How to get rid of a BB?

I’m not going to go into the reasons of why there’s a BB in my hand since it’s not really going to affect how to get it out anyway but basically, there’s a BB in my left hand that is quite close to the surface. It’s been in there for a couple of years and I never really bothered to get it out since surgery is basically too expensive to afford for anything that isn’t life-threatening and it wasn’t doing anything anyway outside being there.

The difference now is that I started working out about two weeks ago, and I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it, but now I’m suspicious that it’s starting to interfere very slowly with the circulation to my hand since I get tingling in it sometimes when I stretch my arms. So suffice it to say, I want it out a whole lot more now. I was going to just have a friend of mine who’s in paramedic school get it out since it’s so close to the surface that it’s literally right under the subcutaneous layer (you can feel a bump directly over where it is) so pretty much all that needs to be done is a very small incision and then pluck it out with some tweezers. Problem is, my medic friend doesn’t have exactly a light schedule since he works as an EMT while going to medic school as well.

So my question is how much do you guys think it would cost to get a doctor or surgeon to get this stupid thing out? Insurance isn’t an issue since I don’t have any to begin with since it’s too expensive for college students to afford so any ballpark figure would have to be for an uninsured patient, thanks.

I have absolutely NO idea what it would cost to have a “real doctor” take it out but I gotta tell ya that you should not let just anyone go poking around in your hand. There are way too many delicate structures - esp. nerves and tendons - and an infection in that area is potentially catastrophic, plus you run the very real risk of nerve damage. You need a hand surgeon. Please, please, please don’t try what you are proposing! Change your workout routine for awhile to see if it feels better, or figure out whether it’s going to be a pre-existing condition before you decide to buy some insurance, but for God’s sake do not muck around with your hand.

Sorry for the bummer advice… I am not a “gloom and doom doctor” type but this is an alarming plan!

Mary

• Mary Renard Said:
I have absolutely NO idea what it would cost to have a "real doctor" take it out but I gotta tell ya that you should not let just anyone go poking around in your hand. There are way too many delicate structures - esp. nerves and tendons - and an infection in that area is potentially catastrophic, plus you run the very real risk of nerve damage. You need a hand surgeon. Please, please, please don't try what you are proposing! Change your workout routine for awhile to see if it feels better, or figure out whether it's going to be a pre-existing condition before you decide to buy some insurance, but for God's sake do not muck around with your hand.

Sorry for the bummer advice... I am not a "gloom and doom doctor" type but this is an alarming plan!

Mary

Well, I started to lose circulation to my ring & small finger tonight so I said screw it and went to the ER anyway. Kind of wish I didn't since they refused to even refer me to a surgeon and gave me the run around of having to go to my family doctor just to get a referral to a surgeon from him instead but oh well, I'm too pissed off after that incident to care. If I don't lose circulation to my hand completely and lose the damn thing (not going back if it gets even worse since obviously they're not going to do anything anyhow) then I'll go to my family doctor tomorrow and get a referral to a hand surgeon.

My friend misunderstood what I said though, he thought the BB was sticking out of the skin and wasn't deep at all. Moment I told him that it was healed over and under the skin he...well, he used a word I won't repeat to emphasize that he's not touching it under any circumstance. Thanks for the input.

A very wise decision by your friend! Were this to be a much more innocuous area or a more “fresh” wound - sure dig it out. However, even though it may ‘feel’ near the surface, the fact that you are manifesting potentially overt signs of neurovascular compromise should tell you that seeing not just a real doctor, but one imminently qualified in dealing with hand issues is warranted - and soon.

• OldManDave Said:
A very wise decision by your friend! Were this to be a much more innocuous area or a more "fresh" wound - sure dig it out. However, even though it may 'feel' near the surface, the fact that you are manifesting potentially overt signs of neurovascular compromise should tell you that seeing not just a real doctor, but one imminently qualified in dealing with hand issues is warranted - and soon.

Well, I think that's what he thought was that it was a recent incident and that the BB was sticking out of the skin...and if that were the case, I would just pluck it out myself, wouldn't need his help for that.

Anywho, went to see my family doc last Friday and he agreed that it needs to come out so he referred me to a hand surgeon. The orthopedic group that the surgeon's in never called me to set up an appointment though so I guess I need to call them tomorrow. I'm tempted to ask if they can videotape the operation just so I can finally watch at least one surgery...seeing as all the doctors in my small town seem to hate pre-meds.

Hell…come out to Maryland and I’ll take care of it for ya! I got a machete around back…

• croooz Said:
Hell...come out to Maryland and I'll take care of it for ya! I got a machete around back....

Man I'm never going near you while you're holding a sharp object.

I went for my pre-op consultation today though at the outpatient surgery place here. Was actually a funny exchange, when the PA/NP (yeah I dunno why you'd be both) found out I was pre-med he joked "Sure I can't talk you out of it?". He was just kidding but I'm sure that won't be the last time I hear that. The cool part though is that while they said they don't really have the ability to videotape the surgery (since it's impossible to shadow anyone around here, I figured I'd ask and see if they can do that so there's /one/ surgery I can watch) but if I bring in a camera they'd be happy to take some pictures.

So hopefully soon I'll get this stupid thing out.

Having both certifications (PA/NP) you are able to work in more places. There are some places that prefer one over the other. If you have both then you aren’t restricted.

I’m telling you I would be a cheaper alternative. I could take the BB out with 1 swipe and you’d never have to worry about numbness to your hand again.

• croooz Said:
Having both certifications (PA/NP) you are able to work in more places. There are some places that prefer one over the other. If you have both then you aren't restricted.

I'm telling you I would be a cheaper alternative. I could take the BB out with 1 swipe and you'd never have to worry about numbness to your hand again.

*just...shakes his head* But...but I'd never be able to play the piano again. I think I'll take the office procedure over the machete though...your offer /is/ quite tempting but somehow I think I'm going to have to go with my gut instinct on this one.

Makes sense about the PA/NP thing though.

some people…ya just have to waste money…

There are dual PA/NP programs. I think it’s great but it’s mostly for nurses. You need x amount of hours as a nurse to qualify for the NP portion.

So very glad that DO’s are accepted as the equivalent because I’d hate to go thru DO school and MD school.

• Tim Said:
*just...shakes his head* But...but I'd never be able to play the piano again. I think I'll take the office procedure over the machete though...your offer /is/ quite tempting but somehow I think I'm going to have to go with my gut instinct on this one.

I have this really powerful magnet at home. Come over and we'll just hold it near your hand and the BB will pop right out with minimal discomfort.

I think the thing to do is to become a PA/NP/MD/DO/PhD and end all these arguments about which is better. Then get a JD just to round out your education.

By the way, be sure to ask the surgeon if you'll be able to play the violin after the operation!
  • ttraub Said:
  • Tim Said:

I have this really powerful magnet at home. Come over and we'll just hold it near your hand and the BB will pop right out with minimal discomfort.

I think the thing to do is to become a PA/NP/MD/DO/PhD and end all these arguments about which is better. Then get a JD just to round out your education.

By the way, be sure to ask the surgeon if you'll be able to play the violin after the operation!

Actually I joked with my friend the other day about getting a JD as well as the MD, just so when some idiot sues me hoping to get rich, I can sue him/her back and put /them/ in the poor house.

• Tim Said:
Actually I joked with my friend the other day about getting a JD as well as the MD, just so when some idiot sues me hoping to get rich, I can sue him/her back and put /them/ in the poor house.

Heh. That actually is my plan.... No lawyer's gonna shake down my clinic without picking a big fight.

Well, I promised pictures and I deliver. Go to http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID= 106168041

to look at them, I uploaded them to my myspace page since photobucket is down right now. Enjoy!