As of late I find myself highly irritated (but my resolve has not shaked!) by the people I share the campus with… maybe I’m just getting old and cranky (recently passed the 1/4 century mark myself) but there is something seriously wrong with today’s students. A few observations:
- Library: For as far back as I could remember, you keep your voice down, concentrate, do research, get your homework done… fast forward to 2008. The library is more like a glorified starbucks now. Everyone pretty much converses away at normal volumes now. I was a pretty bad troublemaker growing up, but even I could understand and respect this concept.
- Laptops: This critique also applies to grad students as well. Some people like to type their notes up on laptops while the lecture is going on, that is fine. I did a random polling of what was going on in their screens during a lecture. Behold: Myspace, facebook, and at least 3 screens of world of warcraft.
- The Cell Phone: As a courtesy, I shut down the thing completely. Yes, I reach for the power button and press it, before an exam. I seem to be in the minority here. In every exam I’ve sat in, I’ve heard an average of about 3 phones go off. Perpetrators get only a slight slap on the wrist. Usage of phones is the same problem. I had to take a diagnostic test for an oscilloscope this morning, and the test administrator (who was also a student) was just yapping away at his cell the whole time. Oh, and what’s the first thing you do when you get into a car? Yep, if you answered turn on your cell and start talking, that’s the correct answer!
-Academic Dishonesty: Pretty much the norm. Cheating seems to rampant and the case rather than the exception now.
-Racism: As a “non-protected” minority I feel much less comfortable now then 4 years ago. During a biology class when discussing polygenic inhertance and human height, the issue of nature vs nurture came up, which launched the instructor into a life expectancy tangent on developing countries, to which a student yelled out, “like China?” The instructor chuckled.
The list goes on and on… if this is the future of the America I’m scared sh!tless. Oh, and the university I’m taking my prereqs bills itself as a top Midwest engineering university.
- Are parents failing?
- Are high schools failing?
- Is the collective IQ of the human race falling?
Anyways, I’m so glad this is my last semester.