Irritated by 18-23 demographic...

What irritates me is my 19 year old son, Going to a Accredited University but because its in the south his friends in the north have convinced him its a joke!!! He is paying 1200 a semester for as many credits he can take in tuition a quarter of the tuition costs that his friends pay, even his cost of housing is super low, his total cost a month to live including food is around 600 USD! Now this kid thinks he can transfer to a college up north and get the additional money ( about 3 times what is being paid now) to go to one of these more “Challenging colleges”

He thinks this college is not challenging enough but he failed 2 courses (Dropped them in time for a W) so they are not challenging? No he says its the professor and one was Math.

LOL

Look what you did, ipity. haha. You’ve got the whole place in an uproar.

I definitely see what you’re saying, trust me. But I still try to have faith in the old saying “cheaters never prosper”. Of course, maybe they have a different idea as to what “prosper” really means…but needless to say, don’t let them drive you to wits end- ignore them, tune them out, hell wish the worst misfortunes you can think of on them, but don’t let them hinder your performance. You’ve got a dream- defend it with fire.

The one thing I do want to point out- college is taken for granted these days because it is expected. It has become the standard. You can’t work at McDonald’s without a bachelor’s these days. haha. So the quality has gone down to meet the need. Of course the reciprocal to this whole scheme is if everyone has a bachelor’s it loses its value. I don’t know if the egg came before the chicken or not, but either way I’m sure this is nothing new to anyone.

p.s…don’t wish misfortunes on people…you’re not supposed to do that. haha.

I think Dave has the right idea. You guys are being overly critical. Yes, college is a place to be serious about your studies and make the most of the educational opportunities in front of you but thats just my opinion (and I did not even fully understand that until I had graduated college). You all sound horrible saying x, y, and z student should be doing this and should not be doing that. I am not saying there is not merit in your arguments but at the same time you do sound like JCE put it, grumpy in your old age.

You all know what you want and need to do in college right now. Just focus on that and not on what Timmy, Jimmy, and Jenny are doing three rows ahead of you. Them “wasting” their opportunities has nothing to do with you making the most of your own.

So in short - chill out and just worry about doing your own thing.

Wow… I started a mini-revolution here. Haven’t checked this site for a week, since I was up to my eyeballs with work, and boom 2 pages…

I’ve been trying to go by what Dave said, trying my best to hyper-focus and tune out the garbage cluttering my senses.

Although I agree it could just be youthful folly, I am just feeling a huge change in attitude, manners, honesty, and work ethic from the younger crowd than from when I finished my undergrad a few years ago.

When I had graduated in 03, the big thing happening was corporate dishonesty - ie. Enron, Anderson, Adelphia, etc. My beliefs and outlook of things were thus heavily influenced by this.

I have always felt that the immoral behavior of the CEO’s who stole billions in cash must have come from somewhere. I am fairly convinced that this “win by any means necessary” attitude comes from years of unchecked behavior in school: from cheating in hs, from fluffing your resume, and for the total lack of ethics in MBA programs at the time.

Maybe I’m just old fashioned. But a return to teaching kids about ethical behavior, hard work, and some basic manners, would be nice and ultimately produce better citizens

I think a LOT of these claims are legit. If Timmy, Jimmy, and Jenny’s cell phones keep going off in class it IS a disruption for EVERYONE. Perosnally, I have no problem asking a person to kindly please turn off their device(s). I don’t pay $4500/class to get interupted ever 5 minutes and at my age, it’s a struggle to stay awake and focused in class, lol!!!

It took a while but I did finally get used to the pecking on keyboards during lecture, in fact since I couldn’t beat 'em, I joined 'em!

Oh, yeah, I’ll complain to instructors after class if cell phones have been distracting me and ask him or her to enforce turning them off. Sometimes faculty just needs a mandate to feel comfortable enforcing rules, which I think is sad.

But the little stuff I just try to get over. They can do whatever the heck they want as long as they don’t make too much noise.

• ipitydafoo Said:

When I had graduated in 03, the big thing happening was corporate dishonesty - ie. Enron, Anderson, Adelphia, etc. My beliefs and outlook of things were thus heavily influenced by this.

I could not help but laugh when I heard you graduated in 2003. I graduated the same year dude! This should not be anything new to you. Yeah, cell phones and wifi were not as prevalent in class when we graduated but we did have our fair share of whispering conversations going on during lecture and I will admit, I too was a bit perturbed by them. My point is how much could you have matured in five years? I don't think it has gotten that much worse since the days of our youth (especially when our youth was less then five years ago!).

You are a funny dude!

I am by no means a highly mature person, I just know what the limits are.

And the purpose of my ranting was just to emphasize that in my 4 yr absence from academia, things have gotten MUCH worse.

Oh, while I’m at this, I would like to add that today’s music is absolute crap. At least the gangsta rap of my generation was to educate people on the oppression that was the evil organization known as the L.A.P.D, now it’s just about clubbin… grills, spinnin rims, or w/e these sad “hip-hop” people consider cool.

Oh I hate ice cream and puppies too…

jk jk

I can’t wait to be back in classes with the 18-23 year olds this fall, ten years after I initially started (I’ll be 28 in the fall). I remember being the 23 year old in a 300 level class, you feel like the old person, until you turn around and there’s a 65 year old guy auditing the class. I guess it goes in cycles.

When I was in school a few years ago, there were kids between 3 and 5 years younger than me in my class. For many, it seemed like they thought they were still in high school. I’m at a CC, by the way. But, such is life. It take awhile for kids that age to get a grip on their act and their ego…lol.

As a side note, I was at a Friday’s with my wife, mother-in-law, and my son and a team of girls from a softball (presumably) team came in. Well, at first glance for me I thought these girls were 12 or 13. But I started to think to myself why would 12/13 year old girls be at a restaurant at noon on a school day? That’s when my wife said, they’re not 13, you idiot, they’re at least 18. I said no way. My mother-in-law agreed and then she said that they only look younger as you get older. I couldn’t believe how young an 18 yr old looked to me. It was only 6-7 yeara ago that I was 18!!! Sheesh!

• ipitydafoo Said:
...the purpose of my ranting was just to emphasize that in my 4 yr absence from academia, things have gotten MUCH worse.

LOL! Try returning after sitting out from 1987 until 1996 - grad from HS in '84. Jesus, not only was I almost old enough to have partied with these guys PARENTS, they had gone & added 3 whole new families to the phylogenic tree. Back in the 80s, when I first went to college, there were ONLY plants, animals & microscopic. Jump to 1996, there were now 5 & they were contemplating a 6th. Those subjects that I viewed as stagnant & immutable for the last 1000 years: biology, physics & chemistry, had all gone and changed!

• ipitydafoo Said:
...I would like to add that today's music is absolute crap. At least the gangsta rap of my generation was to educate people on the oppression that was the evil organization known as the L.A.P.D, now it's just about clubbin... grills, spinnin rims, or w/e these sad "hip-hop" people consider cool.

No offense, but my generation felt the same way about rap music when it first surfaced. And, the folks prior to my generation thought my music was shit...and still do. I was fortunate to have been born in-between (1966) & grew up listening to some fabulous classic tunes on the radio - album oriented rock, protest music & all the artful tunes from the late-60s/early-70s. And then, was able to experience the blatant excesses of the 80s music scene. I am truly fortunate...and have probably the most eclectic tastes in music of anyone I know. In a single 5-disc load I may have Pink Floyd, techno/trance, blue grass, opera & some old head-music. But, I do not own any rap & probably never will...just cannot wrap my noodle around it.

This thread is just another reason why fewer physicians are going into geriatric medicine.

LOL! Are YOU implying that WE are OLD & CRANKY!?!?!?

• OldManDave Said:
No offense, but my generation felt the same way about rap music when it first surfaced. And, the folks prior to my generation thought my music was shit...and still do

I think our generation (I was born in '66 too) had an almost complete segregation of music. For the most part Blacks only listened to music by other Blacks ( myself and friends/relatives throughly enjoyed Rap music - It had meaning back in the day), and whites did the same. Of course,part of my childhood was spent in Cali, so music has never had a "color" for me.

These days when I car rolls up next to mine and I hear Rap music being blasted from the stereo, I can rarely guess the race of the driver and I live in the richest/whitest county in Maryland. Perosnally I think this "crossover" is a good thing.
  • OldManDave Said:

hahaha...I was implying nothing, you came to that conclusion, not me
  • medeirosaurus Said:
My mother-in-law agreed and then she said that they only look younger as you get older. I couldn't believe how young an 18 yr old looked to me. It was only 6-7 yeara ago that I was 18!!! Sheesh!

I haven't expereinced this at all. In fact, I'll have to disagree with it.

I don't see many 18-23 year olds who look young and I think a lot of it has to to with the fact that so many young people aren't into sports activities like my generation was. For example, just because you're young, doesn't mean you SHOULD wear belly shirts and skinny jeans. These kids wear whatever and often look a hot mess! At least my generation knew our limitations, lol!!!
  • pathdr2b Said:
These days when I car rolls up next to mine and I hear Rap music being blasted from the stereo, I can rarely guess the race of the driver and I live in the richest/whitest county in Maryland. Perosnally I think this "crossover" is a good thing.

"Crossover", or 'diversity' as I prefer to call it, is phenomenal. Up here in Northern New England, if I hear rap blaring from the car, it is a safe bet they are white...but it is so lilly white up here that it is a safe bet independent of the tunes (or lack of tunes) you hear!! However, it is precisely the "lilly-whiteness" that is driving me to seek a culturally diverse place to settle. I have no desire for my kids to have a look of marvel when they encounter a non-white person. To raise them in such a homogenous environment is a travesty!

All that aside, I just never developed an "ear" for rap - love techno & some dance (mostly 80s/90s heavily synthesized style) - just can't do the rap.
  • OldManDave Said:
  • pathdr2b Said:

"Crossover", or 'diversity' as I prefer to call it, is phenomenal. Up here in Northern New England, if I hear rap blaring from the car, it is a safe bet they are white...but it is so lilly white up here that it is a safe bet independent of the tunes (or lack of tunes) you hear!! However, it is precisely the "lilly-whiteness" that is driving me to seek a culturally diverse place to settle. I have no desire for my kids to have a look of marvel when they encounter a non-white person. To raise them in such a homogenous environment is a travesty!

All that aside, I just never developed an "ear" for rap - love techno & some dance (mostly 80s/90s heavily synthesized style) - just can't do the rap.

Out of curiosity, what do you listen to as far as techno/trance goes? I love trance but I find that it's rather hard to find good DJs/artists since there's ten crappy ones for every good one (just like with any genre unfortunately).

I genuinely suck at remembering names, but a couple come to mind: Paul Oakenfeld, Enigma, Moby, Green Forest. There used to be an internet radio station called www.cableradio.com, or something similar. They had a Trance channel that was awesome! I learned of this place early in my MS-1 year & studied to it t/o my 1st two years of med school - until it went belly-up.

I will take a gander at my collection & give you some additional artists’ names.

• OldManDave Said:

Yup...