Is it bad not to get an interview early

I’ve been calling around MD and DO schools and all of the have stated that they’ve started interview, and I haven’t heard anything.

This isn’t a good sign, is it.

You know, I thought the same thing and when I went to my first interview this week, I was surprised to see how many first year medical students got their interviews in January, February, or March. It made me feel a lot better.

That being said, I’m sure there are more spots open at the beginning of the interview cycle than at the end.

Your odds are always better when they have more spots available, I’ve heard some admissions folks say “If we can we’ll accept everyone that interviews today” (ie it’s not like they are saying today we have 10 spots to give and tomorrow 10, ect.) So yeah when you are in the first 50-100 to intreview for a 200 seat class it can feel a lot more like luck is on your side.

All of that being said the definition of interviewing early is like interviewing before Thanksgiving. There are still classes that have 10% of their seats open in Janruary, so it is always important to worry more about doing good in your interview rather than when your interview is, even in the spring they may have held a seat or two for someone and getting high on a waitlist is always important. On my class facebook group this summer there were always one or two folks getting off a waitlist and going elsewhere or getting into DMU. The interview season isn’t over til the last school send you a rejection. Keep your head up.

My school of choice doesn’t start interviews until 10/1… last year, they started inviting people around 9/25.

This wait is so hard!!!