How to Proceed?

Hi everyone,

Really great site, and I’ve enjoyed perusing the very thoughtful posts and responses.

Like many of you, I’d like to enter med school, but am unsure of where to begin. I’d very much appreciate any advice.

I graduated ten years ago with a BA in English. My GPA was 2.9. I had only two science or math courses, and before that, I had little math in high school.

I joined the military shortly after, and served four years as a medic. Part of my training included paramedic certification, accredited by a university, in which I was the honor graduate, as well as extensive field experience, both abroad and in the US, in combat, at hospitals, and on ambulances. I found great fulfillment in helping others.

After the military, I went to a graduate school for film, received my MFA, and am currently working as a writer.

But, I continue to feel the pull back to medicine and my desire to help others.

My questions and concerns: I’m 33 now. My undergraduate GPA of 2.9 is poor (although, my paramedic course grades were high and I found that I excelled in all the coursework and training). I have never been particularly strong at math, physics, or chemistry. That being said, I think that had in large part to do with study habits while I was younger, and I believe I could be strong in those areas with some work – but, I would be starting from nearly scratch.

From what I’ve read here, a postbacc seems like a good option. But, I feel like I would need some preparatory courses even to be ready for it, and wonder if even then whether I would have a shot at being accepted.

With all of this in mind, any advice on how to proceed, if at all?

Perhaps study up on algebra, pre-calc, calc? Or physics? Maybe try a course or two at a local college to see if it might be pursuing more seriously?

Thank you so much for your help.

One of the non-trads in my first year class was a military medic as well.

I’d say that starting with algebra and trigonometry would be good. You can take non-calc physics, but you have to be strong in alg and trig so that is probably a good place to start.

General chemistry also relies on algebra skills, so that is a good place to start.

Kate

• db2103 Said:
Hi everyone,

I graduated ten years ago with a BA in English. My GPA was 2.9. I had only two science or math courses, and before that, I had little math in high school.

My questions and concerns: I'm 33 now. My undergraduate GPA of 2.9 is poor (although, my paramedic course grades were high and I found that I excelled in all the coursework and training). I have never been particularly strong at math, physics, or chemistry. That being said, I think that had in large part to do with study habits while I was younger, and I believe I could be strong in those areas with some work -- but, I would be starting from nearly scratch.

From what I've read here, a postbacc seems like a good option. But, I feel like I would need some preparatory courses even to be ready for it, and wonder if even then whether I would have a shot at being accepted.

With all of this in mind, any advice on how to proceed, if at all?

Perhaps study up on algebra, pre-calc, calc? Or physics? Maybe try a course or two at a local college to see if it might be pursuing more seriously?

Thank you so much for your help.

You and I have the similar background: graduated 10 years ago next year, same major, same GPA...it can be done! My advice to you would be the following:

1) As you are waiting to find out about the post-bacc program, take an Intro to General Chemistry course and an Algebra class. This will help you become acclimated to the coursework once more. This will also be a great foundation for your coursework in the fall.

2) Since you have a non-competitive GPA, it could be difficult (not impossible, depending on the program) for you to gain admission to a post-bacc. If so, you might also want to have a plan B. That is, take the lower division courses at a CC and then transfer to a 4 year university.

Lower Division: General Chemistry with lab

General Biology with lab

Upper Division: Organic Chemistry with lab

General Physics with lab

Other courses to consider (in addition to the required upper division course listed above): Biochemistry, Genetics, Cell Biology

Finally, this journey is one that you should ease yourself into. Ask questions as they come up, but be careful not to overwhelm yourself. The OPM community is here to help!

Excellent. Thank you, guys, for your advice.

And, especially, TJJ, your tip to ease into it. I think most of us are used to going from 0-60, so that’s a good one to remember. Trying to take it one step at a time, building each block as I go.

Thanks again.