Just starting out - what to choose for undergrad?

Hi everyone! I’m new here but am so glad that I found this site some weeks back. For some reason I thought that at the age of 33 medical school was an impossibility. But now I see that is definitely not the case. But I’m looking for some advice. I do not yet have an undergraduate degree! I have been a medical coder and auditor for 12 years and have owned my own business for the past 5 years. College was not an option when I graduated high school (top 2% of my class). I had to enter the work force, and I’ve worked in hospitals ever since. I’m determined to make it into medical school. I need advice on what undergrad to pursue. Other forums that I’ve seen disuade from choosing a pre-med degree because it’s useless if you don’t get into medical school; however, those were sites geared toward younger persons. Would that advice still apply to “old” applicants? My goal is to get into medical school and I don’t want to waste any more time than is necessary. So to meet all the prereqs, would pre-med be the best option so I don’t risk having to take additional classes beyond what another degree requires? Or should I pick another major? I’m currently enrolled in biotechnology at a CC which will transfer to a molecular biology major at a nice state university (where I would take the bulk of my prereq sciences). But I’m wondering if I should change. The mol bio major involves A LOT of sciences, which I am very excited about and interested in but which go above and beyond the necessary prereqs, so would that just take up more time than is needed? I work full time currently, but will be cutting back my schedule to accommodate university class schedules. I’m open to suggestions!

You might want to read the academic requirements of the various medical schools you would be interested in, because not all of them require a Bachelor’s degree. Some schools require a certain number of credits, 90 for example, and certain science courses, but not the actual degree. Each school is a little different. Everything I have read says that you should major in something that is the most interesting to you and that you can do well in since grades are important. So your actual major isn’t as important as getting the right courses in and doing a great job in them.

Good luck and welcome!

Major in something you love. It is really the best way. If the major you choose allows you to fit in some more advanced biology classes, that’s awesome, but don’t choose a major just for that. Many schools do not have a specific “pre-med” major, and many majors probably have enough elective space that you can squeeze in the pre-reqs.

I would also add, don’t count on admission before completing the bachelor’s, even with those schools that allow it. The rest of your package has to be pretty stinkin’ outstanding for that to fly.

• adriennemarie Said:
You might want to read the academic requirements of the various medical schools you would be interested in, because not all of them require a Bachelor's degree. Some schools require a certain number of credits, 90 for example, and certain science courses, but not the actual degree.

In many cases, schools that indicate they're open to someone who has earned 90 credits toward a degree, but not the actual bachelor's degree, are putting this in as a "loophole" for their BA/MD program candidates.... where people enter the MD program after three years of college. NO ONE should expect that they can enter medical school without a bachelor's degree - it has been done, and I do recall encountering one OPM who was able to do it, but as Denise said, it is extraordinary and rare. It should not be part of anyone's plan for approaching med school.

Major in whatever will help you enjoy school the most. If you've always wanted to have the time to study dance or art, you can do that. I had classmates who were music majors, classics majors, history majors..... etc. etc. etc.

Mary