Interesting medical school

A patient of mine just got accepted to and is leaving to go to the Medical School of International Health in Israel. Does anyone know more or have experience with this school??? I find it intriguing.

It looks like when you graduate, you are a foreign medical graduate. So you will have the same challenges that someone graduating from the carribean will.

In addition to the challenges of being an IMG, there are probably financial considerations too. In particular, will a student of such a medical school be able to receive federal aid. In the case of Caribbean, Australian, French, English, and Israeli schools, I guess the answer is yes. I wonder about schools in other locations across the globe.

The medical school for international health is run by Ben Gurion University of Israel in collaboration with Columbia Medical school. Unlike other off-shore schools, this one is fully accredited and american students are eligible for federally funded student loans. Additionally, its last graduating class had a 100% match rate in residency.

This program has been in existence for many years and was originally run out of Columbia University with the intention of educating foreign students to return to home countries and practice medicine. However, it seemed to mostly attract americian students when it primarily based in New York and in 2008 I believe, Columbia Medical School reduced its role to be a major clinical site and the classes shifted to israel.

As a side note, it the late 1970s and early 80s, New York State Department of Education “approved” programs at some foreign medical including Sackler in Israel, which has a specific NYS program for students. Essentially in terms of licensing and most residency programs treat it as an in-state school.

There are also several other foreign schools with english language programs that have had long-term clerkships approved in New York State. While this status adds to the perceived quality of an off shore program, it should not be taken as accreditation. Each program needs to be examined carefully as there is wide disparity between programs . The below list was last update January, 2012

American University of Antigua, Antigua

American University of the Caribbean, St. Martin, Netherland Antilles

The Autonomous University of Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Mexico

English Language Program, University of Debrecen, Medical and Health Science Center, Medical School, Debrecen, Hungary

English Language Program, Medical University of Lublin, Lublin, Poland

English Language Program, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland

Fatima College of Medicine, Manila, Philippines

International Health and Medicine Program, Ben Gurion University of the Negrev, Beer-Sheva, Israel

Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India

Medical University of the Americas/Nevis, Nevis, West Indies

Ross University School of Medicine, Roseau, Dominica

Saba University School of Medicine, Saba, Netherland Antilles

St. George’s University School of Medicine, St. George’s, Grenada

St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands