Jumping Into The Cycle Late

So, Just got back my MCAT scores from 9/7 test and while it is not as bad as I had feared after walking out it is not near where I wanted to be. I was planning on applying MD/DO for the 2015 cycle but, I don’t think with my current score I can be competitive in MD. Therefore, I was thinking of putting together the AACOMAS for this cycle.

I have not requested my LORs yet so, I would say I wouldn’t be able to complete until December. Does anyone have any experience and/or thoughts on starting this late into the cycle?

Hi

my recommendation would be to wait. While numberwise, DO is less competitive than MD (although this didn’t apply to me personnally), timingwise everything is the same. Being late = lower chances.

I have heard too many stories with “I should have waited, retaken the MCAT and applied”, this is of course when one rushes in (worse when being late), and sees that it is not working out.

My opinion is to take your time and better your application to end up where you want to go.

Good luck.

Do not apply this cycle.

I could expand a lot but it is not a good idea. If you apply early next year you might have a shot at MD as well.

My advice: wait and apply during the 14-15 cycle.

I had a similarly late MCAT, still don’t have my LORs all together, but if I really wanted to, I could have made the November 1 deadlines for primary applications.

But then I thought, why am I going to frantically scurry around getting everything together, spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars, and submit crappy last minute LORs with a slim-to-nil chance of getting in?

I’m just going to be patient and have everything ready to go next May. With rolling admissions, the earlier you apply, the better chance you have. And I want to get in at my top choices, not my last resort schools. Just wait it out. I know I’ll be bummed I’m not starting school when next June rolls around, but it will be worth it when I get accepted at the school I really want to go to.

Don’t do it, man! Ask me how I know…

It makes no sense to apply this late in the cycle. Think of all the work you’ve done to get to this point. Why sabotage yourself by applying late and minimizing your chance of getting in? The better strategy is to start now to prepare the strongest application you can and to apply at the outset of the next cycle. Then at least you’ll know you’ve done everything possible to put your best foot forward and present your best self to the medical schools, which will maximize your chance of getting in. Good luck!

Best,

Liza