Introducing Shane....

Hello all.

After two decades of “I wish I was a doctor” and two years’ of serious consideration, I start my study of biochemistry in August.

I am 41 today and, when all goes has planned, I will enter residency when I am 49. This fact admittedly causes me to question the sanity and practicality of my choice to become a doctor now. It is difficult to describe but perhaps the community here can relate – I am absolutely certain that being a doctor is the ONLY vocation that excites me and inspires a sense of purpose unlike anything I have experienced before.

So I throw myself into this community of likeminded people for support, advice and camaraderie. I will be the conference this weekend in DC. My participation in the conference moves my aspiration from the dark recesses of my dreams to the light of reality – it is real now!

Thanks for being here. I look forward to the journey.

Hello Mr Oston.

Welcome to the forum. The bad news is “yes you are insane”. The good news is “so are we!”. Many of us made it at ages within the range you mention, we even have Dr who started and graduated in their 50s. I am starting at close to 40 as well. So as you can see, you are not the exception here, but a quasi-rule!

I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted along your journey. I am sure you will enjoy it as many of us do. That doesn’t mean it is easy, but fulfilling and rewarding, this I can guarantee.

Welcome to the neighborhood,

I’m 43 years young and will be 44 when I actually start somewhere due to two upcoming unforeseen surgeries. I too spent two decades in the “doctor pondering” corner but recently, decided to just go for it.

This is the best site I’ve come across for constant truth and encouragement. Hang in there and enjoy the journey!

"The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. " ~ Unknown

Same here Mr. Oston. Welcome to the ‘club’!

I’m 43 and I’m just about to start my prereqs this Summer. The way I see it, I will be 50 in 7 years anyway (GOD willing) even if I don’t go to med school. I might as well be a 50 year old MD. Welcome to the club and see you around.

Who’s insane??? Who’s “old” Not anyone here, that’s for sure!! I tend to see us as well seasoned, highly intelligent, and strongly motivated people who have the drive to do something interesting at midlife and beyond (besides buy a red sportscar and marry a 20 year old) I must really be a geek because becoming a doctor is more exciting to me than the above scenario!!!

Same boat! 39 and starting PRE med Monday! Super excited, nervous and every other emotion, but mostly have that feeling of “finally”!!! Good luck to us all!

Shane -

Did I meet you? If you’re still at the hotel in the morning hope you drop by and say hi! Glad you could make it and hope it was helpful!

Kate