite well by now, is leaving for a research position on Wednesday, right after our final tomorrow (Tuesday.) I was going to ask her for a recommendation letter tomorrow and try to provide her the necessary forms, self-stamped envelope, etc.

However I realize that she won’t have time at all as she has to pack and go up to Northern Michigan the next day for the rest of the summer to do this environmental reserarch.

I really want a good strong recommendation letter which I hope she can provide, but don’t just want to force her into writing something quick and simple because she is in a hurry between grading our finals and getting going for her research position.

Is it a better idea for me to ask her after she returns at the end of the summer, and right when the fall semester starts, to ask for a recommendation letter?? What would you guys suggest?? I am sure she will still remember me and how well I did in her class (I was also going to her a nice little thank you greeting card tomorrow in the last day of class…)

Just looking for some advice. Thanks!!

“When you get back, I’d like the chance to talk to you about a recommendation letter. As you know, I’ll be applying to med school next year and I hope you’d be able to provide me with a strong letter.”

Mary

I’d definitely go with Mary’s suggestion!

Mary has the right idea, definitely. You want your prof not only to have time, but also to be able to think clearly so as to give you a great rec. Plus, technically recommendations are a favor to you, so you want to be very respectful of the prof’s time/workload. Don’t worry, profs do NOT forget their good students! :slight_smile:

Thanks Mary!! I tried your suggestion and sent her an email last night thanking her and mentioning that I’d like to talk to her about a recommendation letter when she returns at the end of the summer. Sadly, the response was as I predicted, none…

Well, I will try and contacting her again at the end of the summer and hopefully she still remembers me and is willing to write me a recommendation letter.

• skysurf Said:
Thanks Mary!! I tried your suggestion and sent her an email last night thanking her and mentioning that I'd like to talk to her about a recommendation letter when she returns at the end of the summer. Sadly, the response was as I predicted, none.....

Well, I will try and contacting her again at the end of the summer and hopefully she still remembers me and is willing to write me a recommendation letter.

I know that it is frustrating in the age of instant messages and responses, but chances are she is probably wrapping up whatever she had to get done for school (submitting grades, etc), packing and getting ready to leave for a few months. If you've ever taken an extended vacation or time away, I'm sure you realize there is a bunch of things that need to be done. Once she gets situated, I'm sure that she will contact you.

Besides, it isn't like she is leaving the school for good, she is only leaving for the summer. Don't get so anxious about it.
  • skysurf Said:
Thanks Mary!! I tried your suggestion and sent her an email last night thanking her and mentioning that I'd like to talk to her about a recommendation letter when she returns at the end of the summer. Sadly, the response was as I predicted, none.....

As Kriss said, she had a lot of other things to do. This is your #1 issue but not hers. You planted the seed and thus your follow-up after she returns won't be out of the clear blue. Don't jump on her the minute she returns. (don't be a stalker LOL)

Mary

Thanks guys!!! You were right and I got an email from her saying that she would be glad to write me a recommendation letter!!! You were right about getting anxious. Guess I have to just learn to take it one step at a time better. Thanks again for your help! This site is great!

Told ya!