just starting out

hello to everyone! i’m hoping i’m not alone in this one – i’m just starting school, for the first time. i’ve only attened a massage therapy school previously. i’m getting all my paperwork together to enroll in the local cc to get my remidial credits, it’s been a while and my hs wasn’t the best for learning. i’m a stay at home mom of an infant. anyway, i would love to hear from others who may be in my situation.

Quote:

hello to everyone! i’m hoping i’m not alone in this one – i’m just starting school, for the first time. i’ve only attened a massage therapy school previously. i’m getting all my paperwork together to enroll in the local cc to get my remidial credits, it’s been a while and my hs wasn’t the best for learning. i’m a stay at home mom of an infant. anyway, i would love to hear from others who may be in my situation.

Hi Dotia,
Welcome to OldPremeds.org! You’re not alone, believe me. I’m not actually a stay at home mom with an infant, but my wife is…
Just take things slow until you find your tempo; don’t plunge into courses that might be too much to handle; the grades can’t be erased. That was my mistake so best thing is to start in the shallow end of the pool and work your way toward the deep end. CC courses are no longer accepted by many medical schools, but if you have a specific one in mind you might contact them to be sure. That said, starting at a CC and then moving to a regular four year university once you’re comfortable with the scientific material is not a bad way to go if you can afford the time and expense.
By the way I’m enrolled in a year-and-a-half massage therapy program right now. Did you have to memorize 600 muscles, origins, insertions and actions, and 200+ bones and boney landmarks? Could come in handy when you get to MS-1 gross anatomy class. Besides, massage therapy rocks!
Good luck,

Quote:

CC courses are no longer accepted by many medical schools, but if you have a specific one in mind you might contact them to be sure. That said, starting at a CC and then moving to a regular four year university once you’re comfortable with the scientific material is not a bad way to go if you can afford the time and expense.

What med schools don’t accept CC classes (assuming they are accredited)? I find that hard to believe. If it is true, the med school isn’t worth going to. I know Harvard accepts them, I have received recruiting materials from them. If they do, I would wonder why anyone else feels so pious that they don’t have to fulfill their accreditation agreements.

Quote:

Quote:

CC courses are no longer accepted by many medical schools, but if you have a specific one in mind you might contact them to be sure. That said, starting at a CC and then moving to a regular four year university once you’re comfortable with the scientific material is not a bad way to go if you can afford the time and expense.

What med schools don’t accept CC classes (assuming they are accredited)? I find that hard to believe. If it is true, the med school isn’t worth going to. I know Harvard accepts them, I have received recruiting materials from them. If they do, I would wonder why anyone else feels so pious that they don’t have to fulfill their accreditation agreements.

I am going to change my statement to “CC courses are not looked upon as favorably as 4 year university courses by many medical schools”, which paraphrases Judy Colwell, a Stanford admissions person who posts frequently here. A google search reveals that there are some medical schools that specifically frown on CC course work and others that limit acceptable CC credits to 65. U of V appears not to accept CC credits, for example, while U of Mississippi accepts up to 65 CC credits. Harvard doesn’t say in their online information.
The bottom line is that you will have a more competitive application with non-CC courses. The Search function is your friend; there have been many discussions about this topic in the past and I urge those who are concerned about this issue to read up on it.
Good luck,

I’m kinda in the same boat. Minus the stay at home and mom part. I believe in my heart that if you want something bad enough you can have it. I also believe it’s not just enough to want it. I believe that you have to set out with the end in mind. Then you have to pour your heart and soul into the project until you obtain your goal. I don’t claim to be an expert on the med-school admissions process. I do however claim to be somewhat of an expert on getting what I want.
What I understand from the feedback out here is some schools are ok with CC, some aren’t. I equate that to what I tell my sales folks, “Some will, some won’t, so what…next!” So I say we do our best, work our butts off, and grow from the experience. Then when the time comes to apply for med-school we apply to the ones we feel are the best fit for us. Then some will send us letters telling us to get lost, some will want a little more information and maybe, just maybe some will think that we’re a good fit for them too and offer us the chance to become Dr’s.

Dotia,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on beginning your college career!
While you are not taking the traditional route, rest assured that you have many advantages as a nontraditional student. Probably the best of all is the maturity to take your school work seriously. And, of course, you have the added benefit of being able to focus on school without having to go through that developmental phase that the “kids” are still having to go through.
On the flip side, it’s probably been awhile since you’ve had to do any real studying, so that may take some time to get adjusted to again. Terry had some excellent advice regarding getting back into it.
I also think Terry made an excellent point about starting out with CC classes and then moving over to a university if that option is open to you. Although medical schools may say they accept CC courses, you want to put yourself in the best position to gain acceptance. Medical schools also say they don’t have an MCAT cutoff, but…
Good luck to you in your adventure! Please visit the forums often. If you have questions, do a search or post them. If you are having a bad day and need some support, let us know and you’ll get it here! If something funny happens to you, share it with us–we love to laugh!
Larry

SIU, U of I, Loyola, and MCW are ok with CC courses. I contacted the Illinois schools, and I know someone admitted to MCW who took CC courses (science). It would probably help to have a good MCAT score, too. I am meeting with the Director of Admissions at Pritzker on Tuesday (I had a great contact!) to have him take a look at my “package” (no, not THAT) and give me some advice.
Since I already have a B.S., M.S., and 60+ postgrad credits + research/clinical experience I am taking my pre-reqs at a CC. Partly because they are offered at night (bonus since I have my own business) and partly because they are cheap (paying off credit card debt and wedding costs).
I’ll let you know what Pritzker has to say about CC credits. I think for the most part, if you’re looking at a state school or one considered “lower tier” (not in the top 25), then CC credits are probably gonna be ok, but your background in handing upper-level or grad credits will also be a factor, too.
You’re better off asking the schools you want to apply to directly and get it from the horses’ mouth. All we can do here is speculate and then give examples of both pro/con, which in the end doesn’t really help.

One thing to take into consideration regarding community college coursework…while some med schools may accept these units for fulfilling pre-med requirements consider this scenario: there are two equally qualified applicants, one has the requirements met by going to a 4 year institution and one who has met the reqs at a community college. If you were on the admissions committee, which applicant would you likely give the nod to? There are so many schools which either discourage cc pre-req courses or outright won’t accept them that it doesn’t make sense to limit your potential admission choices if there is any way to take your science coursework at a four year school.
Cheers,
Judy

Quote:

One thing to take into consideration regarding community college coursework…while some med schools may accept these units for fulfilling pre-med requirements consider this scenario: there are two equally qualified applicants, one has the requirements met by going to a 4 year institution and one who has met the reqs at a community college. If you were on the admissions committee, which applicant would you likely give the nod to? There are so many schools which either discourage cc pre-req courses or outright won’t accept them that it doesn’t make sense to limit your potential admission choices if there is any way to take your science coursework at a four year school.

I would pick the one with CC credits. Of course, I am not as conceited and short sighted as adcomm people tend to be. I look at the fact that it is the SAME THING but cheaper. Possibly even better because of smaller class size. I think a candidate that goes to a CC is SMARTER than one who goes to a big university for the same thing. It shows initiative, adaptability, a cost concious attitude, self confidence, and many other positive qualities.

Quote:

I would pick the one with CC credits. Of course, I am not as conceited and short sighted as adcomm people tend to be. I look at the fact that it is the SAME THING but cheaper. Possibly even better because of smaller class size. I think a candidate that goes to a CC is SMARTER than one who goes to a big university for the same thing. It shows initiative, adaptability, a cost concious attitude, self confidence, and many other positive qualities.

First, welcome to OldPreMeds. As you have already discovered there is a wealth of information, experience & support to be found in our electronic family.
Regarding yout comments on CCs vs 4yr schools: I have to say it, but I think that while on the surface your arguments may make sense - the reality is that your assertions do not bear out. The fact is, at the overwhelming majority of CCs, the courses are not nearly as rigorous as those at a 4yr school. Yes, there are exceptions (exceptional CCs & weaker 4yr programs); however, those are very rare.
During my Ugrad, for expedience & other reasons, I took my Phys 1 & 2 sequence at a CC in Dallas - the courses were a total joke! The professor was one of the nicest guys & actually a pretty darned good teacher - he was passionate in effort to educate. But, the threshold for admission, the students in that CC and the expectations of the school were just so low vs UTDallas, where my degree is from, that it was really not worth the effort to attend. Despite this professor literally bending over backwards - to the point of supplying formula sheets for exams, not teaching in vectors (because the recent HS grads could not do enough trig to resolve a vector) and essentially giving the lab points away, more than 2/3rds of the class dropped/failed. It was appalling.
I’m sure your next question is “why did I take Phys 1&2 there?” I was naively convinced that being too old to apply would nix my app; so I rushed thru Ugrad & did a heavy, 4.5yr degree in 3 years by taking 20~24 hrs/term. And, my Ugrad did not off a non-calculus based physics. I met w/ the Chair of Physics and he told me outright, “Son, don’t kill yourself taking our physics. It is intended for future Ph.D.s, engineers & comp sci majors & not pre-meds. Do yourself a favor, relax & take physics at a CC because your grades here [UTD] are awesome & having a couple of CC courses on your transcript will not kill your application with all of the other strengths you have”.
I took his advice & do not regret it. I concede my story is a study w/ n = 1; however, the point is - CC courses will not kill your app. But, the more CC courses there are, ESPECIALLY if there are weaker grades from the CC, the more scrutiny your application will undergo.
Furthermore, like it or not (and it has nothing to w/ stuffiness or arrogance on the part of the AdComs), CC courses are simply not as rigorous and too many of them can diminish your chances for admission to medical school.
If you have a situation where a CC is all you can afford or the only thing w/i a reasonable commute, then, in your personal statement, you can defend that decision. I doubt you would be penalized too much for that. However, irregardless of the rationale behind chosing to attend a CC, the expected cumGPA will be higher to be viewed as “equivalent” to that rec’d from a 4 year school.
Regarding class size - try to find a smaller stat school. That will both minimize class size & have the benefit of lower tuition vs a private school. One of the many reasons I attended UTDallas - smaller, state school.
I wish you the best, but I have to strongly disagree with your assertions regarding CCs.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am going to change my statement to “CC courses are not looked upon as favorably as 4 year university courses by many medical schools”, which paraphrases Judy Colwell, a Stanford admissions person who posts frequently here. A google search reveals that there are some medical schools that specifically frown on CC course work and others that limit acceptable CC credits to 65. U of V appears not to accept CC credits, for example, while U of Mississippi accepts up to 65 CC credits. Harvard doesn’t say in their online information.

The bottom line is that you will have a more competitive application with non-CC courses. The Search function is your friend; there have been many discussions about this topic in the past and I urge those who are concerned about this issue to read up on it.

Good luck,

Welcome to OPM!

Whats interesting since most 4 yr universities will not accept more than about 60 to 65 cc credits for transfer anyway towards a degree. I think Taking freshman courses like English, Soc, Psych, Chem 1, intro to bio, ect, would have a small impact on the Add coms, if you took higher level courses, the higher level Sci courses at the Uni. Lets be fair with cc they have their place and are fine for most people but I would be careful in planning and remember that doing well is most important.

community college or university…wouldn’t the schools know that you did learn just as much as other students who attended a 4 yr based off of your MCAT score? The prereqs learnded at a cc should be reflected in your score? right?

Time to trot out one of my famous quotes (she said modestly) - those who’ve been on OPM for awhile will remember this one:
"It’s their game, their ball, their rules."
While one person’s CC experience may be great, and s/he may get a lot out of the course, etc. etc. etc. - I’m not doubting any of those assertions - the truth remains that the applicant is not the one who controls the perceptions of the admissions committee. There are an awful lot of CCs out there - the admissions committee is NOT going to bother to find out which ones are good, bad or mediocre. They will note MCAT scores, yes - but as Judy said, if all things are equal, at least some of the AdComs are going to favor the credits from a four-year school.
This may not be fair or right but frankly that’s not up to you or me to determine. If it’s how AdComs work, then it seems to me that it’s smart to play things their way if at all possible.
Keep in mind that there are a million permutations of this question and in SOME scenarios some CC credits are certainly going to be OK. For example, someone who’s got a lot of four-year science credits can get away with some CC science credits. But for someone who’s just starting out - I guess if I were on an AdCom, my question would be, "You have to switch to a 4-year school and take courses there at some point, why aren’t you taking your prereqs there?"
It is the height of hubris to think that you can dictate what an AdCom thinks. Again - their game, their ball, their rules. One applicant can make a choice to be unconventional but s/he needs to know that the choice has the potential consequence of making a negative impression.
Mary

I posted that last bit before reading the rest of the board and finding out that I’m considered a Deity. Wow!
Anyway if I came off all know-it-all and pompous that certainly wasn’t my intent. I came up with the “their ball…” comment several years ago when I was struggling with the admissions process and found it oddly comforting, myself. Clearly some people find it pretty darn annoying and I can appreciate that vantage point - it’s just that I don’t think it helps.
And when it comes down to it, I hope that I’m providing an experienced viewpoint that might help someone.
Peace out,
Mary