Interview invites are arriving!

QUOTE (OldManDave @ Oct 20 2002, 10:11 AM)

Dave -
Heck, you don't owe me an apology, and you're welcome. Kevin works in a private practice in Elmira, NY. We're about 1.5 hours S or SE of Rochester. He actually accepted a position at Rhode Island Hospital in Providence after residency. It was a few strokes of good luck that brought him here and into my neighborhood! He worked there for a year prior to coming here - he saw the ad for this job on gaswork.com and the person who posted the ad was a resident a year above him at UR. It was an amazing job offer, he already knew one of the docs, and his mom lives closeby. I wonder where they got Delaware from?
I'm glad you had a good time there. We both wish you well, though you don't need luck!

Hi there,
Dave must be out on the “rubber chicken” circuit and having an interesting time. I am, as all of you, eagerly awaiting his thoughts and experiences of the residency interviews. From experience, I can tell you that it is an exhausting process. That dark business suit tends to start to look like regulation wear to the local morticians convention. The folks sitting around tend to do the old “size-up” routine like during the medical school interviews. Everyone wants to impress with where they have interviewed and how competitive it is.
Perish the thought. This is a modified job interview even though the consequences here can be life changing. After you get into the internship year, whether a program is competitive or not has little use to you. You know that you have to get the job done.
The interviewees have begun to arrive at UVa. We look at them in amazement that just about nine months earlier, we were in the same boat. The females have thier smart dark suits with briefcase to match. The hair is carefully arranged. A few dare to wear slack and comfortable shoes. Most have dark heels that are too high and skirts that are too short. The guys have the dark suit, white shirt, conservative tie that is often tied too tight. Here we are standing around in scrubs, dingy long white labcoats with patient stickers and scribbled vital sights over out scrubs. Our small pagers have little gold pimp chains to keep them from falling in the toilet as you are racing out of the OR for the "sand box’ between cases. (At UVa, we have unlimited sodas available in the OR lounge so you can do the “Dew” between cases).
The interviewees are allowed to put on scrubs and look in on some of the cases. The nurses giggle and try to become tougher on us. My boss, who is the residency director, has a scrub cap with tiger stripes. My custom-made scrub cap has frolicking colorful figures and reminds me of a Jamaican festival. I get plenty of comments on my pearls and scrub cap. We are all cool here. My chief resident chats away about the latest rock albums as he puts in clips and questions me about the patients on the floor. I answers all of his questions with “Sir” at the end. “Yes Dr. Rovin, I checked his crit again sir, it has not changed over the last four hours sir.” "I gave him two units of packed cells sir. " He tells me to keep up the good work and I scramble out of the OR to do more floor chores.
So Dave, lets here how the other half is living on the circuit. Just think, you will be doing the same thing next year as I am doing this year and without standing up. cool.gif
Natalie