LECOM-Bradenton

Welcome Andrea!

Our first year of anatomy was brutal (we got over 300 slides in just one day), and I was thankful that we did not have to waste our time cutting through fat to find nerves and…Instead we used the bodies as confirmation of what we were learning, and I think it worked out great. You will be learning anatomy throughout your tour of duty. Your class has been modified greatly by our input, so I hope things are working out better for all of you.

So far, second year is better, much better. It seems we have a bit more time to study the real issues, PBL is great and we all can tell that we are now acting like doctors (listing good differentials, asking for the correct lab reports and knowing why and what to expect on them…) which you will be close to by the end of your first year. MSI is hard, and the first 13 weeks are the worst. Survive both and you got it made.

Good luck and hope to see you around.

Barry

Thanks Barry!
I made it through another week, and another Anatomy test. Everyone complained about the first part of the test, as did I… and there were mixed reviews about the second part. I am a bit nervous about the whole thing. I’m guessing I’ll have my grade back soon enough.
Things have been extremely stressful. You can tell the MS1s from the MS2s at our school… the MS1s are blood-shot eyes, big bags, black circles, hunched backs…the MS2s laugh at us… even point in the halls… it’s horrible…
the lady I’m staying with is an MS2… her schedule is so easy compared to mine… I just can’t believe it. Ours lets up dramatically after Anatomy is over.
Our house is scheduled to close (the one we’re selling) on Tuesday. I will be so relieved, but also a little bit sad. The whole situation with the rest of my family has also been very difficult - my husband and children up in NC with me in FL and him trying to pack up the remaining house stuff and get moved out before Tuesday. I did a lot before I left, but there still was a lot to do. We had to rent 2 storage units (and that might not be enough space) to hold a huge housefull of stuff…
We still haven’t found a house here yet. We’ve spent lots of time looking… but as soon as we find something either it gets sold or for some reason we can’t bring ourselves to do anything about it (write the contract). A lot of it has been not knowing what was going on with our house(we just FINALLY got all that stuff squared away - we think last weekend). Once that is out of the way it will be a lot easier to focus on finding something here and getting the whole family back together in one place. I will be glad when that happens… There’ve been several times recently that I’ve felt like either I’d never see them again… or something like that… It may seem silly…but since starting to see some Halloween stuff out in the stores I thought there’s NO WAY I can miss Halloween with my kids and trick or treating. I’m going to miss my youngest son’s 6th birthday and I can’t even begin to say how much I HATE that. I will probably spend some time this weekend trying to find some special birthday presents. I will get to see my boys for the first time since I came down here next weekend over the Labor Day holiday… I can’t believe that it will have been 5 weeks since I’ve seen them… hard to believe coming from someone who a little over a year ago hadn’t even spent the night away from her kids… I don’t like it at all…
There’ve been many times over the last couple of weeks that I’ve regretted coming here… not necessarily my choice to do what I’m doing… although me actually being a “doctor” seems awfully distant at this point from being a reality. I keep thinking about all the family trauma/drama that’s gone on during the last few weeks… and how my kids must feel since I’ve basically left them and don’t get to see/talk to them every day. The move… the house search… the selling of our house (which has NOT been a pleasant experience)… just everything… I wish that it would be/have been much less difficult. I never expected it to be easy… but I didn’t expect it to be this hard.
I could probably go on about the social ills of my environment and other random things… but I won’t… because it’s late.
To all a good night,
Andrea

Hang in there Andrea, it will get better. In terms of buying a house down here, you’re right - they move fast and the prices are just carzy. I’ve had three agents so far, and it was the third one that was the charm. I fired my last one after I found two houses in one of the mags that she did not show me. So I called the agent in the advertisment and the next day she showed me I think 7 houses, 4 of which I could have bought, one which I did - a 4 bedroom with a pool. She understood my time issues as a medical student and was there for me through the entire thing. Try giving her a call. Her name is Gina at ReMax at 941-725-4462.
Being away from family is hard, and last year was pretty bad for me. My dad passed away during our break to name just one of about six adult things weighing on me that the kids (errr… my classmates) don’t even have to think about. My boys are older, the youngest just dropped out of college and joined the Navy, not sure if I could have done this if they were younger - hats off to you, and again, it will all come together, hang in there and have faith that it will.
Barry

Hi Andrea … each time I read about your housing situation I wonder why you are looking to purchase a home in FL (vs renting)? I’m on the east coast — near the space center — and am planning to sell my home once I get accepted to a med school! (now THAT’S positive thinking) My reason is that once I become a Dr, I probably wouln’t ever return to Brevard county. It’s just too slow for me (even though I’ve been here most of my life). Plus, I’m a little tired of the hurricane situation (not so much the evacuations - but more the affect it has on the economy s.a. building restrictions, insurance headaches, etc.). So, if you have a minute, please tell of your anticipated future in FL! Maybe it’ll give me another view on the attraction of the area … though the area you are in is a bit more “active”

Andrea,
I feel for you w/your housing situation. Having recently sold my house after two years (one of sitting empty costing me $$$$ each month), I can’t tell you what a relief it is to finally sign all the paperwork that makes it official. Best of luck.
I hope you are able to find a house soon so that your husband and children can join you.

Real estate in this area goes up about 30-40% per year - enough to pay for medical school.

Quote:

Real estate in this area goes up about 30-40% per year - enough to pay for medical school.

well while that is true, banking on it, is incredibly risky. I would count on 5% and be happy with it. Then IF the big increase hits, be happier. This bubble could blow up in your face if you feel like making a killing. Ain’t gonna last long folks.

I don’t know that I’ve ever been more unhappy in my entire life… for the last couple of weeks I’ve been seriously rethinking my choice to do this… it’s because of a number of reasons…
It’s not so much that I doubt my abilities… although it’s been very difficult and I could, frankly, be doing better… I just don’t know if this is what I should be doing anymore…
A big part of me really wishes that I could “quit” and let it go… and I think the only reason that I haven’t yet is a combination of the fact that people would never let me live it down… and I’ve already forced so much misery on myself and my family that I ought to carry it through just because of that…
I did sell my house… it closed a week ago… so thankfully that aspect of it is done… but we had to come up with a lot of money just to be rid of it… and so much sacrifice… I really don’t think it’s worth it at this point… maybe that will change… I don’t know…
I spent the weekend in NC with my husband and kids… and coming back to this pit from hell was more than I could handle… can you tell I’m not having “fun”…?
I’m not really sure how to come to grips with my feelings about all of this… or how to act on what I"m feeling… maybe it’s because I’m away from my family… maybe it’s because they’re compressing 2+ years of anatomy into 10 weeks and this is week 6… maybe it’s because I really just want some “peace and quiet” for a few days with no studying… I don’t know… but it’s pretty much taken it’s toll on me…

Andrea,
First off, don’t give up! Is there a counselor there at LECOM-Bradenton that you could go and talk to? If not, there must surely be an advisor or someone you’ve become friends with.
Remember, the first weeks of med school are tough on anyone. Add to that anatomy compressed into 10 weeks, and I’m sure you’re not alone in being unhappy.
Then there’s missing your kids and husband. That will come to an end shortly when you are all back together again. As to losing money on the sale of your home, I know what you’re feeling there. We lost a lot when we moved to West Virginia from Missouri simply because our house was only two years old and there’s no way you can turn around and sell a house after only two years. But, that doesn’t seem anywhere near so important now.
I have a feeling that this is something you truly wanted or you wouldn’t have begun it. Stick with it long enough to get through anatomy and then come up for air and see if the picture isn’t improving.
Then if you decide it really wasn’t the right choice, talk it over with your husband and counselors. Try to be sure you aren’t just feeling the pain of your first semester.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Yup, this the feelings of many many first years during those first few weeks/months and it does get better! hang in there Andrea! I also remember why in the hell did I do this? [censored] sometimes I still do when times get stressful and it is one more thing/exam/issue/etc, so do not think that you are the only one. Also, being away from your loved ones is very hard and you just hang in there girl!

Hi Andrea,
Almost every first year feels like throwing in the towel about now primarily because of the hectic pace and the feeling that there is “no end in sight”. When you are done with Gross Anatomy, you are probably going to feel a bit better about the academic processes.
As for missing your family: every time I go on vacation and spend time at home, it seems to make getting back to work that much harder. I long for a day that I can just sleep in and play with the dogs all day. It’s a natural feeling with you have a fast-paced lifestyle i.e medical school. As you make more of an adjustment, you will become more comfortable with just getting the job done. I don’t think you can even stop missing your family though . It is tough that they are not with you.
As others have said, “Hang in there” a bit longer. If this turns out not to be for you, then make sure that you have really explored every option that would help you make the best decision. Deans, counselors and your husband should all help you with your decision-making. Needless to say, this is tough but time does make this easier.
Good luck and feel free to post your frustrations and feelings. Those of us who have gone through it are here to support you in any way that you need.
Natalie

Andrea,
I can not relate to what you’re going thru. I have not been thru medical school nor the entire gamut of stuff you are dealing with. I can say that I’ve met physicians like you who during medical school were unsure of their decision. Somewhere in the second year they decided they did not want to be doctors anymore however they went ahead and finished medical school. They are not practising physicians…1 is in computers and the other is in real estate. However they pressed on…and is what they recommended to me when the time comes.
They assure me that I will question my decision on countless occassions but stay the course. I know my words mean very little but I’m just the messenger. I’m sure you’ll do what’s best for you and yours. I have been deployed away from family to “training” just a few states away, with a wife that was about to be hospitalized, mother that was just mugged, and no replacement on the team I was with so I could return. I had to dive into my work. It doesn’t take the pain of seperation away but it helps to numb it a bit.
Hang in there.

Just 4 more weeks and the worst of it is over. Your anatomy is much better than what we had, but I still feel for you. As everyone says - don’t give up. I too was in, and still am in the same situation as you. My entire family is still up north, and doing things with the kids down here can get, while, kinda kidish, if you know what I mean. Sometimes you just need an adult to talk to. Many times I felt like giving up, and I’m so happy that I did not. Your second semester will be hard, but much better than what it is now. Your third semester, as an MSII will be even better as things start to stick. Hang in there girl and give me a yell if you need to talk - I’m the old fart in the school, aka: gramps. Oh, bth, I’ve just been told that, for the second time, I will be a grand dad again! Ya, it would be nice to be back, put you have to pull through - you can do it.

Andrea, hang in there. I do think that in some ways it’ll be harder once your family IS there - because you’re going to feel pulled in two very different directions. On the other hand you’re going to once again feel grounded and more like yourself. Right now it’s like you’re living in some sort of dream and you’ve decided it’s um, kind of a nightmare. Get your kids back near you, which I hope will happen soon, and you’ll again realize that while you are going to be working very hard, medicine is a job that you work hard for, it’s NOT your life.
Hugs to you - I feel for you without your kids nearby!
Mary
who got kinda teary-eyed this morning as I congratulated a new mom on her second son and thought about my own two boys when they were little - all of this because my 23-year-old went back to Texas yesterday!!!

when I was at this point last year, one of my faculty members told me: “KEEP WORKING! Do not give up!” You will find that you can learn vast amounts of stuff in less time than you think. And, once you figure out how things work, life will not suck so badly. It’s the transition, I think, that is the most difficult part.

Hey Andrea!

Hang in there! I know how you are feeling right now–I have been having a lot of the same doubts as you. Our professors have just been POURING assignments on us. We are supposed to be done at 1pm each day, so that we can go home and study, but every afternoon there is one required meeting or another it seems. There isn’t time to do nearly ANY of the assigned reading. And we have quiz after quiz… Also, I am just extremely worn out and tired most of the time, due to our highly regimented, never ending, early morning schedule of labs, problems set sessions, lectures, journal club, PBL… It’s way too much!!! Maybe one day I will get used to this, but for right now, having to concentrate all morning long, when I have gotten very little sleep, is not working very well at all.

I also really miss my family and friends back in Minnesota. I knew I would miss them, but I wasn’t really ready for how homesick I would feel here. Sometimes the whole New York-centric culture really gets on my nerves and I wish I had stayed in the midwest. Luckily I rigged up Minnesota Public Radio to play in my room, but then I just wonder if I’m isolating myself… It still isn’t the same as having my friends or family here. My classmates spend tons of time together and are all bonding and making friends, and I’ve participated in quite a bit of it too–but I feel like I can only throw myself into the 23-year old way of socializing and partying so much! The “older” students are harder to get to know because they mostly live off campus and have families. I haven’t found any kind of niche yet. I also wonder if I have made a mistake by picking a PBL-heavy school, which at least at this point I am not liking as much as I thought I would.

Hopefully this frustration is just normal for us at this point! Anyway, you are not the only one! But I do I hope things are improving for you–and let us know how it’s going!

Andrea,
Stick with it. Only 3 weeks into anatomy and I know how you feel about just wanting some time to do nothing. This is the first time I have taken time to check OPM in about a week.
Hopefully, having your family near you will make things better for you. Please talk to someone at your school if you feel like you are struggling. We were told over and over during orientation that there were people there to help us, and not to hesitate.
Take Care -
Amy

well today confirmed it… I’m on my own… they don’t really care about me… just how high my grades are… I’ve scored poorly on ONE test (out of 4 - with 2 remaining) and had to go in front of the firing squad today… It was largely unpleasant. I would think/hope that if someone appeared to be having difficulty - in any form - academic or otherwise, that the faculty would try to help - not make the situation worse. I guess that’s a pretty naiive assumption on my part.
I digress…
I told my husband that tonight was the last time I’d go out looking at houses… $10 says that he’ll try to get me out there again… even though I’ve told him it’s too much of a distraction and takes too much of my time.
I have 2-3 immediate goals. Perform well on the next anatomy test (or withdraw from the school), get settled on a house, and get my kids here… these goals haven’t changed… been the same goals since I got here 7 weeks ago. I just wish that I could accomplish them sooner rather than later, or they were complete already. I also wish my husband would cooperate and try to work towards a mutual goal… but that might be asking too much…
that’s all from me. :wink:

Andrea,

You definitely aren’t alone. Can you try to find some students in the second year class to give you advice and better support than what you’re getting from the faculty?

Keep your resolve. One test cannot be the beginning or end for ANYONE. I can’t believe the faculty were so unhelpful. But you have your goals in order and they sound right!

Good luck with the house, too. I know it’s been really hard. I hope your husband gives you a break for awhile so you don’t have to worry so much about house hunting.

Hang in there and remember we are thinking of you!

I’m feeling better today…
no great resolution to my “problem” but I’m feeling better…
tomorrow I am supposed to meet with the dean of students and give him my plan…
The truth of it is that I don’t have one… and I have a good reason for it…
I think that for the past 2 months - especially 7 weeks since school started - I’ve been trying to force a plan… trying to make a lot of things work that didn’t want to work… trying to get my husband down here, when he didn’t want to come or wasn’t ready to come… trying to get my kids down here… trying to find housing, etc… worrying about enforcing a plan…and that was a HUGE distraction from school…
on Friday, a couple members of the faculty “suggested” that I get an apartment and tell my husband to get down here etc etc… and while that may be an approach I COULD take… I don’t think it’s a good one… besides trying to find an apartment, which takes time… moving takes time… my husband still doesn’t have a job… etc etc… there would be FAR more distraction for the next month trying to accomplish their plan than just sitting tight.
I’m resolved, right now, to stay where I am as opposed to spending time/energy finding a place… It’s “fine” here. If I get too distracted I’ll try either a different approach (spending more time on campus if that will work) or get a corporate apartment where I don’t have to actually move anything in except what little I brought with me.
anyway… the idea is that I’m getting settled, with being unsettled… and I think that that’s just about the only approach right now that seems reasonable to take… I’ll let you all know how the meeting goes.
Thanks to everyone for all of your support… I really appreciate it… it’s helped me think through a lot of this mess.