interested in possibly becoming an ME

Hello, fellow OPM members! I really enjoyed meeting you all at the Denver Conference in June. I don’t think I remember meeting such a nice group of people. I wanted to write sooner but have been drowning in Intro to Chemistry (I started prereqs this summer). As of August 23, 2004, I’ll be taking General Chemistry and A&P I, then hopefully more prerequisite courses. These were the only two science courses that were open at my university, so I signed up for them as soon as I could.
I was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about becoming a medical examiner or if I can investigate the possibility of volunteering or shadowing for an ME. I don’t know if I would be happy handling “live” patients, and I find medical detection fascinating. I feel that such work can provide great comfort for survivors of the deceased. An ME’s work may not bring back your loved ones, but it may provide some sense of closure and knowledge to the family.
Thanks much!
Best,
“Crazyjane”

Hi crazyjane,
FYI, there is a book out there in bookstores called STIFF,
The secret lives of cadavers. It’s been out on the NY Times best sellers list. Just thought you might want to know if you didn’t know already. Maybe in the future we’ll see you on CSI???
Vita

A medical examiner is a physician that trained as a pathologist. There’s a nice website (link) that explains the path. Good luck on the journey…

Try contacting your local ME/Coroner/Morgue. A couple of the kids in my class were telling stories about being volunteers at the County Morgue (which happens to be for a fairly large city). Some of my co-workers (EMT’s) who have delivered bodies to this morgue said the workers encouraged them to apply for jobs there. If you don’t have a large morgue/ME close by, perhaps your local ME would be willing to meet with you to discuss the profession and could give you a hand at spending a day at a larger facility.
Amy
PS - I bought the book ‘STIFF’ about a month ago. Unfortunately, with my classes, I haven’t had time to finish it, but it has been fascinating so far.

crazyjane,
I took a class in forensic biology my last ugrad semester in college last fall. The instructor is the main ME for the North Dallas area and does quite a bit of work over the state. He said that the field is wide open (for someone who is “certified” not just a coroner, which apparently anyone can be. His statement was, as long as it takes to go through medical school, pathology, and getting the ME certification, you won’t have a problem doing it if that is your interest. He spends a lot of time in court testifying in criminal cases, so a thorough knowledge of the law is also important. In the class,we went over the investigative process, different types of wounds, causes of death, etc, etc. He had some awesome slides!! This was at UT Dallas, but if you haven’t already, see if you can find a similar class.
Kathy

Hi there.
A book that I own but have not had time to read, “My Strength Comes From Within,” by Dr. Joye M. Carter. From what I have gathered from perusing the book, it is based on her personal path, lots of personal reflection, to becoming a Chief ME. There do seem to be some useful ideas.
Good luck.
Michelle

Thank you, Michelle, for the tip on what sounds like a very good, insightful book. I’ll have to check it out.
thanks again.
Best,
Jane

Hi there, Kathy–
What a great idea! I never even imagined that such a class would be offered. I know I would be fascinated by forensic biology. As a practicing medical transcriptionist, I try to attend educational sessions as much as I can, and the last couple I’ve attended had an ME from Miami and a CSI speak! Boy, I was lucky that day! It seems to be the craze these days, probably in part due to the CSI shows, which I love. I’ll check with the local schools and universities in my area.
Thanks so much for your wonderful suggestion!
Best,
Jane

Thanks very much, MPP, for your information on the website. I’ll definitely check it out.
Best,
Jane

Hi, Amy–
That sounds like a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing that with me. Actually, I live in a somewhat large metropolitan area in West Florida, so I shouldn’t have any problem contacting the County Morgue or ME. Someone at the school where I’m taking my premed classes told me that he’s gone on “tours” of the morgue and witnessed autopsies. He said that was quite fascinating. I’m getting ready to volunteer at my local hospital soon, and I was thinking that perhaps I can ask someone there as well.
By the way, I love the quote you sent me along with your message. Very, very profound and thought-provoking. I’ll also have to check out the book “Stiff.” I’ve got a month off between summer and fall classes, so this might be a good opportunity to read it.
Thanks very much for your help!
Best,
Jane

Hi there, Vita–
Just call me Grissum. Actually, I wish I looked like Katherine (beauty and brains). Another favorite of mine is “Crossing Jordan.” I’m absolutely hooked on that show.
I’ll have to purchase STIFF. It sounds like a wonderful book. I’ve got a month off in between classes, so I’ll definitely start reading STIFF.
Thanks very much for the tip!
Best,
Jane

crazyjane,
ironically, the prof HATED CSI and Forensic Files (a show I watch a lot) and said they made it look easy and that the ME always found out what (s)he needed, which often doesn’t happen in real life. I still watch it though!
Kathy

Jane -
If you haven’t read it yet, “The Five People You Meet in Heaven” was a pretty decent book. It’s a fairly easy read, too.
Good Luck,
Amy