I get to keep my schedule this semester

I think I explained that our daycare provider decided against closing her doors. However the day after that I received a phonecall in regards to one of the many ads I placed as well. I was fine sending the kids back to this center, however, I felt I should at least give the applicant an interview and so we did.

She would be willing to come into our home for what I can afford to pay her. She is about 10 years older than me with a grown son and recently moved to the area with her new husband, who’s job is one that does not necessitate her to work.

She literally looked at this as an opportunity to get to know people and offered me her references.

My husband and I talked it over. The kids really like her (my daughter was having issues going to the daycare because her and the provider’s daughter do not get along) and I opted on checking references as well as informed her I’d be performing a background check and requesting she pay for it up front with me reimbursing her when they come back clear (since she said her records were clear).

Official background checks will take a few weeks, but I have a friend who works for our att. gen. and she gave me what they use to find information on people with regards to any court cases that have come up in our state. Those checked out fine and so we asked her a few more questions and asked if she was still interested.

She said yes.

This may end up being perfect for us. Someone in the home will keep the baby from coming in contact with excess germs. I was pretty concerned with how sick they were last year and am hopeful this will be better for them. Not only that, she is willing to watch them even if they are ill if I have something important going on at school. Before, a simple fever with no other symptoms had us having to come pick him up. That could be anything from teething to a simple cold or too many blankets at nap time, so this will be work out much better.

How’s that for waiting until the last minute to figure things out? I’m always nervous with new care providers, and yet I really have a good feeling about this woman, which says a lot for me.

So, all that to say, I’ve contacted my advisor and let him know that I will not be freeing up space in his class after all for his waitlisted students and that he will see me Tuesday morning (day one of class).

Oh! She’s also willing to stay a bit for me to get some studying done after class. Now, that’s a god send, or something.

My Lutheran friend swears it’s because she’s been praying to St. Jude. Perhaps I’ll make a shrine or something.

I’m glad things worked out for you! Good luck in the coming semester.

I am so excited for you! It sounds like this may be the answer you’ve been hoping for. Its amazing how things just seem to work out at the last minute sometimes.

That’s terrific!! Here’s to a great semester. I am so glad everything worked out for you… and it sounds like you will be in an even better situation this time.

That is fantastic news! I know how scary it is to try and find someone new to entrust your children too.

Our sitter just went back to school full time about four weeks ago, and she has been with us for 5 years! I didn’t have any classes this summer, so I dragged the kids to work with me.

And lucky for me we all start school on the same day, next monday! So I didn’t have to find someone new, thank goodness!

Good luck this semester! Glad everything worked out so well.

I’m so glad it worked out for you. What great news! Sounds like this situation is going to be pretty close to ideal. Good luck in the new semester!

Oh man what great news! I know how hard it can be to try to do school with kids too. Thankfully my mother in law will watch my two while I attend classes at night during the week. Good for you!

Never mind. She quit yesterday (something about a fam emergency and leaving town says the message from the spouse). Daycare center option filled again since we said we weren’t using her after all. Classes start Tuesday, and I’m out of options this semester.

I’ll see you guys next semester I supposed. Best of luck everyone on fall term. I’ll be with you all in spirit.

Susan, I remain convinced that there is a reason this is all happening. I don’t know what, exactly, and I am sure you are too exasperated to be philosophical about it. But maybe we’re going to have a horrible upswing in swine flu this fall and you’ll be glad to be home with your babies! It’ll all turn out okay, I’m sure of that.

Mary

Mary, I am exasperated but also finding resignation. I know I’ve turned over every possible stone and it simply did not work out. I have 16 weeks to find a solution for next semester. That is what I will focus on.

Hang in there, I know you must be discouraged. I too feel there is a reason for things… most times we don’t see it until much later. Enjoy your little ones!