Late Night Thoughts

Last night as I was lying in bed (under my warm down comforter- it’s getting cold here!), I was thinking about the course of my life over the next 10 years.

I figure it will be about 10 years, give or take a couple, till I’m out there practicing medicine as an attending. Almost a year till med school begins, then 4 years of school, 3-5 years of residency…that’s 10 years!

Gosh, in 10 years, my son will be 17! My daughter will be 11! They’ll be so big! And I will be 42!

Then I chuckled to myself as I realized that even if I didn’t go to school and do a residency, they’ll still be 17 and 11 in 10 years. And I’ll still be 42.

Silly me.

Quote:

Then I chuckled to myself as I realized that even if I didn’t go to school and do a residency, they’ll still be 17 and 11 in 10 years. And I’ll still be 42.

And unless you did something you’d still be wondering “what if?
Craig

Gosh,
I wish I could have said that when I was less than 42.
Oh well.

It’s funny the things that we think about late at night… I’m sitting here contemplating the future… reminding myself of how tired I am and how much more studying I need to do before my next final. sigh
If you had asked me 10 years ago if I were to be here, I wouldn’t have had a clue… not even 1/2 of a clue… and I’m sure I don’t have a clue now where I’ll be in 10 years from now… scary and exciting to consider. I only hope my current direction has some realization… going blindly into the night is so much more scary than having a flashlight.
Here’s to 10 years and what it will do for you…
Incidentally, in 10 years my kids will be 16 and 14, I’ll be 40, and who knows where I will be or what I’ll be doing.
Andrea

Selina,
I read your post today and, when thinking of my situation, it really helped. Its Friday afternoon here and no letters came in the mail. That pretty much means UAMS and most of the Texas schools are a no-go for me this year. (I called them all last week about interviews) This post reminds me to really look at the long term picture. I may not be happy at what seems to be unfolding at the moment, but I already have plans A,B,and C, and quitting is not an option. I will be 50 rather than 41 when I practice, but as you said, I will be there someday anyway. Thanks.
Kathy in Richardson

Any time, Kathy!