Introducing Myself - Should I do it?

Hi everyone, I absolutely love this site. It gives me hope and inspires me. I’ve had the Dr dream since I was 17, but when I received a scholarship from Juilliard for piano performance I chose music. Well, now I am 37 and on the faculty of a music conservatory, but I regret that I didn’t choose medicine. I don’t hate my job but I am sad and want to live my dream. Oh, and the salary of an associate music professor is not much better than the philosophy asst professor! (less than $40k)

I have a BM and MM from Juilliard where I had a 3.7 GPA. (THis was in the mid-90s). Fast-forward about 7 years: I took Gen Bio, Gen Chem, Org Chem, and Calculus in 2002-2003 at a local community college (yes, back then I was ready to do it but bills/family were just too much at the time.)

My gpa in those classes was 4.0. I am now taking Physics and Statistics and preparing for MCAT.

I plan on volunteering at the local hospital and perhaps going for EMT-1 training course.(Is that a bad a idea?)

I have never worked in health care, and I’m afraid that might work against me.

Any advice? Community college courses ok? (they claim to have equivalencies at major universities.)

Thank you for input and for this tremendous site!

Brian

If you truly want it, then go for it. A disclaimer however. Financial security is great till the day you have it.

If it is a salary issue, then it might not be wise to go for it. Sooner or later, even with a good pay, if you don’t like what you do, you will be depressed and this will put some serious strain on your family.

Now if you have the drive, motivation and will to be a doc for what the job is and what it means to you, then you will do a great doc.

Before making such a radical move, you may want to shadow a doc. In your case you are in music. Pretty far from science and medicine. It may be wise for you to see what you get into. Plus it is good on the application.

Good luck.

Welcome Brian and good luck on your journey.

I would recommed EMT school… Im one month away from finishing and even though its a little mundane and easy… it will be good to put on your application. I plan on trying to get a job in an ER as a emt= tech and that prob doesnt pay the best but will be GREAT experience and EXCITING! My class only cost 700 dollars and meets two nights a week for six months then take the State of Indiana test for certification as a EMT basic.

Good Luck!

James

• Look2bgr8 Said:
I would recommed EMT school.. Im one month away from finishing and even though its a little mundane and easy.. it will be good to put on your application. I plan on trying to get a job in an ER as a emt= tech and that prob doesnt pay the best but will be GREAT experience and EXCITING! My class only cost 700 dollars and meets two nights a week for six months then take the State of Indiana test for certification as a EMT basic.

Good Luck!

James

Just as a note - don't do an EMT course unless you plan to try and use your certification (as the above poster wants to). The certification itself is not going to add anything to your application as getting an EMT cert has become rather hot and trendy among pre-meds. In other words, it's not at all unique, and is pretty much discounted unless you have experience using your cert.

Before committing to a class, you might also want to check into the opportunities to use your cert in your area. ED jobs can be hard to come by for a basic EMT as they tend to pay more than running on a rig. Many departments also prefer paramedics over basics for tech jobs. Not saying it's a bad idea - just make sure that there will be an opportunity to use your cert if you do it.

Another piano player here … although FAR, FAR, less accomplished.

Anyway, welcome to OPM. I agree that shadowing is a good idea, as is your plan to volunteer. I don’t think it’s a problem that you haven’t had paid employment in health care – what med schools want to see is experience, not necessarily paid experience. So I wouldn’t worry there. Just get as much exposure as you can.

And good luck with physics! I am also taking physics this fall (in addition to a couple of other courses), and I’m a bit nervous … it was my weakest science in high school, although I still got a strong A even in an honors course. So we’ll see. Hope it goes well for you!