Introduction/ Post Bacc Questions

I am a Newbie here and graduated in 93’ 1)so does that disqualify all pre req coursework? 2)Any suggestions on whom to speak with to find out about “non-traditional parameters”. After re-reading other related discussions I am leaning toward redoing all science based coursework. So back to 2-4 years of math, biology, chemisty, physics just to prep for MCATS and entrance requirements! The reality of that timeline plus the 8-10 years once we are accepted is…slightly overwhelming to this 42 yo single parent.

As I understand it, pretty much any med school is going to disregard any pre-req courses over 5-10 years old (the exact time frame varies, but I haven’t heard of any that accept 10+). For MCAT purposes, you’ll definitely want Biology at the very least, it changes too quickly for anything really over 5 years to be worth much to you. If you’re in a hurry, highly motivated and well-financed, then you could look into taking a one-year post-bacc program and be done in 12 months, but you have to realize that you can’t even consider working or doing anything other than considering school your full-time job if you go that route. You could also do self-directed in two years pretty easily, as well, assuming you have a flexible enough schedule to be able to take all the courses you need.

You already have the degree, so more math is not required. You might consider hiring a tutor and/or getting a workbook and refresh yourself on algebra and trig. If you intend to apply to a school that requires calc-based physics you’ll want to brush up there too. Then jump in with re-doing the basic sciences.

I think NightGod is right – 18 years is too long. Since you graduated, the human genome has been sequenced and it pretty much changed everything about the way life sciences are taught. I agree two years is a reasonable time frame to DIY post-bacc if you need to keep working. Don’t worry about your age. A lot of us didn’t start our journeys until we were in our 40s. Welcome aboard and keep us posted.

• NightGod Said:
As I understand it, pretty much any med school is going to disregard any pre-req courses over 5-10 years old (the exact time frame varies, but I haven't heard of any that accept 10+)

While most schools will not have a formal/posted policy when classes expire, I have seen a few that have something along the lines,

"Applicants who have completed all of their pre-medical requirements prior to five years at the time of application must show evidence of participation in either academic or work experience in the biological sciences. Academic experience should include at least one course in a discipline such as cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, immunology or neuroscience. Work experience may include research in the biological sciences." (Albert Einstein Medical School

• NightGod Said:
For MCAT purposes, you'll definitely want Biology at the very least, it changes too quickly for anything really over 5 years to be worth much to you.

Not only does introductory biology change rapidly, biochemistry is quickly becoming a required pre-req for med school

• NightGod Said:
If you're in a hurry, highly motivated and well-financed, then you could look into taking a one-year post-bacc program and be done in 12 months, but you have to realize that you can't even consider working or doing anything other than considering school your full-time job if you go that route.

The question I always ask students is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly?

I would strongly concur with the above and advise students against one-year postbaccs, particularly if they have been out of school for a while. These programs have to either throw you into chemistry and bio starting in June, often in compressed summer-term courses or hit you the next June with Organic in compressed summer-term courses followed by a late summer MCAT.

• NightGod Said:
You could also do self-directed in two years pretty easily, as well, assuming you have a flexible enough schedule to be able to take all the courses you need.

When students plan to do their pre-reqs in two years (with MCAT at end of 2nd) year, you have a "glide" year while application is submitted, considered, etc. This 3rd year should be planned for as well with taking an advanced course or two, improving on MCAT if need be, and generally stay in prep mode if for nothing more than showing continued motivation and commitment at interview. It also keeps you on top if, need be, you need to reapply.

I will be 42 in October and am just now finishing my second semester of Organic Chemistry. I will be taking the MCAT this summer along with submitting applications.

Like you, two years ago I was quite nervous and a bit apprehensive to get started, but I am so glad that I did. Even if I do not get accepted into med school, the journey so far has been so very rewarding and well worth my time. I have met so many new people and formed new friendships through school and volunteering opportunities that I would otherwise never have experienced if I had not taken the first step on this journey. Added to this, the challenges of being back in the classroom and immersing myself in the subject matter has been very rewarding as well.

I view the 8 to 10 years of med school and residency in the same light: exciting new knowledge and new friendships with like-minded colleagues. Like the pre-req phase, this will be a phase of the journey to be enjoyed all on its own…not just a means to an end.

If you decide to jump in, please keep us posted, and enjoy the ride!