Just started the path...

This is simply an introduction, though any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

I decided to become a doctor. (surprise … surprise) I am older than most on here at 54. I worked as an VP Engineering (which was never a field I enjoyed - but it paid the bills) and put 5 kids through college - well, I still have one to go. I was a Volunteer Paramedic and Assitant Chief, Emergency Medical Services years ago and always wanted to get involved like that again at some point.

I thought about retirement and decided that what I really wanted to do in “retirement” was be a doctor, preferably in underserved areas or possibly even with services such as “Drs without Borders”.

That brings me here. I have poor grades from college 3 decades ago, great grades in a couple classes since (a maturity factor, I believe) and am taking Cell and Molecular Bio, Organic Chem and A&P in the over the next few semesters at local colleges. I am also studying every night for the past 3 months (Chem, Bio, Physics, etc). I plan on taking the first practice MCATS mid summer and one a month after that until next spring.

I honestly fear my biggest barrier will be the fact that I wont be entering a Med school until I am AT LEAST 55 or 56. But I have no intention on retiring at 65, 70, or???

I stumbled across this site and it looked like the type of support group I would like to be part of.

So, thats me. Wish me luck.

Thomeng

well welcome among us. I wish you the best. If this is what you want then you should do your best and try your hardest. History shows that this is possible.

Please keep us posted as we always like to hear about the adventures of members here. Yours will sure be interesting to follow.

Good luck.

Welcome! I’m 53 now and starting med school in the fall. One of the most encouraging things to me about this site was finding out I was not the oldest person on it…and neither are you! I would focus on doing the prereqs well and in a short time frame, and doing whatever you can to maintain and/or maximize your health to deal with the future rigors of med school/residency. Hope to hear more from you as you progress!

Kate

Hello Thomeng and welcome to the forum.

I am 54 (nearing my birthday very quickly), and am completing 3rd year of medical school.

Your background has similarities with mine, so I thought I would chime in to encourage you.

Since you’ve been studying for a while, you’ve probably already realized that the preparation for, and medical school itself will be quite a ‘ride’ !! Are you doing your prepration work full-time? I chose to do mine full-time, as a way to measure my ability to hack a full course load. To be fair though, doing pre-reqs full time represents a risk of not doing as well and so getting sub-optimal grades for the application process.

I am now in the middle of my clinical rotations, this month being pediatrics. Truth be told, though the hours are long and my old bones are very tired by the time I get home in the evening, I have to admit that doing the post-natal physical exam of several newborns this week was quite a thrill.

I wish you luck!

Regards

Ron

I know I’m not bringing anything to the table here, but I just had to…

"what I really wanted to do in “retirement” was be a doctor, preferably in underserved areas or possibly even with services such as “Drs without Borders” <— These were my thoughts, too

I will be 39 in June and am considering applying to med school. Currently, I live with my family in Latin America. Since I already have a degree, getting into med school here is very easy. There are no science prereqs. I simply plan on re-taking bio, phys, chem etc. my first year of med school. I’m just wondering if studying in a non-US/non-Canadian med school will be worth it. I, like thomeng, really want to work in Family Medicine (or psych. can’t decide just yet) in an underserved/rural area.

Does anyone have advice?

“I’m just wondering if studying in a non-US/non-Canadian med school will be worth it”

Worth what? If it is helping the poor and underserved in rural areas, you will be in the perfect spot!

I apologize for not being more specific. I meant that I would to work in an underserved/rural area in the United States. I definitely know that I will be able to do a lot of good here. But, I would like to be able to practice in both countries. And, it sounds as though the path to practice in the U.S. is next to impossible for an international medical graduate.

Thanks so much for your input.

• In reply to:
And, it sounds as though the path to practice in the U.S. is next to impossible for an international medical graduate.

Far from it. More difficult, maybe, but certainly not next to impossible. There are hundreds (maybe more) of IMGs each year who successfully find residency positions in the US. It is certainly more difficult to find residency positions in highly desirable specialties and locations, but again, not impossible.

Both family medicine and psych both are typically very amenable to IMGs as there simply aren't enough US grads to fill all the spots. In fact, many family medicine residencies have more FMGs than US grads.

Beyond that, I don't know the details of applying for a residency as an international grad. I do know that you will have to take the USMLE (likely all three steps). Some programs require a certain number of clinical rotations in the US. If you are not a US citizen, you will need to be eligible for a visa. Some residencies will help you with that process.

Thank you for your very helpful answer.

I’m a US citizen so at least I won’t have to worry about visa issues.

I’ve been doing a little more research, and I think that getting USCE may be like getting a residency… difficult but not impossible. Anyway, I think that discussion may belong to another thread.

Thanks for the advice, and I look forward to reading and contributing here.

Best