Introducing Me

…or is it I?

I’m a 25yr old pre-med in San Jose, CA. I graduated from SJSU last year with a BA in Communication Studies and a Minor in Aviation Operations. As an undergrad I took animal bio, physics, calculus, and g-chem…and graduated with a 3.851 GPA.

Now I’m a Post-Bac (still at SJSU) taking first semester O-Chem and Cell Bio.

I work part time as Manager of Safety at a jet charter company, which pays the bills (been with this company 7 years…started as a fueler). I also work part-time at NASA in an Aviation Safety program (they let me set my own schedule, so I go there at night).

To get medical experience, I’m volunteering at a local hospital in patient services (soon to be in the ER) and made friends with an anesthesiologist which has led to my observing surgery this week.

I aspire to be a Flight Surgeon in the USAF, but I hear that 90% of students in medschool end up changing their specialty. We’ll see.

Just found this forum, and glad it’s here. Our pre-med club is run by freshmen. Every time I go to a meeting I die a little inside…

Hi there:

Welcome! You’ve come to the right place. Good luck to you in your post bac and your future endeavors. I’m doing cell bio and org chem now-enjoy!

You’re further along than I am. I’m in gen chem and bio II right now.

Good luck!

Welcom to the site, this site is an invaluable resource tool! I hope you become and stay active here, the more the merrier!!

I can feel the pain of dying a little inside when at the pre-med club…I joined my college’s pre-med club at the urging of one of my classmates who informed me that not everyone is young…(he’s like 20) and I think the oldest person is like 21…I’m 27 which I know is not old, but I’m seriously the oldest person there and they have the meetings in the middle of the day so if I want to make them I end up missing half a day of work…which I do occasionally just to be active in it because I know it will pay eventually. My bosses love it! At least we get free pizza at the meetings…

• RAdamson Said:
I can feel the pain of dying a little inside when at the pre-med club....I joined my college's pre-med club at the urging of one of my classmates who informed me that not everyone is young..(he's like 20) and I think the oldest person is like 21...I'm 27 which I know is not old, but I'm seriously the oldest person there and they have the meetings in the middle of the day so if I want to make them I end up missing half a day of work....which I do occasionally just to be active in it because I know it will pay eventually. My bosses love it! At least we get free pizza at the meetings....

What are you actually getting out of these meetings that you aren't getting from here?

Cheers,

Judy

If you don’t like where your pre-med club is doing/ or what they are not doing, don’t waste your time. I was a part of pre-med society in my undergrad for a year or so, but I didn’t get much out if it so I just gave up. As you guys said - most of the kids there might still don’t know what they really want to do, or how to go about improving their resume/ look for opportunities to volunteer/ get involved etc. It looks to me like both of you guys (pballard and Rhonda) know what needs to be done and what you like doing…

Or I guess another option would be to get more involved and organize some cool volunteering events, shadowing program, invite speakers, have some resume workshop etc… it takes time tough, and again - they might not be there yet.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that… it’s not required to be a memeber of a pre-med club at your school to get accepted to a med school (at least I don’t think it is).

Kasia