introducing myself, happy to find this board

Hi,

I’m in Dallas, TX. I’m a 36 year old mother of two, ages 1 and 3. I am 4 classes away from a bachelor’s in psychology, and STILL have ALL medical school prereqs to take…sigh. I have only been taking one class at a time since my children have been born due to lack of child care, exhaustion, and wanting to make good grades without overloading myself. I’m thinking I need to start taking more classes at a time though, if I ever want to finish. I went to EMT school in 1997 and then worked in a big hospital here in Dallas for 6 years as a nurse tech in CCU and also as a scrub tech in the labor and delivery OR. I’m happy about my “life experiences”, but am worried about appearing “flaky” to admissions boards due to my slow pace in finishing college and the fact that my GPA is not stellar. (it’s a 2.9 currently). I’m overwhelmed with questions and about “where to start”. This fall, I am enrolled in a BIOL 2401 Anatomy and Physiology course. It is Honors, which scares me a little, but it is the only course for “science majors”. Next semester I plan to take two classes and see how I do with that load. I still have to take BIOL 2, Chem 1 and 2, O Chem 1 and 2, and Physics 1 and 2. I’m anxious about keeping my psychological momentum up at this point, and my GPA in the prereqs. ALso unsure about post bacc programs and if that would benefit me at this point. I’m thinking I need to get my BA in psychology, then tackle the pre reqs. I’m planning to speak to a premed advisor soon at the University of Texas soon and hopefully get answers. I’m glad I have found this site, as I have already gleaned a lot of information and encouragement just from reading other’s posts. Thanks for reading if you made it this far!Any tips appreciated and welcomed.

Hill

Welcome to the board! I’m fairly new at the premed thing, so i don’t know how much I could tell you that you don’t already know, but you’ve come to the right place for support, encouragment and information.

Good luck on your journey!

Talking to the pre-med advisor soon is a great idea. They may have some great thoughts on whether you should postpone graduating with your psych degree vs. finishing it and doing the pre-reqs post-bacc. I don’t know how much you’ve used financial aid, but you may also want to talk to a financial aid person and find out which path would be more beneficial to you that way.

Hi, I’m also new to this board, and i’m sooo glad i found it. Can anyone tell me how I create a new post?

Thanks!

Hello Hill,

I’m 32 years old with 4 kids, and will be have an Accounting degree this December. I still have all my prereq courses to do, then take the MCAT and hopefully score well. I think your in a much better place then I am, even though I’m graduating with honors…your studies are more related to medicine plus your years of experience with patient care/contact in a hosiptal will look very good on the application. I know when I spoke to the U of M Med Advisor, they told me that experience with patient contact is desirable.

I’d like to ask if it’s possible for someone with an Accounting background and degree to get admitted into Med School? Is there hope? Does anyone know of someone who has had success with getting into Med School without a science type bachelor degree?

Worried,

Mollie

• aneeka Said:
Hi, I'm also new to this board, and i'm sooo glad i found it. Can anyone tell me how I create a new post?

Thanks!

Click the button near the top of the forum that says NEW TOPIC. Welcome to OPM!