I need advise

I was accepted into a 6yr medical school program. I would do my pre-medical studies for 2yrs and then do my MD program. I delayed my entrance until I graduated since I graduate next May. The medical school is willing to allow me to graduate and start next fall.
Here’s my delima, I have not done my pre-med studies. So I called the school and told them that and they said I could still attend without my pre-med studies. What do you recommend I do? Should I do my pre-med studies post-bac or just go to medical school without my pre-med? I understand that California will not allow someone to be licensed without pre-med studies. Not that I won’t to be licensed in California, but there could be other states who will follow the same requirements as California. I need your advice.
Thanks,

I am not sure I understand that you are allowed to start medical school without the pre-med studies. Are we talking about organic chemistry, physics and the like?
If you have not taken these courses, you may find it difficult when the discussion comes to phrmacology and biochemistry. I would get something in writing from the medical school about this so you have it down on paper.
I think you need to be a little more clear so that we can give you the best advice with the most knowledge. Please elaborate.
Gabe

I am also a bit confused with what you are asking. If it is a 6yr program, doesn’t that mean the first 2 years are going to cover the pre-med classes? What classes are you talking about that Cal won’t let you get a license?

I remember you posted regarding this same issue a while back and I am still confused. If you are going into a program that once completed will not be recognized by X or Y state, then you have some problems there. If OTOH you are allowed to practice in X or Y state once you complete this program then I say go for it.

I am not sure how this question differs from the earlier thread you posted on this subject, click here.
If I have understood your description of St. Luke’s correctly, it’s a five- or six-year program where the first one to two years is devoted to pre-med studies. (like the 6-year St. Christopher’s program “whuds” has told us about) As I’ve said before, you can’t do the med school basic sciences without having the prerequisites, but if they’re included in your SLSOM curriculum, why would you need to ALSO take them before you go there? This is really not making sense to me.
You are getting a “warning” of sorts about SLSOM since California does not recognize them. Make VERY sure that is not an issue for other states where you might like to do residency and practice. It would suck to get all the way through medical school only to find out that you can’t get a residency anywhere… and I would not trust any school to provide you with the most accurate information - you are the one who cares the most, so you need to be sure you get information that satisfies you.

To clear up the confusion, I will not be taking pre-meds at SLUSOM. I will go directly into the basic science portion of the program. What I’m needing advise on if this is a vise move or not.
I was accepted in the 6yr program only if I don’t have my BS degree which I would complete over there. Since I decided that I wanted my BS degree from the US, I can’t go into the 6yr program. So, the school advised me to just start without my pre-med requirements. What I’m asking advise on is this vise and should I do it. Or, should I do a Post-bac program before heading off to medical school.
See my reason for sleepless nights and confusion is because I would like to go to get a Master’s of Medical Biology. But the school is very expensive. I’m talking $75,000 by the time I complete the program because you have to have pre-meds done before you marticulate into the program. However, I can still apply and go on limited marticulation agreement until my pre-meds are done and then I would do another year for the Master’s degree. Then I would apply to medical school. However, I owe $50,000 now. By the time I applied to medical school, I would owe over $125,000 which I’m afraid that I would not have enough money to get me through medical school. This is what I need advise on. I don’t know if I should say heck with the pre-med requirement and just go to the medical school I was accepted at.

In that case, I stick with what I said on the earlier thread devoted to this question. I don’t see how you can do medical school basic sciences if you have not done all of the prerequisites, sorry. While it might be possible to get through the classes, you will be lacking an underpinning understanding of these subjects and it will hurt you in the long run.

Have you thought this one through by talking to a pre-med advisor? It sounds like it wouldn’t be a good situation either way you went. Is this your only option?

On one hand I would be very worried about owing so much money even before you started med school. On the other hand, as Mary said, I would worry about not having the basic sciences down before you started.

I know becoming a doctor is your goal and dream, but I would worry about going this route to achieve it. I will admit that I am not familiar with this program or the school except what I have read it your posts and the recent post about the California ruling.

I think you should talk over your options with an experienced pre-med advisor. Are you really sure this is a reputable school you are thinking of attending? Do you know from an independent source whether their students are able to practice medicine in the US or get residency training. I don’t know anything about the school but I had a look at their website and did a search with google and I didn’t have a good feeling from what I read. That’s a completely subjective impression, so I may be wrong.

If you want to do your pre-med courses, why do feel you need to do an expensive masters or post-bac program. Many other people posting here seem to have done this in a less costly way by taking individual courses at less expensive schools. Maybe you could also do this.

In any case, good luck deciding what to do.

So this program is for people who haven’t done their premedical studies - you complete them in the first two years. Others in the school, will be in the same boat as you, right? Then I don’t know that lack of premed studies is that daunting, considering that the program provides for that.
Finally, I think you really need to talk to people in the know about the issue of licensing and employability- a good premed advisor or even someone at the California board of licensing or a director at a residency program you could envision yourself being interested. The best way to find out is to ask them. You’ll find that although people are very busy, they are happy to help others if you are proactive enough and approach them. It’s important that you do your own research, and not rely on a premed advisor or posters on a forum. This is your life…and you need to be responsible for it.
P.S. On a side note, I’ve seen someone with a similar moniker and situation post on another forum, which included another reason for your second-guessing this program is because of your mother not approving or supporting your decision to leave. I’m not sure if it’s one in the same, but if it is, I think you really need to have a heart-to-heart with your mother and then yourself. You really need to question how much that plays a role in this decision. I understand being close to your family, but this will not be the first time that you medical career will conflict with that priority. If your mother is sick and really needs you, that is an entirely different situation, but if it just a matter that she will miss you, I don’t know. Even if you did the post-bacc free of charge in a nearby university, by the fact of sheer number it will be statistically more difficult for you to get into medical school when you are unwilling to travel/relocate - a smaller net. Often times, when it comes to your residency, you cannot simply restrict yourself to a geographic area. You need to be aware of this fact and consider if it’s really worth it for you.

Quote:

So this program is for people who haven’t done their premedical studies - you complete them in the first two years. Others in the school, will be in the same boat as you, right? Then I don’t know that lack of premed studies is that daunting, considering that the program provides for that.
Finally, I think you really need to talk to people in the know about the issue of licensing and employability- a good premed advisor or even someone at the California board of licensing or a director at a residency program you could envision yourself being interested. The best way to find out is to ask them. You’ll find that although people are very busy, they are happy to help others if you are proactive enough and approach them. It’s important that you do your own research, and not rely on a premed advisor or posters on a forum. This is your life…and you need to be responsible for it.
P.S. On a side note, I’ve seen someone with a similar moniker and situation post on another forum, which included another reason for your second-guessing this program is because of your mother not approving or supporting your decision to leave. I’m not sure if it’s one in the same, but if it is, I think you really need to have a heart-to-heart with your mother and then yourself. You really need to question how much that plays a role in this decision. I understand being close to your family, but this will not be the first time that you medical career will conflict with that priority. If your mother is sick and really needs you, that is an entirely different situation, but if it just a matter that she will miss you, I don’t know. Even if you did the post-bacc free of charge in a nearby university, by the fact of sheer number it will be statistically more difficult for you to get into medical school when you are unwilling to travel/relocate - a smaller net. Often times, when it comes to your residency, you cannot simply restrict yourself to a geographic area. You need to be aware of this fact and consider if it’s really worth it for you.

Thank you for your posts. Yes it is me with the mother issues. Today I had a long heart to heart talk with my mother and the president of St. Luke school of medicine. We went over my transcript and the current courses I am taking. He informed me that as far as pre-med in Africa, I have met the requirements for admission. He also has informed me that the Pune, India campus was entirely for those who do not have a BS degree. So, he encourage me to attend one of the campuses in Africa. We came to agreement that Cape Coast, Ghana is a good place to study. I talked this over with my mother and she said she feels more comfortable with me going to Africa than India. Since SLUSOM has a charter in that country, I don’t worry about running into trouble when it comes to licensure.
Since I’ll be in a class with other who did not go the British pre-med route, I feel much better knowing this. Africa and India do not follow the British pre-med route, so most will be right out of high school or have graduate degree’s.
In terms of licensure in the US. The president of the medical school told me that I have to call the states which I’m interested in becoming licensed. This I have already done. I have cleared it with three states which I can become licensed as long as I meet the requirements of state licensure. SLUSOM also has clinicals here in the US in Kentucky and TN so I’m not to worried about this. I’ve spoken to the Clinical Co-ordinator and he told me that I have to be willing to go where they have affiliation in the US or I can find my own clinical location sites. I told him that this is not a problem. I’m not picky where I go for clinicals. As far as residencies are concerned, I’m not worried here. I’m not interested in Surgery or the other competitive residencies. I want to go into Internal medicine and then work for the NHSC. I would like to also travel to 3rd world countries to help out in the medical corps. I feel that doing 2yrs of basic science in Africa and 2yrs in American and 3yrs residencies, then perhaps a fellowship in South Africa, I’ll be well prepared for reaching my dreams in becoming an international health care provider and working for the NHSC.