In the home stretch and need some advice

Hi All!

I’m struggling with a couple of decisions and could use some words of wisdom from those of you that are either going through it right now, or have BTDT.

This next academic year will be my third post-bacc premed year. I’m finishing the o-chem series right now (1 more quarter to go) and am planning on taking the physics series next year. Out of the 3 courses that make up the gen bio sequence I ended up having to drop one when morning sickness got the best of me last year. I obviously need to make that up now. What I have tentatively scheduled for next year is:

Fall Qtr: biochem, pre-calc II (pre-req for physics 202), and physics 201.

Winter Qtr: Bio 202 (the one I dropped), calculus for LS/Medicine, physics 202

Spring Qtr: Physics 203, an upper div bio, possibly calc for LS/Med II, and the MCAT

I should add that as part of my “academic recovery program” I am doubling up with a JC I used to attend and am re-taking some classes online. I had 5 classes that I didn’t drop properly that are haunting my transcript as F’s. In the quarter I’m in now I’m taking o-chem II, a graduate level bioarchaeology class, and online CS and english 102. For spring I’ll continue those online CS & english courses while taking pre-calc I and o-chem III (total of 18 units I’m carrying next quarter. I seem to be holding up ok so far with the heavy load I’m taking, but I’ve got some concerns). Staying on track would mean taking 21 units in the fall.

What it boils down to is this: I’m starting to wonder if I’m trying to take on too much at once, and whether I’d be better served by pushing things out for one more year and sitting for the MCAT in spring of 2012 (instead of 2011). I’ll post my specific MCAT questions in that forum since this is getting long.

I’d really like to take some more upper div bio. I’m not strong in chem at all…but ace bio classes…so I was hoping taking more bio would help my GPA out. I’d wanted to take genetics, physiology and possibly a stats for bio class but won’t have time to do that given my current schedule. Are they worth taking?

Also:

Math: I’ve got 2 stats for business classes with A’s from University of Phoenix (which my current university won’t even accept). Do you recommend taking regular/lower div stats, calculus for med, or upper div stats for bio just in case my math is laughed at by adcoms?

Biochem: I know a lot of schools are strongly recommending it, but not necessarily requiring it. Chem is not my strength, as I’ve mentioned. It’s it worth doing anyway? Or better to just skip it?

Two caveats I should mention: I won’t have enough loan money left to completely pay for next year, and will end up partially paying out of pocket. Beyond next year it’s all on me. Being in a CA state U, costs are climbing up like crazy and I’m not independently wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. Also, I’ve cut out EC’s in favor of concentrating on my GPA since it’s marginal (my estimate is that I’ll have about a 3.3 cum for AACOMAS). Adding some additional time before I apply would allow me to slow down some and do more EC’s. As it stands though, I do have patient care experience as a clinician, along with years and years of volunteer/community service work.

I plan on pursuing a master’s in bio if I don’t get accepted in my first cycle of applying. For that reason taking the genetics, physiology and stats for bio would be needed. I hate putting all of my eggs in one basket, but at what point does trying to cover my a$$ for all possibilities become counter-productive? I’ve worked so hard, and for so long, that this current confusion has me pretty stressed out. I appreciate any words of advice you can spare.

Thank you!

Remember, you do not want to take more classes than you can handle at the expense of your grades and then have all of the hard work be for nothing.

You are on your own time table. Do what you believe to be right for you. If you put things off for a year so be it.

Is your goal to get into medschool or to get into medical school quickly?

Rule 4 and Rule 5 come to play strongly here.

Don’t bite off more than you can chew

Dont risk bad grades by taking too much

Rule 1: Take a Breath

Rule 2: Trust Your Gut

Rule 3: It Depends

Rule 4: Don’t Bite Off More Than You Can Chew

Rule 5: Do Not Risk Bad Grades By Taking Too Much

Rule 6: The MCAT Is Your Friend

Rule 7: Learn To Be a Student

Rule 8: Premature Application

Rule 9: The “6P” Principle

Rule 10: The FUD factor: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt

Wow … you make me feel bad just taking the required eight. I will add my two cents … and you will get plenty opinions on here.

My two cents … Concentrate on the required eight and do your best in those classes all others are secondary!

You need to know your goal and what school are you trying to apply for. Those past “F”'s could hurt you on a MD application but I have been told (Anyone correct me if I am wrong) that a DO school places less emphasis on your past grade if over a certain time (10 years??).

Here is my timeline for example … I am currently taking Bio 1 and Chem. 1, over the summer I plan on taking Bio2, Chem2 … Fall: Physics 1, Organic 1 … Spring: Physics 2, Organic 2. Start Kaplan Prep in Jan/Feb ….Take MCAT in April ….

You need to do the same … Hope that helps and this only my opinion.

Thank you Gabe and Richard. I was hoping to hear from either of you and truly appreciate the input.

I’m on the fence between just sticking to the essentials this year and forgetting about any “extras” (meaning biochem and more upper div bio) then applying as planned, or…a part of me thinks I should add a quarter or two though and do things “right,” adding in those other classes. I’ve got a major case of FUD (as Richard would say). I suppose thinking about things with a clearer head after the current final exams are over would be prudent.

Thomas - Allopathic schools (MD) will average your two grades in a repeated course situation. Osteopathic schools (DO) will take the higher grade.

• nnylacire Said:
Thomas - Allopathic schools (MD) will average your two grades in a repeated course situation. Osteopathic schools (DO) will take the higher grade.

Partially true:

the med schools themselves don't average the grades, AMCAS does.

However, on the bottom of the AMCAS application there is a separation of:

Overall GPA

POST BACC GPA

BCPM GPA

So while the grades are averaged in the OVERALL, they are bifurcated in the post bacc and bcpm sections.

Don't know anything about DO schools.
  • thomasfx10 Said:
Wow … you make me feel bad just taking the required eight. I will add my two cents … and you will get plenty opinions on here.

My two cents … Concentrate on the required eight and do your best in those classes all others are secondary!

You need to know your goal and what school are you trying to apply for. Those past "F"'s could hurt you on a MD application but I have been told (Anyone correct me if I am wrong) that a DO school places less emphasis on your past grade if over a certain time (10 years??).

Here is my timeline for example … I am currently taking Bio 1 and Chem. 1, over the summer I plan on taking Bio2, Chem2 … Fall: Physics 1, Organic 1 … Spring: Physics 2, Organic 2. Start Kaplan Prep in Jan/Feb ….Take MCAT in April ….

You need to do the same … Hope that helps and this only my opinion.

I agree totally. Stick with the core 8 and do well on the MCAT. Any extra courses you can complete after applying on an "as needed" basis. You are just trying to get to the starting line, so no need to "over train". And your ECs are more important than peripheral prereq classes, so get back to those if you can.

On a sidenote, taking the MCAT in April is really rushing it. Seriously think about giving yourself a month or two of full-time prep and taking June 17. It only puts your app about 2 weeks behind which you can make up with quick secondaries. With a 1 year postbacc, that 2 months of extra full-time prep makes a HUGE difference.

I did post bac and took 1 class beyond required classes because it was fun, an easy 4.0, and I did it over the summer to give myself a break from intense science classes. With that class it brought my total GPA to 3.01 from 2.98. Post bac score 3.6. So for me it made a huge difference (several medical schools told that I needed more than a 3.0). Do a pros and con list for anything you want to do in addition to required.

Some biochem classes are much more biology. Infact university of new england offers a biochem class by video tapes that is very medicine based that was somewhat fun because of my passion in medicine.

becky

Becky,

I’m considering taking the University of New England’s online biochem course. I’ve completed Gen Chem 1 and 2, but haven’t done Organic yet. Would you recommend taking Org 1 and 2 before taking the Biochem course or is the course manageable with a year of Gen Chem?

Thanks

Thank you for all of the input. After weighing things out I’ve decided to go ahead and take the extra year. The majority of the schools I’m interested are ones that recommend the added classes I’m currently missing. Also, I am a mom of five children (two of which are under 3 yrs old) so it’s been tough keeping up the pace I have been. And I do miss my EC’s. It’d be nice to get back to the things that reinforce why it is I’m pursuing this somewhat crazy endeavor.

I found out that Berkeley Review offers a summer MCAT prep course. I’m planning on sitting for the MCAT as planned next year, but will do it in the fall and then sit on my score until the next application cycle. That way I get to study for my MCAT without distraction during the summer, plus finish all of the recommended courses I wanted to do that next academic year.

Considering the financial and emotional toll of the application process, it’s not something I want to do multiple times. I feel more comfortable with taking the time to maximize my app the first time, than I do with dealing with fall out if I’m ill-prepared and can’t make the cut. This whole process feels like such a gamble at times. I should probably just take a deep breath, take a step back, and do all that I can to better my odds.