I am lost.. Any help?

I do not understand the AMCAS procedure. Do you apply for that before you take the MCAt? I am finishing a degree in biology, it covers all the pre-reqs. I will be done with that next fall. So what year will I be applying for? When do I sign up for AMCAS? I just need a general broken down timeline as to what the heck I am doing because I am lost. I also would like some help understanding the AMCAS thing. I read about it, but I just don’t know when I need to start that. Please help… I am lost. Thank you

No, you can take care of the MCAT, and actually should take care of that before applying via AMCAS if possible.

Most people wait until after they have finished their prereqs, and have no more than one more year of schooling (ie. your senior year of college), before applying for admission. I’m not sure when you’ll actually be finished with your prereqs, but it is usually best that you are done no later than the spring before you apply for admission.

There is a book that you might want to consider ordering…MSAR. I don’t have the full title, but I’m sure one of my esteemed colleagues on here probably has it. It’ll give you the blueprint that you can follow!

You apply when you are ready and have all of your ducks in order.

If you are not done with your pre-reqs then you are not ready. Adcoms will not look at your application until all parts of it are complete. If you have not taken the MCAT yet, then you are not ready. You do not know how well you will perform and you can be out a nice chunk of change if the score does not come out the way you predicted.

Your MCAT is good for 3 years. As a result, when you are done with you pre-reqs and then take your MCAT, which should be in the fall of 2009 or winter of 2010, then you would be ready to apply in 2010 for the 2011 entering class hence class of 2015.

“There is a book that you might want to consider ordering…MSAR.” …

I think you are referring to the book entitled "Med School Confidential" by Robert Miller. It tells you all about the process of applying to med school including everything you need to know about AMCAS. I ordered mine online from Amazon.com...

MSAR = "Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) 2010-2011

This must-have book – often called the “bible of medical school guides” – is the #1 source for medical school applicants. The 2010-2011 edition features more information than ever before.

That was cut directly from the AAMC Publications Shop.

It provides you with alot of information about applying to allopathic medical schools as well as details about each individual school

Hope that helps.

Lynda

• tw4sw Said:
"There is a book that you might want to consider ordering...MSAR." ....

I think you are referring to the book entitled "Med School Confidential" by Robert Miller. It tells you all about the process of applying to med school including everything you need to know about AMCAS. I ordered mine online from Amazon.com...

Nope, I think LSimpson right above has the right title. But I do have this particular book which also has been quite helpful.

MSAR is not Medical School Confidential (a book I’m not familiar with, but my knowledge is out of date). MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements) is an official publication of the AAMC (American Association of Medical Colleges). It is REALLY helpful for laying out the process of applying.

To the OP: it’s really important to take the time to learn this process and become familiar with its ins and outs. It seems initially complicated but it actually makes sense once you learn the steps.

MCAT is the test taken by all med school applicants, whether you’re applying to DO or MD schools. Taking the MCAT is separate from applying. You can take the MCAT months before you apply, or shortly after you apply. (Your application isn’t complete until you’ve taken the MCAT, though.)

Applying requires the use of an application service: AMCAS for MD schools, AACOMAS for DO schools, and TMDSAS for Texas schools.

There is lots more to it, I will let those who’ve done it more recently fill in more details though.

Mary

• Mary Renard Said:
MSAR is not Medical School Confidential (a book I'm not familiar with, but my knowledge is out of date). MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements) is an official publication of the AAMC (American Association of Medical Colleges). It is REALLY helpful for laying out the process of applying.

To the OP: it's really important to take the time to learn this process and become familiar with its ins and outs. It seems initially complicated but it actually makes sense once you learn the steps.

MCAT is the test taken by all med school applicants, whether you're applying to DO or MD schools. Taking the MCAT is separate from applying. You can take the MCAT months before you apply, or shortly after you apply. (Your application isn't complete until you've taken the MCAT, though.)

Applying requires the use of an application service: AMCAS for MD schools, AACOMAS for DO schools, and TMDSAS for Texas schools.

There is lots more to it, I will let those who've done it more recently fill in more details though.

Mary

Thanks, Mary. Actually I knew that they were two different guides, but I realize I might have written as if they were the same. My apologies if I confused anyone.

stacydr,

Here’s a real boiled down outline:

http://www.princetonreview.com/medical/admissions-…

• ihopetobeado2 Said:
stacydr,

Here's a real boiled down outline:

http://www.princetonreview.com/medical/admissions-...

Thank you, this was very helpful!

AACOM has a similar book (to the MSAR) for DO schools:

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/c ib/Pages…

Cheers,

Judy