I'm a little discouraged by this thread on SDN

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=4…

It seems like all the replies on this thread are bashing idealism. I am relying on my “idealism” to get me through the app process for med school.

I found the thread to be depressing. Yes, I realize that practicing medicine doesn’t always paint a rosy picture, but I would get satisfaction in that I still “helped” someone - whether it was answering a question or addressing a concern a patient may have.

The thread has me a little freaked - if I come across as an idealist in my interviews, will I be blackballed by a med school? I mean, why else would anyone apply to med school if there wasn’t a little bit of idealism in that person?

Dear FTGG,

They want idealism… One of the biggest problems with attending medical school as a non-stop-from-elementary- school kind of student is that most expressions of idealism are just that expressions some simply parroted inculcations of driving parents (none “forged in the crucible of life”). After all how many kids would DARE say they were NOT interested in “helping people”? Cynicism among those kids is a HUGE problem in third and fouth years.

OK, so now we have someone older, who likely has some concrete REASONS for the VISION… I would always put your focus on sharing your VISION with admissions or anyone else who wants to listen…

Richard

I think idealism tempered by a sense of the the reality of the profession (long hours, insurance and patient compliance frustrations, etc.) is a wonderful thing and you shouldn’t be ashamed of it. It’s who you are!

My general rule of thumb is that if a thread on SDN makes you doubt who you are, you should ignore it and go on with life, because it’s probably off-base.

• samenewme Said:
I think idealism tempered by a sense of the the reality of the profession (long hours, insurance and patient compliance frustrations, etc.) is a wonderful thing and you shouldn't be ashamed of it. It's who you are!

My general rule of thumb is that if a thread on SDN makes you doubt who you are, you should ignore it and go on with life, because it's probably off-base.

AMEN!

An idealist who's been in the real world is not a problem. A cynic who hasn't been in the real world is a problem. An idealist who is a cynic is.....well.....confused.