I'm new and learning alot from this website

Hi,
I’m 34 y.o., stay-at-home mom of 2. I have a BA in English and spent 10 years in an unfulfilling admin/management job in the Navy before I decided to stay at home with my kids. I’ve always been interested in health issues and always been amazed by the functioning and healing capacities of the human body (my husband might call it more of an obsession than amazement), but not until recently did I realize I should pursue a career in medicine. I actually thought about it about 8 yrs ago but thought it would take too long to do . . . But now I’m planning to go the DO route, and I’m really excited that I’m not the only “older premed” out there! I’ve made the mistake of telling a couple of friends, and they have been less than encouraging, trying to steer me in other, shorter, directions. Anyway, I’m glad to be a part of this website!
I’m planning to take Intro to Chem next semester since I haven’t had Chem since high school, and I don’t remember anything about it. Originally, I was planning to hurry up and finish my prereqs as fast as I could because I didn’t want to start med school too “late” (i.e. in my 40’s). But in these forums, it looks like it’s better to take the classes at a comfortable pace (i.e. don’t rush) to ensure that I make good grades. How long is too long to complete prereqs? Thanks!!

Hi,
Just wanted to say Welcome! I’m also currently a stay-at-home mom of two. I haven’t finished my BA so I’m currently working on that. I haven’t taken chem in ages either!
I will also be “older” when I start med school. I’m currently 30 and b/c I can’t afford to go to school full time I figure it could take as long as four years to finish. But that’s okay - all in good time, right?
Welcome Aboard!
-Christy

Hello! Welcome to OPM! There’s no set timetable for finishing your prereqs–basically you’ll need to take Biology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physics. All of those classes will have a corresponding lab sections. Some medical schools also require 1 year of college-level math (some specify Calculus; some don’t) and 1 year of English. Other schools require or recommend additional science classes such as anatomy, biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, etc. But usually Bio, Chem, O-Chem, and Physics are the industry standards. Check with the schools you are interested in to see their requirements. (After all that, you need to take the MCAT too).
For myself, I am starting slow also esp. since I have a liberal arts background. I’m currently taking intro-level math classes to prep for the science classes that I’ll take next year. I’m currently in PreCalculus I at my local community college. I plan to quit my job and go to school full time next year (pending financial aid).
Love,
Stacy

Quote:

Originally, I was planning to hurry up and finish my prereqs as fast as I could because I didn’t want to start med school too “late” (i.e. in my 40’s). But in these forums, it looks like it’s better to take the classes at a comfortable pace (i.e. don’t rush) to ensure that I make good grades. How long is too long to complete prereqs? Thanks!!

I’m starting on my premeds at 44 and won’t be graduating med school until I am 50. In addition to spending enough time to get good grades, volunteering, preparing for MCATS, and actually living life, I’m not rushing,

Hi there,
I graduated from medical school and turned 50 three weeks after graduation so don’t let age deter you from pursuing your goal. You are wise to take your time and get the best grades possible. The pursuit of medicine is a long term goal that takes solid preparation. The number of non-traditional medical students is rising very rapidly so you need not worry about standing out in the crowd. Most, if not all medical schools, have older students in their 30s and 40s. There are some, like Howard that have educated students in their 50s. Take your time; do well; do well on the MCAT and apply when you are ready. Even on a fast track, you can expect to take 2 years to complete the pre-med classes and take the MCAT. It also takes a year for the application process.
Take a baby step toward your goal each day and log them. Even in a week, you will have made some progress!
Natalie

Thanks for everyone’s responses. I’m still kind of nervous, and excited, about starting this whole process. Nervous about figuring out how I’m going to successfully juggle family, volunteering, and school, nervous about how long it’s going to take . . . but excited because I’ll be learning about the human body and I’ll be able to use that knowledge to help people live healthier lives.
I want to get good grades, so I realize I shouldn’t rush for the sake of trying to get into med school before a certain age. I truly am grateful to know that there are other “oldpremeds” out there like me.
Vanessa

Goodness, don’t lesson to them and take another route. If being a doctor is in your blood, nothing else will do.
I am 46 and back ontrack to getting into med school I thought I could take a shorter route and become a nurse-midwife. Although I love midwifery, I can’t get wanting to become a doctor out of my mind. If I had stayed on course with med school plans, I would be finishing a residency program about now.

Goataso,
Welcome to Old Pre Meds! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. This is a very supportive group of people. They have helped me in many ways! Good Luck.
Kathy
41, applying for 2004 class