Introduction

Hello all! I have decided to go back to school after a rather dismal career in construction. I am basically starting over with the goal of becoming an emergency room physician. I have always wanted to be a doctor, but I never thought I would have the time or the money to pursue my dream. Now that this recession is on, construction has slowed down to next to nothing in my neck of the woods and I have been laid off of work for basically a year now. It is time for me to find a job that is recession proof! My wife is currently an RN, BSN and is going to school for her CRNA now. Once she has graduated as a CRNA I will be able to devote 100% of my time to medical school. I am starting my undergrad work in the fall and can not wait to get started. I have never been so excited about anything in my life. I know that the college that I am going to be attending has a cirriculum for pre-med, but I was wondering if it would be more beneficial in the long run to study biology or chemistry as an undergrad major? Any input from those who have been there would be most appreciated as I know very little about what I am getting myself into!!! I was so excited to find this forum. It feels good to know I am not the only one that is an “older” pre-med. I seem to be in good company. I was afraid that at 30 I would be laughed at for wanting med school at my age.

welcome. You are among kindred spirits.

Regarding what to study as an undergrad, I say study something that interests you. So long as you have completed all your basic science requirements to attend med school, you can hold ANY Bachelor’s degree and get into medical school.

If there is something other than Chemistry or Bio that interests you, pursue a Bachelor’s in it. It may be easier for you than a science major, will allow for more flexibility in your career options (should an MD not work out for a myriad of reasons), and shows that you are not just interested in medicine…but an interesting person. Business isn’t a bad option (being a doctor often involves management of other people)…etc. I chose Communication Studies, partly because I was tired of doctors that couldn’t communicate.

In the end, it doesn’t matter. What does matter is that you have the basic sciences, and have a high GPA. Choosing a topic that really interests you, will help your GPA and may be something you can work to your advantage in an interview.

Best of luck.

Welcom to the site, you will find that this an amazing place with even more amazing members!!