Introduction and question

Hello everyone,

I am in my early 30’s and currently a post bacc student. I decided to commit to this journey a little over a year ago. I’m really glad I found this forum and would appreciate any help.

The long and short of it is this:

I officially graduated roughly 7 years ago with a BS. I took all the prereqs over 10 years ago and graduated with a mediocre 3.3 uGPA and a borderline 3.0 sGPA. In hindsight, I did not take my classes that seriously and put no real effort into them.

I tried to redeem myself by enrolling in a science graduate program that I ended up leaving sans any degree but with a terrible transcript—lots of W’s and I’s. I had the best of intentions getting into this program but my life took a plunge.

So, I’m back in school now. I have taken the 1-year bio over again. I also took A&P I&II and microbiology. I have a 4.0 at this moment. I’m registered this semester for a cell bio course and an anthropology course.

I have two questions:

1. I’m strongly leaning toward dropping the anthropology course. The course isn’t difficult, just awful course. The professor isn’t giving us any real grades. Honestly, it was a mistake to register for it. Would it be extremely foolish of me to drop it and get a W? (this will likely be the case) Will adcoms really from upon this W, in light of my history?

2. I opted for a post bacc at a local school to improve both my GPAs. I was trying to avoid the high cost SMPs by taking a rigorous course load of mainly ‘upper division courses’—and to get some letters of rec—but it’s proving to be extremely difficult. The course choice is limited; I can’t really get a full load of classes in one semester. Next term, I’ll only be able to register for 2 upper division bio courses. Is an SMP absolutely unavoidable in my case?

• docorbust Said:
1) I’m strongly leaning toward dropping the anthropology course. The course isn't difficult, just awful course. The professor isn't giving us any real grades. Honestly, it was a mistake to register for it. Would it be extremely foolish of me to drop it and get a W? (this will likely be the case) Will adcoms really from upon this W, in light of my history?

Finish the course. Admissions committees look at patterns. Since you have a red flag with W's & I's and not finishing the masters, having another W would make an adcom wonder if that is just is your normal pattern. Suck it up, work thru the prof's crap and get an A.

• docorbust Said:
2) I opted for a post bacc at a local school to improve both my GPAs. I was trying to avoid the high cost SMPs by taking a rigorous course load of mainly ‘upper division courses’—and to get some letters of rec—but it’s proving to be extremely difficult. The course choice is limited; I can’t really get a full load of classes in one semester. Next term, I’ll only be able to register for 2 upper division bio courses. Is an SMP absolutely unavoidable in my case?

Combining the lack of available courses locally, not doing well in your previous masters (raising the flag of can you hack it academically), and not completing a previous masters program (raising the flag of commitment), an SMP may improve your chances considerably.

I will try talking to the professor before I decide what to do with the course. I’m truly on the fence about it. I know it does not help my case. I’m not taking the decision lightly.

About the previous program, the reason why I left it and my grades suffered was because of severe depression (had no support system). Leaving the program was a decision I struggled with for a year and a half. I didn’t want to quit so I kept registering but was not able to cope, hence the W’s and I’s. Depression just crushed me. Is this something I should explain in my future applications? A lot of the advice I’ve seen suggest that one should not disclose such a thing.

I’m sure you’re aware that medsch does not allow you the option of dropping this block or that block because the instructor does not measure up. So I too suggest you suck it up and complete the course, even if it means taking a B. That would be better than a W. By the way, I’ve been through what you have with regard to bad instructors. Also, this is intended to be helpful, not hurtful, by the way.

• docorbust Said:
About the previous program, the reason why I left it and my grades suffered was because of severe depression (had no support system). Leaving the program was a decision I struggled with for a year and a half. I didn't want to quit so I kept registering but was not able to cope, hence the W's and I's. Depression just crushed me. Is this something I should explain in my future applications? A lot of the advice I've seen suggest that one should not disclose such a thing.

Wow. I can totally relate here.

As a general rule, adcoms look for how reasonable and dependable you are. You need to know why you were depressed and what you need to do to prevent relapse. If explaining your situation and citing your depression raises the question "How do you know this won't happen again in med school?" and you don't have a good answer, then your goose is well and truly cooked.

On the other hand, if your depression was a major turning point in your career path and you learned valuable lessons from it -- including how to prevent any future recurrence, if the depression was situational and not organic -- then it might be appropriate to discuss. Just not before your interviews, probably.

I'd still be very, very leery of talking about it unless you have an excellent reason for doing it.

Something to think about: if the Anthropology course is “Physical (or Biological) Anthropology” then it counts towards sciGPA of AACOMAS. If it is just a general anthro class then it is a non-science.