Is this common?

How common is it to apply to both MD and DO programs? Although my philosophy of care is more aligned with osteopathy, an MD program would offer more residency options. I do have a bit of time to decide, since I am starting my prereqs in the fall.

Do any of you plan to apply to both types of programs? Why or why not?

Yea, I believe so. I plan to apply to both just because I have residency in a state that has so many MD programs but I too like the philosophy of the Osteopath.

Oh! Also, Im not to fond of taking the COMLEX and the USMLE…

Short answer - Yes, very common.

Long answer - Why, yes britlitgal, it is quite common to apply to both Allopathic and Osteopathic medical schools.

• In reply to:
Although my philosophy of care is more aligned with osteopathy, an MD program would offer more residency options.

I think you will find that the residency options for DO students is not as limited as you would surmise. Richard (aka Gonnif) and others have much more information on this subject. Bottom line, DOs get paid the same as MDs. They work the same hours. They do the same jobs. They (dare I say it?) have MORE to study in school. Learning OMM is quite time consuming from what I have heard. The reasons for choosing DO over MD are likely different for everyone.

I myself will be applying very broadly. I would love to have the privilege of choosing between DO and MD! My choice will certainly be school specific, not based on whether I will have DO or MD after my name.

I would say that 90% of the applicants apply both. The 10% that don’t are usually folks who pretty much guarentte themselves they have an MD acceptance. So you’re talking 3.9+ amd 30+.

In my experience with my clients, it’s not as common as is mentioned here. Less than 50% applying to both. FWIW.

Cheers,

Judy

britlitgal -

I agree with Radar Denny. I thought I’d look up some information on the 4th year students from my school and their match. As I understand it, out of 154, I think one had to scramble. From the match list I looked at how many matched into AOA residencies (osteopathic residencies), how many matched into ACGME residencies, and how many matched into dually accredited residencies. Now my school (WVSOM) is known for its rural Primary Care emphasis and a lot of students come here for that (I did) so there is a preponderance of primary care specialties but it should give you an idea of what’s available. There are not an AOA residencies for some specialties, but the students who selected those were able to get ACGME residencies. I’ve made a table. If the numbers don’t always add up, sometimes the student had not given the school the info yet on the accreditation of the residency they matched into. Oh, and traditional rotating internships (TRI) are like the internship year used to be in ACGME residencies: that has been retained in some AOA residencies. It covers I think family med, OB, general surgery…forget exactly what else. 3 of the students doing these are military and are required to do that year, then serve as a general medical officer for 2 years before completing a specialty residency.

specialty Total AOA ACGME Dual

Anesthesia 5 1 4 0

Emergency Med 10 9 1 0

Family Med 35 17 6 12

General Surgery 4 2 1 1

IM/EM 3 2 1 0

IM 36 16 6 9

Med/Peds 3 0 3 0

Neurology 3 1 2 0

OB/GYN 14 3 9 1

Opthalmology 2 1 1 0

Orthopedic Surg. 1 0 1 0

Otolaryngology 2 2 0 0

Pathology 1 0 1 0

Pediatrics 11 3 6 2

Peds/Psych/Child 1 0 1 0

PM and R 1 0 1 0

Prelim. Surgery 4 0 4 0

Psychiatry 7 1 3 3

TRI 5 5 0 0

TRI before 3 3 0 0

I thought this could give you a general idea. Knowledge is power. Sorry I couldn’t get it to let me import it as a table so had to type it here and it removes my spacing. Oh, PM and R is physical medicine and rehabilitation if you are wondering.

One nice thing about DO schools is that the osteopathic match is before the ACGME match, so you can apply to both, and if you match osteopathically, withdraw from the ACGME match but otherwise stay in and still maybe not have to scramble.

Kate

Just a few thoughts:

1. 2010 survey by AACOM to all of the over 13,000 DO applicants specifically trying to get a picture of cross applications to MD, DO, and Off-shore schools, found 67% applied to both MD and DO. That would mean of about 8,900 of the 42,741 AMCAS applicants also applied via AACOMAS. So 20% MD applicants also applied to DO school.

BTW, 85% of PA students do not apply to another type of professional programs. Only about 2.5% apply to MD and 1.7% apply to DO as well.

2. In 2010 the DO GEM Match data from AACOM reported of the 3631 DO graduates

48% went to AOA (DO) sponsored residencies

43% went to NRMP (MD) sponsored residencies

6% went to military residencies

1% went to other programs, and 1% didnt match

Of those that applied to NMRP, 70% matched

3. The NRMP does put out a report with survey from all the residency directors in the 20 or so specialties. Typically, “school type” (DO/MD) is ranked about 15 of the top 20 factors in consideration of a candidate
  • jcolwell Said:
In my experience with my clients, it's not as common as is mentioned here. Less than 50% applying to both. FWIW.

Survey data indicates 67% of DO applicants also apply to MD. Looking at it from the other direction, about 20% of MD applicants also apply to DO school.

When the time comes, you can count me among the 20%. I think DO would be just as acceptable as MD. I know that there are some some residencies that frown on DO’s or don’t accept them at all, but that is a workable obstacle. And whether or not you subscribe to the “philosophy”, I think the manipulation therapy would be a cool tool to keep in the back pocket.

• CaptainObvious Said:
When the time comes, you can count me among the 20%. I think DO would be just as acceptable as MD. I know that there are some some residencies that frown on DO's or don't accept them at all, but that is a workable obstacle. And whether or not you subscribe to the "philosophy", I think the manipulation therapy would be a cool tool to keep in the back pocket.

Great opinion and open-mindedness I wish more people subscribed to!

This is just my opinion, but I applied both and I found that the DO schools were much more excited about me as a “nontraditional” candidate than the two MD schools that I interviewed at. As a matter of fact I got accepted to all 5 that I interviewed at and rejected and waitlisted by the MD schools. Now obviously my stats could have played a role in my success/failure, but one MD school basically told me that I wasn’t wanted because of my age and the other implied it.

While my expereince is anectdotel I always make sure top tell every applicant I see to apply both, b/c it only costs you time.

Hi there, applying to MD and DO at the same time is not uncommon. Also speaking from personal experience, my age (late 30s) was not a factor in my app process. I applied to 2 DO and 1 MD schools and got accepted to all 3. At no time during the whole process did I feel that my age was a concern to any of the schools, but admittedly it was a small sample size.

• gonnif Said:
Just a few thoughts:

1) 2010 survey by AACOM to all of the over 13,000 DO applicants specifically trying to get a picture of cross applications to MD, DO, and Off-shore schools, found 67% applied to both MD and DO. That would mean of about 8,900 of the 42,741 AMCAS applicants also applied via AACOMAS. So 20% MD applicants also applied to DO school.

Correction as the 67% includes those who applied to both US and Off Shore MD programs. About 59% of all DO applicants also applied to US MD programs, which would extrapolate to 7757 applicants of the 42741 total to AMCAS in 2010. That would translate (drum roll please) 18% of MD applicants also applied to DO school
  • BaileyPup Said:
...but one MD school basically told me that I wasn't wanted because of my age and the other implied it.

Talk about FUD...my God?!? My head is spinning now...ugh...

Thanks for all of the replies. I have decided to apply to both types of programs, because it certainly can’t hurt my chances. It has been interesting to read about your personal choices, as well. You guys are pretty awesome.

The very best doctors I have had personally, have consistently been DO’s. It is a small sample, I know, but it is what I know. I think I’d prefer to be a DO. But, proximity and all being what it is, I’ll take what I can get close by. I’ll be applying to both.