I'm getting nervous (applying in a few months)

After a 3.1 in undergrad I moved on to getting a 3.4 post bacc from Northwestern/Harvard. I recently got a very bad grade while studying for the MCAT that brought my post bacc from a 3.55 to a 3.4 and I’m freaking out about it a bit.

I’m taking the MCAT at the end of April. I’ve taken 3 full lengths and my most recent one was a 35 (I’ve done a ridiculous amount of sectional tests, probably 10 in each subject and 25 in verbal…which helped a TON btw). I’m wondering what MCAT I need for both DO and MD schools.

I have top notch letters of recommendation and really good but not mind blowing ECs. I have a great story and am one of the more non-traditional non traditionals. If interviewed I think there is little doubt the adcoms will see I want to work as a physician for the right reasons and that I really want it.

I’m an IL resident and not an URM. With the exception of the poor grade I’ve gotten while studying for the MCAT I’ve worked my @ss off to get the post bacc GPA I have.

That one bad grade has been running loops in my mind the past few weeks. Any information is appreciated.

FWIW, in my experience getting anything above a D+ at Northwestern is tougher than getting an A at community college. I don’t understand why a med school would punish a 3.4 there vs a 4.0 at CC but I am wondering if I should be regretting my decision. Does anyone have any insight on the workings of the MCAT/GPA grid system and how it may affect me?

…SNAP OUT IT!!!

• HeyEveryone Said:
FWIW, in my experience getting anything above a D+ at Northwestern is tougher than getting an A at community college. I don't understand why a med school would punish a 3.4 there vs a 4.0 at CC

Unfortunately the reality for students applying to medical school isn't to understand why certain standards, perceptions, attitudes, etc exist in requirements; it is to fulfill them as best as possible.

• HeyEveryone Said:
but I am wondering if I should be regretting my decision.

Rule 10: Beware of FUD - Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

Regret is an emotional response questioning the confidence in your own decision making process. Since the decision cant be reversed and change the past and thus cannot anything about the future, all you accomplish is FUDing yourself

• HeyEveryone Said:
Does anyone have any insight on the workings of the MCAT/GPA grid system and how it may affect me?

If you were to review your chances with past statistics concerning thousand of students would you change your decision to apply to medical school? If not than it is a waste of time and effort and does nothing to help you gain admission.

Sounds like you just need a peep talk - or a good slap in the face like the video from gonnif.

Rock the MCAT. That’s the door opener.

Be prepared to answer questions about the bad grade during interviews.

You can’t control your grade now - so no use in wasting energy thinking about it (easier said than done, I understand).

Good luck on the MCAT!

I agree with Doc Gray and Gonnif. Do well on the MCAT (a 35 would be a fantastic score!). Be prepared to explain that poor grade in your application and interviews. And don’t let FUD get you down! That can really make you tank … and that’s the last thing you want. We’re in the home stretch here (I’m also applying in June); let’s finish it out right!

• Lorien

P.S. I’m also in IL, in the Chicago area. Whereabouts are you, if you don’t mind me asking? Always looking to make connections with local OPMers.

Best wishes to you!