Little Timeline Guidance Here...?

Hi.

My name is Brian – I’m a 28 y/o Special Forces Combat Medic and I’m separating from the Army at the tail end of summer next year. I have formal training in combat medicine, trauma, advanced airways, anesthesia, minor surgery, exotic disease, A&P, and alot of other ailments that typically visit the military demographic. I would like to continue my career in medicine as a doctor, but I am struggling with a realistic timeline to pitch to my wife here … I am hoping some of you kind folks can assist me a little bit.

Here is my situation. Like many individuals on these boards, I have a non-science degree with a cumulative gpa of 3.83. I am looking at some postbacc programs to begin in the fall of next year full-time (on the montgomery gi bill). Naturally, because of my age I am in a hurry to get into med school (probably through the military scholarship).

My understanding is that the med school application process is a year long, so it would behoove me to take the MCAT in 2011 (spring preferably, summer if not). My question is this: if I start my sciences in the fall of 2010 at a postbacc program, will I have enough science education to (competitively) take the MCAT in the spring or summer of the following year?

And if you happen to have some good suggestions for where to look for post bacc or premed requirements for someone in my situation, I would very gladly receive them. Right now I am looking at the University of Louisville b/c my wife and I would be eligible for in-state tuition. However, their program can go as long as 24 months, which seems an awful long time for someone who wants to get started QUICK QUICK QUICK. Any specific or general guidance is immensely appreciated. Thank you so much.

Brian

5th Special Forces Group (Airborne)

SLOW, SLOW, SLOW… marathon, not sprint.

It sucks, I know. I’m almost 45 and have a year left before I can apply, let alone start.

One year general chem. Have that?

One year of organic chem which follows the one year of general chem. Have that?

One year of physics.

One year of biology.

MCAT taken after all that - preferably, after taking MCAT prep class as well.

Typically, a couple of upper division bio/chem/genetics/microbi ology/etc before starting med school.

There is no short cut and you will get a myriad of thoughts on formal post-bacc vs. do-it-yourself (ala, take the classes one needs at own pace).

BTW, you have an outstanding background so I would not worry about quick, quick, quick… and just get 'er done.

Last, /bow. Our American patriots who serve in a war, or serve in a peace keeping capacity, have my deepest and most sincere thanks.

G’luck to you in your quest!!

From civilian to Board Certified Physician

Assuming High School and no college

Eight years PLUS three to six more

Four years for undergradute degree

Four years for Medical School (be it MD or DO)

Three to six years of residency (depending on specialty examples: Family Medicine is three years, general surgery is six years)

My specialty is the “dual residency” of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics a four year residency so I will have 12 year in the game when done!

Richard

I used to be a 66 hotel… Army Nurse… got the EFMB at camp swampy too! Hooah

• jkp2117 Said:
SLOW, SLOW, SLOW... marathon, not sprint.

It sucks, I know. I'm almost 45 and have a year left before I can apply, let alone start.

One year general chem. Have that?

One year of organic chem which follows the one year of general chem. Have that?

One year of physics.

One year of biology.

MCAT taken after all that - preferably, after taking MCAT prep class as well.

Typically, a couple of upper division bio/chem/genetics/microbi ology/etc before starting med school.

There is no short cut and you will get a myriad of thoughts on formal post-bacc vs. do-it-yourself (ala, take the classes one needs at own pace).

BTW, you have an outstanding background so I would not worry about quick, quick, quick... and just get 'er done.

Last, /bow. Our American patriots who serve in a war, or serve in a peace keeping capacity, have my deepest and most sincere thanks.

G'luck to you in your quest!!

Loved this, JKP!

Hawkunit, just to let you know that in this forum you would probably still be considered a baby. I believe that if you took a poll, the majority of members are over 30 years old (I'm 44 myself).

The only thing that I might differ with JKP is the need for a MCAT prep class...that really all depends on the person. What you might want to look into are some of the more home study methods such as Examkrackers and Berkeley Review.

What I definitely would suggest is that you take each of these prereqs and get as much out of them as possible. Be an active student and be sure that when you come across concepts that give you concern, slow down and get them good...they will most likely rear again down the road. You will definitely want to make sure not to take the MCAT until after you finish your prereqs. The chemistry classes will push you into 4 semesters no matter how you look at it. Sem 1 - Gen Chem 1, Sem 2 - Gen Chem 2, Sem 3 - Organic Chem 1, and Sem 4 - Organic Chem 2. Unless you have absolutely no other classes or obligations (working more than 20 hrs/week), DO NOT take organic chemistry (specifically 1) in the summer.

During your glide year (the year that you apply for medical school would probably be a good time to take care of the more upper level sciences that JKP suggested. You'll have this on your AMCAS/AACOMAS application of classes that you will be undertaking.

If you continue with a GPA in science as you have with your degree and get a good MCAT score, you will definitely have success. Don't rush it, enjoy the process!

And Thank you for your service to this country and to all of your fellow Americans!

with posts like this I always asked the question, is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly? Perhaps the most common process mistake non-trads make is feeling that because they are older they have to do everything NOW! It can be a recipe for disaster. Schools look at GPA and MCAT as the first two factors in an application so taking time to do well in course work and preparing for the MCAT are vital to being accepted to medical school

Folks thank you for the feedback – it is all very good. I think one of the biggest contributing factors in wanting to check the block for premed quickly is that some of the formal post bacc programs can fulfill those requirements in the space of 12 months, which is relatively short. I would much rather do something well in a longer period of time than to do it poorly in a shorter timeframe, especially when both GPA and MCAT are the gatekeepers for med school. Anything that jeopardizes either of them is a poor investment, in my opinion.

To those of you who have started the journey so much later in your life than me, well, all I can say is that my hat is off to you. I hope that I can revisit these boards occasionally over the course of the next decade. Thanks for the help.

Something else to consider when you are comparing postbacc programs is COST. Those twelve-month programs can actually be pretty pricey. A do-it-yourself at a 4-year-college can be significantly less expensive.

You have time to consider all these options which is great for you - you will be able to collect a whole lotta information before you actually take your first step, and that is very much in your favor.

Mary