Intro and advice

I am excited to have found this site. I have already learned so much from the posts I have read.

A little background on me. I am a '99 graduate of the United States Naval Academy where I tried to go go to med school but did not have high enough MCAT scores. 25 was the best I could get taking them in the spring in the middle of varsity baseball season. I put my dream on the shelf after that and was a member of the Nuclear Navy and now hold a Senior Reactor Operators License from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission along with an MSE in Engineering Management.

I was looking at the MCAT in the spring or early summer but after talking to a few local Med Schools near Philly they are suggesting a post bac premed course. I would love some advice on this. Thanks and I look forward to participating in this forum.

Scott

• ScottK Said:
I was looking at the MCAT in the spring or early summer but after talking to a few local Med Schools near Philly they are suggesting a post bac premed course. I would love some advice on this. Thanks and I look forward to participating in this forum.

Scott

Welcome, ScottK.

Temple & Drexel both told me the exact same thing. I'd be curious to know which other schools you talked to. They're telling you this because they want to you to have coursework completed within the last 5 years and you took your pre-reqs 12+ years ago. I had coursework 8+ years old during my application year so, needless to say, I did not apply to any Philadelphia schools (even though that's where I grew up). The good news is that not every school is going to require recent coursework (5 years) or have an expiry date on coursework like Temple & Drexel. I would call a few medical schools in different parts of the country and get a second (and third and fourth and fifth, etc opinion).

Thanks for the info. I spoke to Drexel and the new school in Camden. Neither said they required the course work to be completed within 5 hrs in fact they specifically said they did not require it yet they recommended it to be competitive. I did not speak to temple but am looking into their post bac program as it has direct admission to their med school as long as you do well.

• ScottK Said:
.... course work to be completed within 5 hrs ....

Would be interesting to see how they enforce that rule!

umdnj-som has a graduate program through the Graduate school of biomedical sciences that is a feeder program into the medical school.