Licensing...

Dear Everyone,
Once upon a time, I had seen a nifty article (back in early pre-med days) of all the paperwork and other info that is generally required for state licensure as a physician. The article recommended that medical students and residents start and maintain a small fire-proof cabinet (e.g. a Sentry type fire-box) and put all the needed documents in it. And to start gathering them early! Also, it suggested that to make photocopies of everything and keep the originals and the photocopies in different, secure locations. This would speed getting it together for licensure application. OK, makes sense…
…So does anyone have a list of the usual documents that are required? Some of the paperwork is standard stuff like SS card, Birth certificate and the like; some takes time (like board scores!). If you've got a list or a link, please post it here. Thanks!
Mary

I just have a few moments here right now but I wanted to respond. Sheesh, I wish knew about that article! The best thing to do would be to go on the web sites of the state medical boards where you are likely to be licensed and check their requirements. Each state can vary quite a bit in their requests for documentation. Some states require letters of recommendation and others don’t. Some require even an in person interview (Louisiana, I think?). I’ll check back later as “hubby” is finally off his computer and ready for us to head out. smile.gif

Gee, Mary, I haven’t started that file yet! I have my Step 1 scores here… um, somewhere. Maybe when I get my Step 2 scores I’ll go to file them and find the Step 1 scores too! tongue.gif As for other stuff, at some point I’ll get a transcript from my school but not yet as it’s not complete.
I like burnedoutmd’s suggestion and will check into it sometime but to be honest I don’t see the need to really hurry!
Now, I have heard residents talking in semi-frantic tones about assembling their stuff for licensure. But I don’t think it’s so much things you accumulate during medical school as just jumping through the licensure hoops of whatever jurisdiction you’re in.

QUOTE (Mary Renard @ Aug 31 2003, 02:35 PM)
Gee, Mary, I haven't started that file yet! I have my Step 1 scores here.... um, somewhere. Maybe when I get my Step 2 scores I'll go to file them and find the Step 1 scores too! tongue.gif
... but to be honest I don't see the need to really hurry!
Now, I have heard residents talking in semi-frantic tones about assembling their stuff for licensure. But I don't think it's so much things you accumulate during medical school as just jumping through the licensure hoops of whatever jurisdiction you're in.

Yup, it does sound like I'm putting the cart before the horse here, doesn't it? laugh.gif
Somewhere, yeah, I have it here somewhere, is a short article on medical licensure and how to get the application together lickety-split. I thought it an appropriate CYA procedure to have whatever stuff is needed in a firebox file as recommended in the article....
(I know an internist who's licensure was delayed over 6 months in part due to disorganization. Meanwhile her loans were coming due and she couldn't work w/o her license. The other part involved a lamp that shorted out on her desk and --poof!-- some of her paperwork was done for. It took time to replace even the simple stuff).
I function better when I've got my ducks lined up, so that's why I posted my request. Not planning on any shorted out lamps though! laugh.gif

Hi there,
All I needed is my social security card which I needed for my residency anyway. The rest of the stuff comes from your Dean’s office. You have to request an official transcipt from USMLE which you can do online. This goes directly to your state board of medicine. Here in Virginia, you apply for your permanent liscence at the same time that you apply for USMLE Step III. You are granted you permanent liscence when you pass USMLE Step III.
You do not have to start hoarding tons of little pieces of paper since most of your work is done on line or by your Dean’s office. In Virginia, you have seven years between taking and passing USMLE Step I to take and pass Step III or you have to start over again with Step I. Most people here are taking Step III in the next month so we will have a permanent liscence in a few weeks.

Natalie cool.gif

QUOTE (njbmd @ Aug 31 2003, 07:30 PM)
Hi there,
All I needed is my social security card which I needed for my residency anyway. The rest of the stuff comes from your Dean's office.
Natalie cool.gif

Woo-hooo, Dr. Nat! This is good news. The article I'd read came from Medscape and had a long laundry list of what is needed, in general, for one's license app. If my school does some of it, that's even better! laugh.gif Thanks!