Introductions...

Hello All,

I just stumbled upon this community while I was doing some research on Non-Traditional Pre-Med students. I just wanted to introduce myself. I have always wanted to be a doctor, ever since I was a child, however, for one reason or another, I drifted away from that and chose to pursue a degree in Business. So, after earning a B.S. in Accounting, and later a M.A. in Labor Relations, I am currently enrolled in a Master of Business Education program, however, I am still unable to let go of the dream of becoming a Doctor. I still think that this is what I am meant to do with my life, so, I am considering withdrawing from this program in order to pursue a career in Medicine. I unfortunately have not taken any of the Pre-Requisites, so I will essentially be starting completely over, which is a scary prospect, one which many people I’ve talked to can not seem to comprehend. I have felt kind of alone in this and have not been able to find anybody to discuss it with that didn’t think I was crazy for wanting to start over at 26. So, I can not express how relieved I am to see that there are many others in similar situations. I just wanted to see if anybody out there had a success story that they could share with me to boost my spirits a little.

Regards,

Sean

Sean,

I’m almost in the same boat… I withdrew from my Master program to finish up my pre-reqs. Luckily I started them a few years back so I am just finishing up whatever else I have left. But I hear ya, since I’m essentially starting over I’ve been getting grief about it.

I dont have a success story (yet :P) since I’m just in my pre-med prime, but there are many people here who have brilliant success stories… and much of my motivation at this point comes from reading about them.

Im sure someone will chime in and jog my memory, but I forgot the names of the people who i’ve read about sorry!

Hi Sean

Welcome to Old Premeds. Your story sounds a lot like mine and probably many others that I’ve read on here. At one time I’m sure we were all told we were crazy for wanting to go to med school. Just hang in there and read the posts that are on the web site, there is a lot of useful information.

Good luck,

Robert

i’m applying to med schools right now in the current cycle for the 2010 school year. so i hope to have a success story to share soon

Thanks for the reply Putnam. It’s good to know I’m not alone.

Thanks Robert.

Good Luck Twistqueen!!!