Introduction

Hey OPM! I am John Fitzgerald, and I am currently a BS/MD Candidate at Tennessee State University. I am on track to enter Meharry Medical College Fall 2013 (provided the Mayans are wrong…hehe). I am very excited about my journey as I am most definitely not alone. My family consists of my wife and 3 children, ages 3,7,&9. I am a full time student this semester. I currently have a 4.0 with the my current University. A bit about my background. I began this journey back in the Fall of 1996, when I entered Morehouse College as a pre-med student. My time there was both glorious and short-lived. I ended up moving back home after my first year. I decided to veer off course a lot after becoming infatuated with the music industry and the prospect of becoming an entertainment attorney. So I started my own recording label and went back to school to major in communications at MTSU. I met my now wife in the Fall of 1999, and I pledged Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. Spring 2000, which happened to be my worst semester ever. Prior to MTSU, I attended Volunteer State C.C. and transferred to MTSU with a 3.7. When I left MTSU, I had a 1.9 GPA.:(. I was kind of in and out of school attempting to find my way. One year later, we acquire my then 2 week old niece and adopted her (she is now 9 years old). I felt like I needed to do something really fast regarding a career, so I got my insurance license and my series 6,63 and began selling insurance and mutual funds. I did this for 8 years up until the market began to turn at the end of 07. It was at this time that I decided to finish what I started in 1996. So, I researched TSU and found they were one of the few Universities that had the BS/MD Degree Program. I met with an adviser and so my journey began Fall of 2009. I applied for academic fresh start and have maintained a 4.0 GPA ever since. I am supposed to take the MCATs some time next year. Reaching this goal is especially important to me, because I was voted most likely to succeed at my high school in the class of 1996. Since then, I have been sputtering towards achieving the goal of most likely to succeed, and now, I have my shot. My inspiration for becoming a physician was spawned by my uncle, who is a Nephrologist,Critical Care, and Internal Medicine physician. I am 33 years old working towards my dream, and I am content. I live in that special place now between peace and serenity knowing that I am doing something awesome for myself and my family. Until next time…

Welcome to OPM and thanks for sharing your story. I know we have a few OPMers in the Nashville area (Carrieliz, are you listening). Keep us up to date on your journey

Oh, wow-- JOHN! I am currently finishing my pre-reqs at TSU and will take the MCAT in the spring as well… graduated high school in '95 and am 34, so I’ve just got a year on you. I have 2 beautiful daughters and live with my husband in Smyrna… we’re also musicians (when we aren’t doing out ‘day jobs’ or I’m not in school… LOL)

Small world!!! I’m so ecstatic to see another Nash-villian on this site! Welcome, and I hope you find it to be the source of genuine support and help that I have. There’s a lot of wisdom lurking on these pages…

Send me a message if you’d like–I’m on campus every night during the week, so it would be awesome to say hi! (Who knows–we may be in class together and not know it. Crazy, huh?)

Best of luck, and looking forward to hearing about your progress!

Welcome John!

May I recommend some line breaks and/or carriage returns? Easier on the reader’s eyes!

• Dazed Said:
May I recommend some line breaks and/or carriage returns? Easier on the reader's eyes!

Nobody calls them carriage returns anymore. Made me smile to see that.... and wish I still had a typewriter.
  • PixieSanders Said:
  • Dazed Said:
May I recommend some line breaks and/or carriage returns? Easier on the reader's eyes!

Nobody calls them carriage returns anymore. Made me smile to see that.... and wish I still had a typewriter.

Well at least I didn't call them line feeds - remember the dot matrix printers?
  • Dazed Said:
  • PixieSanders Said:
  • Dazed Said:

Well at least I didn't call them line feeds - remember the dot matrix printers?

I think a dated a girl named Dot Matrix once. She always sat in a Lotus Position. And if I didn't write her a WordPerfect letter, she would "Dbase" me. DOS is all.
  • gonnif Said:
I think a dated a girl named Dot Matrix once. She always sat in a Lotus Position. And if I didn't write her a WordPerfect letter, she would "Dbase" me. DOS is all.

...and children, this is why posting on the Internet after Tequila is a bad idea!

Hmm… new invention, will make millions - breathalyzer for both computers and cell phones. Prevents amusing-but-questionable posting & texting!

• Dazed Said:
  • gonnif Said:

...and children, this is why posting on the Internet after Tequila is a bad idea!

Ohh I don't know . . . I thought it was pretty punny myself.

Thanks so much for the welcome. I look forward to supporting those in need.

Thank you so much for the reply. Being that we are nontraditional, pre-med students, we are most definitely a minority. Add the dynamic of being on TSU’s campus, and we are even more of a minority. I am glad to meet you. I look forward to networking with you.

John,

Congratulations brother and welcome to OPM! This road is “long, rough, and rugged…” but one I am sure you can handle. Keep ACHIEVING…

TJJ

• PixieSanders Said:
Hmm.... new invention, will make millions - breathalyzer for both computers and cell phones. Prevents amusing-but-questionable posting & texting!

Dis'ed on my own site. I get no respect, no respect at all.

Pass the salt and lime

I appreciate that good brother. YITB, Yo!

I hope you get the score you want!

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.