Just getting started on this journey

Hi all!!

I’m Hannah, 27 yrs old, from South Carolina.

I’m just getting started on this journey … completely my AS right now. I am taking my first college Biology class this Spring and really looking forward to it. I am still feeling my way around, trying to figure out if this is the right dream for me.

I currently work in Marketing at a large company and I love it, but I keep being pulled towards medicine (either psychiatry or surgery are pulling at me) and I don’t know if it’s right for me but I’m willing to give it a shot. I am taking the biology, am planning to take some chemistry and more math, and see where it takes me.

Anyone else in the (way) beginning of their journey??

HannahG.

Hey Hannah, yeah I’d say I’m still barely on the road since I haven’t taken any of my pre-med reqs yet and still at a CC. Best advice I can offer is volunteer at a hospital when you get the chance and see if you feel at home there. I noticed that feeling the first time I volunteered several weeks ago…that could be one way to see if it’s right for you!

I’m also just starting the process of going back to school with the hope of one day going to medical school. I’m almost finished with my clinical license in social work…and even though this is a health related profession I feel compelled to go back to school to become a doctor. I’m thinking along the lines of neurology or psychiatry.

I haven’t started taking classes yet…I’m currently working on putting together information to take with me when I meet with my pre-med advisor. My biggest concern is how to pay for the pre-med classes…anyone have any suggestions?

• nshiraev Said:
My biggest concern is how to pay for the pre-med classes...anyone have any suggestions?

nshiraev -

See my post (and for that matter the whole thread) here . It pretty well sums up the options out there.

Good luck.

Amy

Hello to the other new students out there. I too am beginning the journey of acquiring my pre-med classes. I have already earned a B.A. and M.A. (both in history) which basically means nothing with regards to the science courses I need. It feels great to have a fresh start so to speak with the hindsight knowledge of how to study. In the spring I’m taking Bio I, Basic Chemistry, re-taking Algebra (for review and to raise previous grade), and Nutrition. I anticipate this to be a good start for me. I have no chemistry background at all (liberal arts all the way) so I’m starting of with Basic Chemistry, and then plan on taking Gen Chem I in the summer, with Bio II, and then continue with Gen Chem II in the Fall. In essence, chemistry courses starting in January (minus the semester breaks) through December. Any reccomendations on taking Organic Chem I and Gen Chem II concurrently?

• HannahG Said:
Hi all!!

I'm Hannah, 27 yrs old, from South Carolina.

I'm just getting started on this journey ... completely my AS right now. I am taking my first college Biology class this Spring and really looking forward to it. I am still feeling my way around, trying to figure out if this is the right dream for me.

I currently work in Marketing at a large company and I love it, but I keep being pulled towards medicine (either psychiatry or surgery are pulling at me) and I don't know if it's right for me but I'm willing to give it a shot. I am taking the biology, am planning to take some chemistry and more math, and see where it takes me.

Anyone else in the (way) beginning of their journey??

HannahG.

You could say that Hannah...I do have a year of college down, in my third semester right now, but that's not too far along in the process. Good luck and study hard!