It is a scary thought.

Although I really want to be a doctor it is a scary thought that after I finish my undergrad( about in about 3-4 years I will be leaving behind a job with full medical benefits(even when retired), nice pension & annuity. I know if I have a true passion for medicine it should not really phase me but it does. When I become a doctor( family medicine) at about 46 will I be able to enjoy a nice retirement at 65 with only 20 years in? I mean that is a bit of a concern. How does health insurance work for my family?

Thanks

tiznow,

I can tell you that I have seen people start out saving for retirement much later in life than 46. Actually, people have been successful starting out at 55, but I wouldn’t recommend this approach though. Pensions and annuities are all different in some way or another. Without knowing much about your annuity or your pension, it would be hard to properly evaluate your unique situation, but I do know that there are many options available in regards to planning for retirement.

Health insurance can be purchased through private carriers and the graduate school i attended even offered us health benefits. Also, my dad is self-employed and he buys insurance through anthem for him and his wife.

I guess in short, you may want to consult an attorney who specializes in tax/estate planning. They will definitely have an answer to your first question. I have seen some attorneys work miracles for people. As to your second question, attorneys are often self-employed and therefore acquire their own insurance. (their ilk is rather risk adverse) Attorneys are usually well connected with insurance providers and would be able to point you in the right direction.

I know that this doesn’t contain any solid answers, but I hope this helps a little.

Zach

Thanks Zach!

Well, at least you are 46, not 54, like I am; so you ahead of the game. Yes, financial security is an all important consideration, as you well know. But, if you think you can score well on the MCATS, and you think you enjoy FP or IM, then go for it.

Do some reality checking; look at some cases histories, and read as much as you can.

For example, Border’s Books has a good section on family practice and Internal medicine.

Examine Harrison’s internal medicine text, 17th edition; any medical school book store will have it.

Furthermore, try ‘Clinical Pathology made Rediculously simple’, Barnes and Noble bookstore.

Goto a local library and examine NJMedicine, weekly case.

Best of luck.

Luke P Immes