Just getting started at 35!!

I don’t think the question is can the OP’s schedule be done. The answer to that should be obvious, ANYONE with the right amount of dedication and hard work can do whatever they set their mind to. However, if anyone responing isn’t a parent with a husband and I make that distinction because premed/med school for Moms is NOT the same as it is for Dads, their point is irrelevant IMHO.

The question as I see it, is given the lifestyle of the OP, how realistic is the schedule she posted as far as earning mostly A’s and scoring >28 on the MCAT. Tow Moms (that I know of) have said this schedule isn’t realistic. It’s really as simple as that.

@Doc201X wrote:

I don’t think the question is can the OP’s schedule be done. The answer to that should be obvious, ANYONE with the right amount of dedication and hard work can do whatever they set their mind to. However, if anyone responing isn’t a parent with a husband and I make that distinction because premed/med school for Moms is NOT the same as it is for Dads, so their point is irrelevant IMHO.

The question as I see it, is given the lifestyle of the OP, how realistic is the schedule she posted as far as earning mostly A’s and scoring >28 on the MCAT. Tow Moms (that I know of) have said this schedule isn’t realistic. It’s really as simple as that.

We need an #applaud for this ^^

MCAT < 512 now (v 28… I think that is close: 512 = 28) … and the new one is a completely different beast than it was 2 months ago though TBT, it plays to my strengths …

I’m not here to start a flame war, but I am a mom. :slight_smile:

Will now attempt to change the subject – OP, for me, I thought it was really helpful to make sure my professors, my advisor, and my classmates knew what was up with my situation. I was surprised how amazingly supportive everyone was! My classmates emailed me notes whenever I couldn’t make it to class, professors let me take exams at times that worked for me, and no one looked askance whenever I ran out of the lecture hall to answer my cell phone. My awesome orgo labmate took on the bulk of our lab reports when my son got sick (but I made up for it the following semester when she had to focus her attention on the MCAT – her linkage program required a really high score, whereas mine didn’t). Having this support network (in addition to my spouse/family) was invaluable. But I don’t want to downplay how difficult and stressful the year was! The other posters espouse perfectly sane views, and many will agree with them. I know that many of my friends probably thought I was crazy… But sometimes the stars do align and crazy ends up working out. So just wanted to put that out there. :smiley:

Good luck!

For what it’s worth, I think your plan is doable. I knocked out my prereqs in a year going full-time. I took 33 hours worth of coursework over 3 semesters (including 1 summer). I was also working part-time, taking care of my daughter, and attending to a pregnant (and sick) wife. My son was born the weekend before finals of my last semester. I’m not saying it was easy, but I got it done (and with a 4.0).

If you think you can handle it, then go for it. The only suggestion I might make is to think about moving your MCAT up a month or two, and just trying to self-study for those topics you haven’t taken the coursework for yet. That way you’ll be ready to apply in August rather than September.

I just need to add a comment about the difference between this website and that other one.

IMHO, there’s NO comparison. I see this site for the 10+ years I’ve been on it, like family at Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone loves each other and is supportive. But the family also knows that Uncle Bubba (or whatever your crazy Uncle’s name is, come on now, we ALL have a crazy relative or two) is the one whose going to “show out” at Thanksgiving. EVERY FREAKIN" YEAR, ROTFL!!! But we accept each other as is, and keep things moving right along, no need for the kinda stuff that trademarks that other website. 'Cause at the end of the day, it just ain’t that deep! :smiley:

Not sure if that was aimed at me … if so, it was uncalled for.

Someone new wanted to be applauded… wanted validation. Her plan remains flawed. She was not happy with the response. I’m okay with that … don’t care.

At the end of the day - either she will fail like others who think they are all that and try to take on too much OR she will succeed. Either way, I don’t care.

And to flame on - I DO think she’d be better served on that other forum as they are all that and know-it-all and are just sooooo above the rest of us. With their shiny 4.0s and 38 MCAT scores (probably 4.0 and 522 now :wink: ) she’d fit in well for they don’t want advice either. They just want validation and glory.

@oldpremed wrote:

@Doc201x…if my family situation was not conducive for this I would not even attempt it and plus my family life will not change much by the time I get into Med school, so I better get ready for the crazy schedule now than try to adjust then

That’s just it oldpremed, premed/med school is NOT and will NEVER be condusive to “family life”.That’s just the way it is. Do people make it work? Certainly and this website proves that, but like I said before, a man going to med school with a family is NOT like a woman going to med school with a family. That can’t be emhasized enough and you won’t know what it’s like for YOU as a mother and wife until YOU get there. Everything else is just anectodal and from men, it just a moot point.

@Adoc2be, my post was meant for everyone on this site. But if you took it personal, that’s on YOU.

@oldpremed wrote:

BTW anyone know of good online lectures/videos on O.chem?

Check out http://www.freelance-teacher.com/videos.htm#ORGANICCHEMISTRY

He does a really good job of explaining OChem principles and has some really helpful handouts there as well. Other than him, some of the Khan Academy videos on OChem are pretty decent as well.

@bennard…Thanks for the infor. Will check him out.

I second the Khan Academy lectures.

Hi oldpremed -

I did the 1 year plan - but without biochem, and prior to needing psych and soc (though I had both back in 1975-80 when I was originally in undergrad). Glad you are repeating physics 1 - I 'd had the basic prereqs in bio and chem and 1 semester of orgo chem and physics, but again, MANY years ago and needed it fresh to take part 2.

Did the gen chem intensive during the summer - semester 1 and 2 with lab in 9 weeks. It was doable but I’d hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Very, very, very hard, grueling. All I did was study - no family to worry about - and get not enough sleep but did make it thru.

2nd semester (spring) I ended up postponing organic chem lab - at UVA it is a separate course with an incredible amount of work, so I did it in the summer while applying for med school. By the time I’d interviewed, I had a grade to add to my application. This left me some time 2nd semester to do a Kaplan MCAT review course, study for a week before summer semester started, take MCAT in May, and apply in June.

As all of us on here can attest, taking MCAT in August, and thus waiting till September, possibly October for scores will put you seriously behind in applications. I had my 4th interview by October, my 3rd acceptance (and the one I took), and dropped my other applications by the end of October. At schools with rolling admissions, the number of slots left dwindle rapidly and the competition for them increases so an application that would have gotten you in earlier in the cycle my not later on. IF you adjust your schedule to allow applying early the following year, that gives you the opportunity to loosen up your academic plan a little if needed. Think of it as a backup plan?

Best wishes - Kate

You say “35” like it was old or something…

:wink: