Long-time Visitor; First-time Poster

Hello All,

As the topic says, I am a long time visitor to this website and finally decided to create an account and become active as a registered member. A small info about me;

I am an RN and realized in a year left to graduate from the program that nursing isn’t really my passion. But I decided to finish what I started and graduated with honors. After graduation, I was contemplating really hard if I should get my license or back and get my pre-reqs done (took me 5 months to decide!) I decided to get my license and got a job. Now I work at a Transitional Care Unit/Nursing Home. The experience and $ is good, but the passion for medicine is still there. So I have decided to go back and begin pre-reqs this coming spring at the State University where I graduated. I am very motivated and hope to get more motivation and support from everyone. Thank you for reading and please post your advice/tips/comments.

Thanks Again.

Congratulations on a longtime lurker becoming a poster.

Many of our members and successes were RN or allied health professionals before taking the path to becoming a physician. You probably made a good call in completing your nursing and working as an RN while getting your prereqs done. There is a a perception by students, advisors, and med school admissions staff that “jumping” (ie applying directly from nursing school) can raise questions about commitment, direction, and motivation of an applicant). Working for a few years in the field and ten applying implies a more deliberate, thoughtful analysis on the part of the applicant.

Welcome to OPM!

Whenever you have questions just jump in and post; as a lurker you know there are lots of us who spend more time on here than we should, answering away.

Welcome, DoctorMe!

• DoctorMe Said:
I am an RN and realized in a year left to graduate from the program that nursing isn't really my passion.

You mentioned that nursing was not your passion. Why is that, and what about medicine satisfies the lack you felt in nursing?

Just curious!

You mentioned that nursing was not your passion. Why is that, and what about medicine satisfies the lack you felt in nursing?

Just curious!

You know i have asked myself several times why medicine? It is the science of managing care that draws me. The challenges motivate me and not just being an advocate but having the autonomy to provide care is what fuels the passion. Medicine has all this included in it.

Welcome Doctor Me!

You will find that there are a lot of nurses who are striving to cross over into medicine. Good luck with your journey.